Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree34Likes
  • 1 Post By victor
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 2 Post By victor
  • 5 Post By maddkat
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By epicamends
  • 2 Post By epicamends
  • 2 Post By Pi314CA
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189
  • 4 Post By Wildflower
  • 1 Post By gwade82
  • 3 Post By opry051008
  • 2 Post By jptexas
  • 2 Post By opry051008
  • 1 Post By gwade82
  • 2 Post By sco

Thread: Article on Carrie's Gay Marriage Stance

  1. #1
    New Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2

    Article on Carrie's Gay Marriage Stance

    While not exactly complimentary of country music on the whole, this article showers Carrie with praise for her stand on gay marriage. Its an interesting read.

    concerttour.org/carrie-underwoods-stand-gay-marriage-good-country-music.php

    Sorry for the non-link. The forum wouldn't let me submit it.
    teesharky likes this.

  • #2
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    with no link it is hard to know if this is a current or new article. Or one that cropped up during the controversy.

    Either way, it is a positive messege that Carrie is a progressive intellegent woman. It is only good.
    GumbyJRH likes this.

  • #3
    New Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    with no link it is hard to know if this is a current or new article. Or one that cropped up during the controversy.

    Either way, it is a positive messege that Carrie is a progressive intellegent woman. It is only good.
    The link is above. You just have to copy and paste it into your browser. Its a current article from this past week.
    pklongbeach and GumbyJRH like this.

  • #4
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    23,579
    Concert Stars

  • #5
    Carrie Guru pkc4rls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    12,816
    Concert Stars
    Don't mean to cause an argument and not trying to be mean because I completely agree with her stance, but why do people keep posting these and bringing them up, because ALL it will do is cause the usual suspects to come on and start the usual it is a sin and Carrie is not right because a Christian and shouldn't be saying this stuff and we are horrible people if you support it. You just watch, it is probably coming soon I would bet......
    Last edited by pkc4rls; 04-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.

  • #6
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,313
    I never encourage nor support same-sex marriage but I appreciate Idol Carrie's view of this topic because she's my Idol

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,985
    The writer is showing Carrie considerable support - basically he's saying she is more in tune with the new generation of fans, and is helping to improve the reputation of the format.

    However the article does include several potentially misleading inaccuracies. Carrie was never in the hands of Simon Cowell (even metaphorically). Garth Brooks (who has a same sex oriented sister) was expressing similar (if less explicit) support years ago. Lesbian women have performed at the Opry for at least a generation. Toby Keith is on the same tack as Carrie on this issue. Many of the younger singers feel the same way - Miranda and Kacey have both recently issued diversity-friendly singles.

    Carrie has arguably gone furthest in specifically addressing the marriage issue, and doing so from the perspective of a Christian - but the article is wrong to imply that she is isolated. Also her stance puts her closer to commonly held views in the Alt Country sector, so the implication that it puts her closer to Pop is also one-sided and misleading.

    It's a well intentioned article, but could wrongly increase the feeling of some listeners outside the fan base that Carrie is on her own.
    epicamends and rainbow1 like this.

  • #8
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by pkc4rls View Post
    Don't mean to cause an argument and not trying to be mean because I completely agree with her stance, but why do people keep posting these and bringing them up, because ALL it will do is cause the usual suspects to come on and start the usual it is a sin and Carrie is not right because a Christian and shouldn't be saying this stuff and we are horrible people if you support it. You just watch, it is probably coming soon I would bet......
    Because it's a new article? New articles are posted about Carrie on here all the time, and this is just another one. If people have a problem with Carrie's comments that is their problem.

  • #9
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Because it's a new article? New articles are posted about Carrie on here all the time, and this is just another one. If people have a problem with Carrie's comments that is their problem.
    It is not a problem with her comments, it is with all the people who continue to misconstrue what she said. This is another example of others using her words and celebrity to validate their own ideas. Again I say sad.

  • #10
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    It is not a problem with her comments, it is with all the people who continue to misconstrue what she said. This is another example of others using her words and celebrity to validate their own ideas. Again I say sad.
    And that's your opinion. It's your interpretation that people have misconstrued what Carrie said, but that is not how a lot of other interpret it.

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Pi314CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    The writer is showing Carrie considerable support - basically he's saying she is more in tune with the new generation of fans, and is helping to improve the reputation of the format.

    However the article does include several potentially misleading inaccuracies. Carrie was never in the hands of Simon Cowell (even metaphorically). Garth Brooks (who has a same sex oriented sister) was expressing similar (if less explicit) support years ago. Lesbian women have performed at the Opry for at least a generation. Toby Keith is on the same tack as Carrie on this issue. Many of the younger singers feel the same way - Miranda and Kacey have both recently issued diversity-friendly singles.

    Carrie has arguably gone furthest in specifically addressing the marriage issue, and doing so from the perspective of a Christian - but the article is wrong to imply that she is isolated. Also her stance puts her closer to commonly held views in the Alt Country sector, so the implication that it puts her closer to Pop is also one-sided and misleading.

    It's a well intentioned article, but could wrongly increase the feeling of some listeners outside the fan base that Carrie is on her own.
    Carrie's perspective on this issue as a Christian is based on her theology and is one of many perspectives from Christians. Many Christians and so-called Christians have their particular perspective based on their worldview. That worldview may be very biblically based or not so much.

