• 2 Post By DaisyTweets
  • 4 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189
  • 6 Post By chevrolet
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 6 Post By mtreasmith
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: There's only one Linda Ronstadt (Carrie mention)

Junior Carrie Follower

There's only one Linda Ronstadt (Carrie mention)

Concert Stars
    The writer really gives props to Carrie and her powerful voice. Yes Carrie is no Linda Ronstadt, but Linda is no Carrie either. Both women have powerful rich voices but two singers are never alike. Having said that, when I heard Different Drum, I couldn't help but think Linda was listening thinking, "that girl sounds a lot like me".

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    The most poignant moment, however, is the tribute by Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow and Stevie Nicks to inductee Linda Ronstadt.

The all-star singers do a great job as they belt out "Silver Threads and Golden Needles," "When Will I Be Loved," "Blue Bayou," "Different Drum" and "It's So Easy."

Everybody gets a turn in the spotlight during the emotional tribute, and each singer gives it her all. Crow and Nicks especially do themselves proud, and I love Raitt's weary, bluesy voice. But the singer who sounds most like Ronstadt is Underwood.

Blessed with powerful pipes, like Ronstadt's, Underwood can really hit the high notes. Her harmony is sweet, too, and she's clearly the star of this segment.

But as good as Underwood is, she's no Ronstadt. You can hear Crow and Underwood reaching back with everything they have to duplicate Ronstadt's sound. But Linda, like a 12-cylinder Mercedes-Benz engine smoothly shifting to a higher gear, was never taxed. Her rich, full sound simply grew sweeter and more powerful as she soared effortlessly through the high notes.

You could see that Ronstadt really mattered to the women, and as inspiring as the segment is, it makes me sad every time I see it.

This was a great article.

Concert Stars
    I really do appreciate that the writer appreciated what Carrie brought.

And so I will remain only "slightly miffed" at the need to suggest that Carrie is no Ronstadt. Its like saying an actor is no Cary Grant! OF course not, when you are that good you bring yourself to the table. Not someone else.

(and I will ignore his suggestion that Carrie had to "reach". Clearly he is not familiar enough with Carries voice to know that she didnt even break a sweat that night. She had that whole performance in her back pocket.)

I greatly appreciate Lindas talent and would suggest no one is like her. But I agree with Jptexas, "no one is like Carrie Underwood either".

And lastly, as much as I like Sheryl Crow, and I really do, you can not compare her voice to someone like Carrie or Linda. Not even close.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is in a whole league of her own. She did Linda proud that night. Her performance of "Different Drum" was wonderful. Stevie Nicks praised Carrie, saying:

So I could sing "Different Drum." I couldn't sing it as good as Carrie Underwood just sang it, I have to say, God bless her.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I really do appreciate that the writer appreciated what Carrie brought.

And so I will remain only "slightly miffed" at the need to suggest that Carrie is no Ronstadt. Its like saying an actor is no Cary Grant! OF course not, when you are that good you bring yourself to the table. Not someone else.

(and I will ignore his suggestion that Carrie had to "reach". Clearly he is not familiar enough with Carries voice to know that she didnt even break a sweat that night. She had that whole performance in her back pocket.)

I greatly appreciate Lindas talent and would suggest no one is like her. But I agree with Jptexas, "no one is like Carrie Underwood either".

And lastly, as much as I like Sheryl Crow, and I really do, you can not compare her voice to someone like Carrie or Linda. Not even close.
    just love this whole post
    thanks

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Paddy, please share your thoughts with the author in the comments section. I'd be real curious to see if you'd get any response from him.

ETA: Guess there's no comments section to share comments. Too bad. I really think this guy would respond.
    rainbow1 and pklongbeach like this.

Linda isn't Carrie. Carrie isn't Linda. They both have equally beautiful vocals and are incredible artists. Thank god we have these two talented ladies.

Concert Stars
    ^^ exactly!
    lizcarlo likes this.

But as good as Underwood is, she's no Ronstadt. You can hear Crow and Underwood reaching back with everything they have to duplicate Ronstadt's sound. But Linda, like a 12-cylinder Mercedes-Benz engine smoothly shifting to a higher gear, was never taxed. Her rich, full sound simply grew sweeter and more powerful as she soared effortlessly through the high notes.

I disagree. Linda certainly had a rich, full voice (and I adore her) but was not known for powerful high notes. If it sounded effortless it was probably because the note wasn't really as high as the writer thought. Carrie wouldn't attempt a note if she felt "taxed." She knows her own capabilities well and would switch to falsetto if she suspected she'd be "taxed." Carrie always belts in full chest-voice....that's just her style.

Concert Stars
    Exactly. The key of the song has a lot to do with weather a persons voice sounds "powerful" singing it. IT it is set right in the middle of their range of course it is going to sound effortless.

BtW, Carrie has a naturally higher voice than linda anyway. Singing higher does not make someone better. Just higher.
    I believe Lindas lower ranger is much stronger than Carries. Carrie has always struggled with her low range, cause as a "naturally trained" singer, she did not spend much time focused on it. IT has getten 100 times better than it was 9 years ago though.
    That is what comes with practice.

PRactice can not turn a nonsinger into a singer, but it can certainly improve on what someone already has...
    DaisyTweets and oldyfan like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I love how people outside of country music recognizes her talent more than people inside of her own genre. very neat.

Concert Stars
    To this day there are many in the country music industry who still see Carrie as someone foisted upon them without acceptance.
    They don't say it in polite company but it shows it self in many other ways...........
    DaisyTweets likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Tragically, Linda will never be heard singing again in this world, and is unlikely to be able to make any more public appearances, even as a guest.

Carrie has been praised by many fans as the real star of the tribute - I think this is based more on the way she entered into the ethos of the songs, and reminded people of the spirit, power and dedication of the younger Linda. I think the reviewer, when he said she "reached" for Linda meant that she was drawing on her experience and feel for the songs to honour Linda's character and soul as a singer - which she achieved - rather than implying she was "reaching" for particular notes. As has been said, Linda had a somewhat deeper voice, and I don't believe her typical range was as great as Carrie's. Carrie, though, struck many people as being able to draw on a persona as a singer that left a similar impression to Linda's command of the songs (especially on Different Drum and Blue Bayou.) That is probably more significant than specific points of comparison between the timbre of their voices.

Linda's last original recording was the traditionally inspired "Adieu False Heart", a collaboration album with Acadian singer, Ann Savoy, issued in 2006. It contained this beautiful Julie Miller cover (and, as I've said before, I'd love to see Carrie herself record something by Julie too)

hjj, txacar, tigercae and 2 others like this.

•