• 2 Post By lizcarlo
  • 6 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By lolita55
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Bonnie Raitt on 'I Can't Make You Love Me': 'It struck me deeply'

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Bonnie Raitt on 'I Can't Make You Love Me': 'It struck me deeply'

It's a staple now on TV singing shows.
    Carrie Underwood and Emmylou Harris and I worked up “Blue Bayou” for the Linda Ronstadt tribute [at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in April], and the first time I met Carrie, I found out that she had auditioned [for “Idol”] with “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” It’s meant so much. I used to get a lot with “Angel From Montgomery” and “Something to Talk About,” but of all the songs I’ll ever be associated with, the number of people -- of all races, all ages, all musical genres -- that come up to me and almost tear up talking about what that song means to them, that’ll make it the greatest gift I’ve ever had musically.

Bonnie Raitt on 'I Can't Make You Love Me': 'It struck me deeply'*-*Los Angeles Times

Concert Stars
    Nice! Love her!

Concert Stars
    I'm glad that Bonnie was touched by Carrie's choice of audition songs. I've always wished that Martina McBride had been more vocal about Carrie's tributes to her music during her Idol run. It seems like it would be the ultimate compliment to an artist when someone chooses their songs to cover and mentions them as musical influences. Nice to see Bonnie acknowledge that!

Concert Stars
    I think Martina felt too threatened.
    Pi314CA, bluetb4, PRGuy79 and 3 others like this.

Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I always wished Carrie would have done a full band version of the full song. For most of us we first heard Carrie do the song on a magical night of television where she caught our eyes and ears and captured our heart and soul.

Concert Stars
    love her and Carrie's rendition of this!

Concert Stars
    Love all the respect that both Bonnie R and Stevie N showed Carrie.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by EWHLAD View Post
    I always wished Carrie would have done a full band version of the full song. For most of us we first heard Carrie do the song on a magical night of television where she caught our eyes and ears and captured our heart and soul.
    I think thats a great idea.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Didn't Carrie say in some sort of AI rewind interview that she actually didn't know what song she was going to sing for her audition and I Can't Make You Love Me just popped into her head as she entered the room so she sang in? I feel like I distinctly remember her saying that, but that lack of planning also goes completely against the type of person she is.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    Didn't Carrie say in some sort of AI rewind interview that she actually didn't know what song she was going to sing for her audition and I Can't Make You Love Me just popped into her head as she entered the room so she sang in? I feel like I distinctly remember her saying that, but that lack of planning also goes completely against the type of person she is.
    I do not think Carrie ever thought that in a million years, that she would win American Idol.. So I get the feeling that she went there thinking that she was going to get the most out of that experience that she possible could..

How sweet of Bonnie to show her so much respect.
    rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    This song was written by Nashville veterans Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin, and it's a great example of the "song first" tradition that the genre does at its best. I think it's significant that they gave it to Bonnie, a Country-Blues singer better known on the club circuit, rather than to one of the more stagy vocalists prominent in the Nashville Mainstream of the early nineties. The song shows a great combination of lyric and music used to convey a depth of emotion. It can survive performance by a great variety of voices (and has).

The style has similarities with some of the cover songs that Carrie performed before going on American Idol - but it's not clear to me whether she knew it primarily through Bonnie's classic version, or secondarily through a cover version performed by George Michael, an artist whom she cites as one of her heroes.

Either way, I'm proud of her for choosing this song. It would have been easy to pick some bouncy contemporary Pop or booming Mainstream Country vocal, but choosing this shows Carrie's confidence and artistry in picking a song which depends on finding an emotional depth and vulnerability.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGuy79 View Post
    I'm glad that Bonnie was touched by Carrie's choice of audition songs. I've always wished that Martina McBride had been more vocal about Carrie's tributes to her music during her Idol run. It seems like it would be the ultimate compliment to an artist when someone chooses their songs to cover and mentions them as musical influences. Nice to see Bonnie acknowledge that!
    Me too, Carrie said more than once that Martina was her favorite country singer, and she sang what two or three of her songs on idol... If I was a singer, and somebody had that much admiration for me, I would be honored, and made sure I said good things about that person.. Who knows for whatever reason, maybe Martina does not like her.. But, she still should be able to recognize Carrie's tremendous talent, and compilment her on it..
    bluetb4 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I don't follow her closely enough to know whether she praises, or appears friendly towards other current younger singers either. But I think Rainbow may be right. It can be easier for people like Loretta Lynn or Tanya Tucker to talk in terms that suggest they see Carrie as someone they can pass the torch to - but Martina is still following an active, radio-focused career (and, arguably, has not found it easy to find top material of late). In a sense, she may be too close to the impression of replacement to be entirely at ease with it. I don't want to exaggerate that, since it may be unfair when we don't know all the circumstances - but if it is part of the explanation, I don't think Martina would be the only artist in that position.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I don't follow her closely enough to know whether she praises, or appears friendly towards other current younger singers either. But I think Rainbow may be right. It can be easier for people like Loretta Lynn or Tanya Tucker to talk in terms that suggest they see Carrie as someone they can pass the torch to - but Martina is still following an active, radio-focused career (and, arguably, has not found it easy to find top material of late). In a sense, she may be too close to the impression of replacement to be entirely at ease with it. I don't want to exaggerate that, since it may be unfair when we don't know all the circumstances - but if it is part of the explanation, I don't think Martina would be the only artist in that position.
    Yeah, Faith is kind of in the same boat as her, and I would say to an extent Sara Evans as well..

•