    What matters, ultimately (for believers), is God's view. This passage gives us excellent insight into God's perspective:

    1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (English Standard Version) "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

    First on the list of people that will not inherit the kingdom of God (i.e. heaven) are the sexually immoral. This covers a whole bunch of categories. Later in this list is "men who practice homosexuality". But there is hope. Later in the passage, it says "and such were some of you". So yes, God can save those people as well. It goes on to say that "you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified...", meaning your sins have been forgiven if you put your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Part of this is the act of repentance, turning away from your old ways. So here, God does not tolerate these sins because He is holy. God is also love in that He provides a way, through His Son. And because of one's indebtness and love for what God has done, obedience to His Word results in striving to not do the things that God does not desire in His people.

    I apologize to anyone that may be offended by the interpretation of this passage and my mini-message.
    gwade82 and Marie2011 like this.

  • #12
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    nice article, I agree with her stance!
    mtreasmith likes this.

  • #13
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Wildflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,678
    I'm a proud Christian and a proud supporter of marriage equality, bravo Carrie!! This story never gets old for me
    maddkat, Caio, mtreasmith and 1 others like this.

  • #14
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Carrie's perspective on this issue as a Christian is based on her theology and is one of many perspectives from Christians. Many Christians and so-called Christians have their particular perspective based on their worldview. That worldview may be very biblically based or not so much.

    What matters, ultimately (for believers), is God's view. This passage gives us excellent insight into God's perspective:

    1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (English Standard Version) "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

    First on the list of people that will not inherit the kingdom of God (i.e. heaven) are the sexually immoral. This covers a whole bunch of categories. Later in this list is "men who practice homosexuality". But there is hope. Later in the passage, it says "and such were some of you". So yes, God can save those people as well. It goes on to say that "you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified...", meaning your sins have been forgiven if you put your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Part of this is the act of repentance, turning away from your old ways. So here, God does not tolerate these sins because He is holy. God is also love in that He provides a way, through His Son. And because of one's indebtness and love for what God has done, obedience to His Word results in striving to not do the things that God does not desire in His people.

    I apologize to anyone that may be offended by the interpretation of this passage and my mini-message.
    I don't believe you need to apologize for God's words. His words will accomplish what he wills and that is entirely his responsibility. God bless you.
    Pi314CA likes this.

  • #15
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,559
    Although this always stirs up arguments around here, I really don't mind when people post articles about her comments on gay marriage because for me it's one of my proudest moments as a Carrie fan. Whether or not you agree with what she said, she took a huge risk to share something she really believed in and she did it in a thoughtful and respectful manner.

    maddkat, txacar and epicamends like this.

  • #16
    Ultimate Carrie Fan jptexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,482
    Concert Stars
    We'll, whatever your opinion on this issue, and I do respect all views, she's on the right side of history. It's only a matter of time, but this country will settle this issue eventually. You can't keep people from pursuing their happiness, to quote a famous phrase.
    litchfield93 and undrwood9098 like this.

  • #17
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Although this always stirs up arguments around here, I really don't mind when people post articles about her comments on gay marriage because for me it's one of my proudest moments as a Carrie fan. Whether or not you agree with what she said, she took a huge risk to share something she really believed in and she did it in a thoughtful and respectful manner.

    I am at a loss to understand why anyone would seek recognition, based on sexual activities, on a computer network or any other public forum. It should not be anybody's business except the participants what they do in private. To me it is incomprehensible why anybody would choose any form of that activity to be identified. Shouldn't your name be sufficient. I think all of that would be embarrassing.
    Self esteem appears to be elusive these days.

  • #18
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,559
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    I am at a loss to understand why anyone would seek recognition, based on sexual activities, on a computer network or any other public forum. It should not be anybody's business except the participants what they do in private. To me it is incomprehensible why anybody would choose any form of that activity to be identified. Shouldn't your name be sufficient. I think all of that would be embarrassing.
    Self esteem appears to be elusive these days.
    I am at a loss to understand why you would assume my "preference" based on my post?
    epicamends and Claire2004 like this.

  • #19
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I am at a loss to understand why you would assume my "preference" based on my post?
    Sorry if that is what you gleaned from my post. I was not referring to you or anyone specifically, just commenting on the need some have to display publicly actions I think should be or are private. I believe when those displays are examined it indicates the folly of seeking affirmation or acceptance publicly from strangers. Those who continue to do so will forever be disappointed. I think that is a sad way to live, Don't you. I get my validation from God not man and certainly not strangers. I would not like to see anyone live that way. I hope that explains my thoughts sufficiently.
    opry051008 likes this.

  • #20
    sco
    sco is offline
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    Sorry if that is what you gleaned from my post. I was not referring to you or anyone specifically, just commenting on the need some have to display publicly actions I think should be or are private. I believe when those displays are examined it indicates the folly of seeking affirmation or acceptance publicly from strangers. Those who continue to do so will forever be disappointed. I think that is a sad way to live, Don't you. I get my validation from God not man and certainly not strangers. I would not like to see anyone live that way. I hope that explains my thoughts sufficiently.
    Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your comments, but if you mean that gays should not publicly affirm the fact they are gay then I disagree. We as heterosexuals don't go around discussing details of our sex lives but we certainly acknowledge our partners. We have no fear of taking a loved one's hand or sharing a brief kiss in public. Gays often can't do the same without fear of harassment. They also often cannot obtain legal protection for their loved ones like heterosexuals can. As for Carrie's stance, I agree with others that regardless of whether anyone agrees with her or not, you have to admire her courage and her thoughtful reasoning behind her opinion.
    opry051008 and epicamends like this.


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. I'm blown away by your stance on gay marriage
      By PammyJ in forum Dear Carrie...
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-12-2012, 06:46 AM
    2. Carrie Underwood Comes Out For Marriage Equality
      By carebear4eva in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
    3. Carrie Underwood Supports Gay Marriage
      By Trent in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
    4. New Carrie Post About Her Stance on Twitter
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 69
      Last Post: 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •