• 3 Post By Claire2004
  • 4 Post By epicamends
  • 2 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: Country Uiverse Review of "Somethin' Bad"

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Country Uiverse Review of "Somethin' Bad"

Country Universe review by Kevin Coyne

This is just a plain ol’ good girls on their baddest behavior ditty. Well, not their baddest behavior. Underwood doesn’t key up anyone’s car and Lambert doesn’t kill anybody. But it’s all in good fun, and both ladies can perform the thing solo just fine when the other isn’t around.

And kudos to the production, I feel I should mention. There were a few moments I thought it was gonna go all eighties glam rock, but the record pulls back before it goes over the edge, and we get just the ladies and a rhythm track, which actually supports the lyric better. Somethin’ bad’s gonna happen, but….not yet. Good stuff.

Grade: B+

Single Review: Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood, ?Somethin? Bad? | Country Universe ? A Country Music Blog

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting. Nice article.

Concert Stars
    Glad that the article gave it a decent grade.

I am certain, in my own head, that if this had been a Carrie song, the grade would be considerably lower and the references to 80's rock and Aerosmith would have been much sterner and more pointed.

So I do believe this song will be as I suspected. Accepted because its a Miranda song and not because Carrie brought anthing to the party.

Now that I have heard it again, Carrie basically dominates this song vocally. Miranda gets lost in the arrangement almost all the time. She does not have the character in her voice to stand out the way Carries voice does.

Anyway, I did leave a comment, and it "was" rather Carrie centric but that is only because most of the comments were in support of Miranda but calling out carrie references as if they were somehow the fault that the whole song does not present itself better.

At some point, I just feel it is only fair to give an honest review as I see it, and not color coat things. It seems ver popular to use Miranda as a "tried-n-true" reference to the good in country, and then use Carries name as the anti-reference. And after alwhile I just have had enough.

Carrie deserves to be supported just as much as Miranda. So that is what I did. Honestly. With no negativity toward anyone. Just honesty as I see it.........

And it almost looked refreshing to see a comment on a country board that was actually supportive of Carrie as opposed to "over anylizing and critical".

I know some people didn't like the production, but I actually really really like the production!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The song is perfect for their voices and their personalities. I definitely think it will be a hit. I am excited to see the music video.

Concert Stars
    its an ok song...but I love it because I love Carrie!

Concert Stars
    Wow, most of the people who commented did not like the song!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That's a fair grade.

The song isn't meant to be a lyrical classic it's meant to be fun and that is what it is.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    its an ok song...but I love it because I love Carrie!
    Yeah... If Carrie had no involvement I wouldn't give the song a second thought. I'm surprised that it got to #2 on iTunes (though it was still quite a bit behind #1) even with all the other Billboard performances despite the song being so polarizing even among country fans.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Glad that the article gave it a decent grade.

I am certain, in my own head, that if this had been a Carrie song, the grade would be considerably lower and the references to 80's rock and Aerosmith would have been much sterner and more pointed.

So I do believe this song will be as I suspected. Accepted because its a Miranda song and not because Carrie brought anthing to the party.

Now that I have heard it again, Carrie basically dominates this song vocally. Miranda gets lost in the arrangement almost all the time. She does not have the character in her voice to stand out the way Carries voice does.

Anyway, I did leave a comment, and it "was" rather Carrie centric but that is only because most of the comments were in support of Miranda but calling out carrie references as if they were somehow the fault that the whole song does not present itself better.

At some point, I just feel it is only fair to give an honest review as I see it, and not color coat things. It seems ver popular to use Miranda as a "tried-n-true" reference to the good in country, and then use Carries name as the anti-reference. And after alwhile I just have had enough.

Carrie deserves to be supported just as much as Miranda. So that is what I did. Honestly. With no negativity toward anyone. Just honesty as I see it.........

And it almost looked refreshing to see a comment on a country board that was actually supportive of Carrie as opposed to "over anylizing and critical".
    The grade would not have been lower. The reviewer at Country Universe is a huge Carrie fan and actually loves her rock stuff.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

I like that the reviewer appreciated SB for what it is, an opportunity for the 2 women to rock out and have fun.
    lizcarlo, CALEBJOE and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    Wow, most of the people who commented did not like the song!
    Unfortunately that's the way it goes on the internet. Negative people are always the loudest and most vocal.

Considering how much time the song spent in the iTunes all-genre top 10, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people really enjoyed the song.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    The grade would not have been lower. The reviewer at Country Universe is a huge Carrie fan and actually loves her rock stuff.
    Actually, if any Country Universe writer other than Kevin had reviewed SB, I wouldn't have been shocked at all by a lower grade. LOL.

Kevin seems to be more open towards Carrie's artistic style, and he recognizes she can take a great song and make it better, or take an average song and make it an enjoyable listen.

I feel like most of the other critics on other sites just want Carrie to be serious and artistically great, whereas Kevin realizes she is who she is, and reviews it based on reviewing Carrie "as is" and not downgrading her because of who he wants her to be artistically.
    opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Actually, if any Country Universe writer other than Kevin had reviewed SB, I wouldn't have been shocked at all by a lower grade. LOL.

Kevin seems to be more open towards Carrie's artistic style, and he recognizes she can take a great song and make it better, or take an average song and make it an enjoyable listen.

I feel like most of the other critics on other sites just want Carrie to be serious and artistically great, whereas Kevin realizes she is who she is, and reviews it based on reviewing Carrie "as is" and not downgrading her because of who he wants her to be artistically.
    Dan has always been pretty fair. and even Leeann is warming up to Carrie these days!! It seems that every comment of hers lately has been how she likes how Carrie sounds on a particular song or that she is liking Carrie more and more in general.

Country Universe has always been the only country blog I regularly visit. They're not overly active there, but that's ok! They make up for it with good, solid material.

ETA: Ben Foster loves Carrie too!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Thanks for introducing the article to us

•