• 3 Post By epicamends
  • 4 Post By teesharky
  • 5 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 2 Post By bluetb4
  • 2 Post By epicamends
  • 4 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 2 Post By teesharky

Thread: Rolling Stone - Flashback: Carrie Underwood Channels Axl Rose at CMA Music Fest

Rolling Stone - Flashback: Carrie Underwood Channels Axl Rose at CMA Music Fest

Rolling Stone has some high praise for Carrie's 2013 CMA Fest performance:
    If the original members of Guns N' Roses ever wanted to reunite without Axl Rose, they might be wise to ask Carrie Underwood to fill his bandanna. Right down to the scarf dangling from her back pocket to her own set of whirling dervish spins, the increasingly badass country diva channeled the mercurial lead singer to close out 2013's CMA Music Festival, performing the Guns smash "Paradise City."

Rolling Stones, Carrie Underwood Rip Through 'It's Only Rock n' Roll'

[snip]

Underwood, however, had the stadium full of country fans — many of whom likely came of age when Guns N' Roses were an MTV mainstay — enraptured from the second she blew that traffic-cop whistle to signal the song's big bang. It was such commitment to detail that made her "Paradise City" a standout performance. This wasn't a phoned-in cover or a heavy-metal lark, the kind some country artists add to their set as if to say, "Hey, I can rock too."

With her bare legs stomping the stage, Underwood paid due attention to every word of Rose's lyrics, delivering the "Are you blind?" aside with particular fierceness. And when the song reached its crescendo, the singer went right over the edge with it, twirling like a tornado and tossing in more than a few banshee wails. The only thing missing from the Guns N' Roses usual show-stopper was Rose's signature farewell, "Thank you, good ****ing night!" But then again, CMA Fest is a family show.

Flashback: Carrie Underwood Channels Axl Rose at CMA Music Fest - Video | Rolling Stone

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This was one of the best performances of Carrie's entire career in my opinion. She put so much energy into it. Loved it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    This was one of the best performances of Carrie's entire career in my opinion. She put so much energy into it. Loved it.
    GAC aired this special last night so since I couldn't watch the RNRHF on HBO, I watched this. And yes her kicking off the show with this song and performance was priceless. I NEVER get tired watching it!!!

I agree. I thought she couldn't top the energy she had when she performed PC with Jason Aldean, but she did it last year even better. Her stage confidence these days is just incredible.

Concert Stars
    Still have it on my dvr....can't let it go!!!
    bluetb4, Inspired and carrieguy2 like this.

Carrie Guru
    I agree with you.

Concert Stars
    Is it me or have RS finally caved in and giving Carrie her due respect??? Loving it
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Now, let's see what they say about this years Hall of Fame performances and continue the Carrie praise.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    Now, let's see what they say about this years Hall of Fame performances and continue the Carrie praise.
    You change your avitar picture, JP -- I like it . (I just notice it today)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Love this!

Carrie's performance of PC was absolutely amazing, and I kinda loved that she went into full-on fangirl mode for it.

THAT'S the Carrie that I love to see.

IMO, this is one of her best performances ever, and I'm not really sure if she can ever top the energy of this one.

Also, I'm convinced Axl has seen a few of Carrie's GN'R performances and possibly likes them, because he doesn't give permission to just anyone to use or perform GN'R's music.

That in itself is a HUGE compliment to Carrie, and she certainly did GN'R proud with that performance.

Concert Stars
    wow that's amazing coming from them!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Love this!

Carrie's performance of PC was absolutely amazing, and I kinda loved that she went into full-on fangirl mode for it.

THAT'S the Carrie that I love to see.

IMO, this is one of her best performances ever, and I'm not really sure if she can ever top the energy of this one.

Also, I'm convinced Axl has seen a few of Carrie's GN'R performances and possibly likes them, because he doesn't give permission to just anyone to use or perform GN'R's music.

That in itself is a HUGE compliment to Carrie, and she certainly did GN'R proud with that performance.
    I swear I read several years ago that he commented about loving Carrie's GN'R covers, but I've never been able to find a quote of that ever since then.

Concert Stars
    Pretty crazy that RS is finally giving Carrie attention lately. Wow. After about 8 years of completely ignoring her. lol I agree that this was one of the best performances of Carrie's life, for sure-- especially in terms of stage presence.

^ Well GNR follows Carrie on twitter and tweeted her cover, so they definitely approved. I would die to know what Axl thought!

I know Carrie got to meet Slash a few times at award shows etc-- but I am not sure if she ever met Axl.

Brett Michaels of Poison follows Carrie on twitter, which is so great.

If this were the 80s, Carrie would have been bigger then Blondie and Pat Benatar. She would have owned Big hair rocker chick status. lol

I feel like the significant and growing amount of support and respect for Carrie in the rock music community is definitely contributing to Rolling Stone's somewhat newfound willingness to cover her.

Concert Stars
    ^ I think you are right. But it still doesn't explain their obssession with Taylor or their choice to give Bieber and TS cover stories. lol Trust me-- I do not know of a SINGLE rock fan in my entire city that wants to read about TS or Bieber in Rollingstone magazine, or anywhere for that matter. lol

But either way, it is nice to see them covering Carrie finally. lol
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I feel like the significant and growing amount of support and respect for Carrie in the rock music community is definitely contributing to Rolling Stone's somewhat newfound willingness to cover her.

I agree. They weren't raving about this performance last summer...when they should have. Something has changed their mind about Carrie.

Too bad they are just now opening their eyes toward Carrie...they have missed her singing her heart out for years now.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ I think you are right. But it still doesn't explain their obssession with Taylor or their choice to give Bieber and TS cover stories. lol Trust me-- I do not know of a SINGLE rock fan in my entire city that wants to read about TS or Bieber in Rollingstone magazine, or anywhere for that matter. lol

But either way, it is nice to see them covering Carrie finally. lol
    Because Rolling Stone is a corporate magazine that has sold out multiple times in order to sell copies and make money. lol. As Kurt Cobain would say, even on the cover of Rolling Stone, "corporate magazines still suck." ;-)
    teesharky and Carrieflattsfan like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Carrie has worked extremely hard to earn the respect of so many different people over the years.

Carrie did a lot to cement herself outside of Country music last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if TSOM, SNF, etc. helped more people see that Carrie is not only a great artist, but she has an appeal that expands way beyond the realms of Country music.

Most legendary pop culture magazines will cover Pop and Rock artists, but when it comes to Country they don't seem as quick to come around. Even the biggest stars in Country music right now (Luke and Blake), would never be in an edition of Rolling Stone, aside from a small occasional excerpt.

I think big publishers are still hesitant to give Country acts "props" the way that they do Pop and Rock artists, because that's the way things have gone on for a long time.
    Country has dealt with a major shift over the past decade or so, but now major publications are having to catch up with it, too.

Carrie is probably the Country artist out right now with the most appeal. and her stints in TSOM, SNF, and even her Superbowl National Anthem performance have helped propel her way beyond the realm of Country music.

When you consider Carrie just performed at the RHOF with Rock legends, there's no doubt that has to have done wonders to help more people take notice of Carrie's ever-growing popularity and acclaim among RS' own chosen grounds.

I think the tides have changed, and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people who are willing to step up and say times have changed and Country acts deserve as much coverage than their mainstream peers.

When you consider that there have been a dozen or more acts who have broken the barriers and can keep up with even the biggest Pop stars and sell millions of albums and concert tickets, but there are STILL only a select few who have had the chance to seem as 'big' as their Pop peers with Rolling Stone covers and Superbowl gigs and overall respect and coverage in the mainstream media, I think it speaks volumes to the gap between public perception and the mainstream media one.

Two other pretty important things to consider, though:
    CMA Fest is this week, and that article is a good way to get the word out, while still having a tie-in to Rock.
    Rolling Stone is creating a website called "Rolling Stone Country" and they'll be opening more than a dozen offices in Nashville in the second half of 2014.
    I think this speaks to the fact that as a mainstream publication they are cognizant of the fact that they need to catch up with the times a little bit and maybe broaden their audience in the process. This might have been a little way of welcoming that in, especially with CMA Fest this week, and Carrie's performance at the RHOF.

There’s a really big void in the digital coverage of country music as far as giving it the serious attention it deserves,” Gus Wenner, director of RollingStone.com, said, comparing the genre’s popularity to Nascar. “I saw some similarities and thought it could be an opportunity for Rolling Stone.”

“There’s a huge opportunity for us to expand the Rolling Stone consumer base by extending into country music,” added Chris McLoughlin, Rolling Stone‘s publisher, who said the brand will spend more than $1 million on the new site in 2014.

# [Updated]: ?Rolling Stone? To Open Nashville Office : MusicRow ? Nashville's Music Industry Publication ? News, Songs From Music City

Concert Stars
    ^ Wow. So maybe that new RS Country site has something to do with RS paying more attention to Carrie. Still- I do think the other reasons you all mentioned are the most important factors for them suddenly paying attention to Carrie.

Have you noticed that they said "Country is the new Rock" after Miranda and Carrie did Something Bad at the Billboards? lol They said they rocked harder then anyone else there, and they are country. lol
    rainbow1 and carrieguy2 like this.

•