• 11 Post By Ann055
  • 3 Post By liz278
  • 1 Post By Carrie_Rocks_The_House
  • 2 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By teesharky
  • 7 Post By cary78663
  • 8 Post By cary78663
  • 1 Post By maddkat

Thread: Carrie Underwood Competing in Mini/Movie, 'Sound of Music' in Special Class at Emmy's

Carrie Underwood Competing in Mini/Movie, 'Sound of Music' in Special Class at Emmy's

Carrie Underwood competing in mini/movie, 'Sound of Music' in special class at Emmys

Gold Derby has exclusively learned that ratings blockbuster "The Sound of Music" is taking an unusual approach to this year's Emmy Awards. On the ballot released this June, the production will be listed as a Special Class Program while the performers will be over in the movie/miniseries categories.

The three-hour live version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical aired last Dec. 5 on NBC. It tells the story of a novice nun Maria Von Trapp (Carrie Underwood ) who falls in love with Captain von Trapp (Stephen Moyer) while caring for his seven children in Nazi-occupied Austria. Backed by a boffo promotional effort, it delivered a massive 18.5 million viewers. Excluding sports, it was the peacock net's most-watched Thursday since the "Frasier" finale in 2004.

By entering as a Special Class program, it follows the path of the "Live from Lincoln Center" production of "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel" that nominated in this category last year. It lost to the 66th annual Tony Awards.

As Special Class offers no opportunties for performers to be nominated, the TV Academy allows them to compete in the movie/miniseries categories which also includes specials. NBC will enter Underwood and Moyers as leads while Laura Benanti, Audra McDonald, and Christian Borle will be eligible in supporting.

Past Oscar champs and two-time Oscarcast producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan ("Chicago") assembled the extravaganza. It aired just before Golden Globe and SAG Awards voters turned in their ballots, but failed to gain no traction with either of these kudos.

This classic tuner has a strong awards pedigree. The very first EGOT champ composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist Oscar Hammerstein wrote the well-known score which includes the title song, "My Favorite Things," "Do-Re-Mi," "Sixteen Going on Seventeen," "Climb Every Mountain," and "Edelweiss."

The original Broadway show won five Tony Awards in 1959, including Best Musical and Actress (Mary Martin). And the blockbuster 1965 film version claimed five Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director (Robert Wise). Julie Andrews was nominated for Best Actress while Peggy Wood, as the Reverend Mother (played by five-time Tony champ McDonald in the new version), reaped a Supporting Actress bid.

This production marked the first live network television broadcast of a Broadway show since 1957's "Cinderella" on CBS, which also starred Andrews. Like that one, there was no audience in the large New York City complex where this was staged. It featured a cast of 61 performers and a 40-piece orchestra.

Will Underwood reap an Emmy bid for Best TV Movie/Miniseries Actress? Vote below using our easy drag-and-drop menu.

Concert Stars
    I really, really want TSOM to at least get an emmy nod. I don't see how the voters can overlook the HUGE numbers it brought it. But you never know. I would LOVE for Carrie to get a nomination also, but I am not holding my breath for that one :-)

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Thanks For posting.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Voted for Carrie
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    oh I hope it gets nominated!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think that it should get a nom in the Special Class category just for the sheer effort it took to pull it off, as well as for the amazing number of viewers it brought in. It was something that hadn't been attempted in over 50 years on television. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Audra, Christian, or Laura get a supporting role nomination, but I am sure they will be up against some stiff competition because of the movies and miniseries on the cable networks. It is so hard for anyone to compete with those. I don't see Carrie or Stephen getting a nomination, unfortunately. Maybe if they only had to compete with the major network programs, but you throw in all those cable specials and I think it will be near impossible.

Concert Stars
    I hope the show as a whole gets nominated in that special class. It deserves it! Is there a category for soundtrack too? If so it has a good chance. The soundtrack was superb.

i would die of joy if carrie got nominated individually- but I fear the hate carrie got for her acting may overpower the love she got for her singing and dancing. She deserves a nomination- bug i am not sure how this will play out.

but the show as a whole was great and deserves a nom. Carrie would get to attend and do the red carpet etc if the show as a whole is nominated in special class- even if she is not.

Audra has a very strong chance for a supporting cast nom - as does Laura Benanti. Both got great reviews.

They may pass on carrie and Stephen even though both did very well. But perhaps Audra will get in- as well as the show as a whole.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I hope the show as a whole gets nominated in that special class. It deserves it! Is there a category for soundtrack too? If so it has a good chance. The soundtrack was superb.

i would die of joy if carrie got nominated individually- but I fear the hate carrie got for her acting may overpower the love she got for her singing and dancing. She deserves a nomination- bug i am not sure how this will play out.

but the show as a whole was great and deserves a nom. Carrie would get to attend and do the red carpet etc if the show as a whole is nominated in special class- even if she is not.

Audra has a very strong chance for a supporting cast nom - as does Laura Benanti. Both got great reviews.

They may pass on carrie and Stephen even though both did very well. But perhaps Audra will get in- as well as the show as a whole.
    There is a category at the Grammys for Best Musical Theater Album. The soundtrack could be eligible for that category.
    bluetb4, teesharky, pgk and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    That would be soooo great!!

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    There is a category at the Grammys for Best Musical Theater Album. The soundtrack could be eligible for that category.
    As a note, the description of this award changed a couple of years ago to add the primary vocalist(s) to the list of those receiving a Grammy in this category. So if the SOML soundtrack won this category, Carrie would receive a Grammy. Since we don't know what they exactly mean by "primary", I don't know for sure who else would get one. But looking at the last 2 winner, only 2 artists were listed as getting Grammys. So if they follow that pattern, I would think Audra would be the second artist.

Concert Stars
    ^ tx cary! Honestly if Carrie and Audra were the 2 primary artists selected, that is fair, as they sang the most on the cd and were the best vocalists overall for the whole production. Gosh that would be great. I hope it is nominated.

Since the Globes snubbed SOM completely-- even Audra-- I am a little wary that the Emmys will too. But perhaps now that some time passed, the hate will have diminished.

It is a good sign thaT the SOM directors got a nomination for the Director's Guild for SOM. That is pretty huge.

I wouldn't say that the soml was snubbed by the globes since people not all but a good % probably voted before it even aired.

Concert Stars
    ^ that is the problem. They should have Waited to submit som till next year's Globes. I worried all along that the voters would have already cast their ballots long before SOM
    aired.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

This may sound really bad coming from a Carrie fan, but I don't think that Carrie or Stephen deserve nominations. Did they do well enough? Yes. Did they put on award-winning performances? I don't think so. Even without seeing any of the movies or mini-series on the cable networks (which I no longer have), I am pretty sure that most of those seasoned actors will have done a better job than Carrie and Stephen. If Carrie or Stephen by some miracle got nominated, it would be like getting an A for effort, rather than for the output or product.

PS - I guess Stephen is technically seasoned or experienced, but he was very stiff in SOML, I felt and not even close to being on par with the Broadway actors.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    This may sound really bad coming from a Carrie fan, but I don't think that Carrie or Stephen deserve nominations. Did they do well enough? Yes. Did they put on award-winning performances? I don't think so. Even without seeing any of the movies or mini-series on the cable networks (which I no longer have), I am pretty sure that most of those seasoned actors will have done a better job than Carrie and Stephen. If Carrie or Stephen by some miracle got nominated, it would be like getting an A for effort, rather than for the output or product.

PS - I guess Stephen is technically seasoned or experienced, but he was very stiff in SOML, I felt and not even close to being on par with the Broadway actors.
    It's okay. I am on the same boat as you. Carrie did GREAT for being so new to it and the fact that it was LIVE. Carrie is a singer, first and foremost and are singing was SUPERB. However, her acting performance was not good enough for a nomination. I fear the backlash she will get for getting nominated. Carrie will improve over time. Carrie excelled at the singing, obviously but the acting was okay. I give her an A++++++ for effort. I am glad she was so courageous and took on the role. It was an once in a lifetime opportunity and the fact that she was asked speaks such high volume for her. THIS IS WHY I LOVE CARRIE! She is a risk taker! Bless her heart! (I do want the CD to win a grammy as it was beautiful!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Haven't we learned over the past week with the ACM results, and then Carrie soaring on KUS at the salute and on the LR tribute, that awards mean nothing. Nothing at all. It's what you actually do that has meaning.

If SOM gets no Emmy noms so be it. The world keeps turning and all the actors and actress keep on with thier careers. Nothing changes.Plus I agree with Kizmet - I don't think Carrie or Steven are really deserving anyway as much as I loved SOM.
    opry051008 likes this.

•