• 4 Post By cary78663
  • 1 Post By cary78663
  • 1 Post By maddkat

Thread: CMT All-Time Top 40: Carrie Underwood

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

CMT All-Time Top 40: Carrie Underwood

CMT : News : CMT All-Time Top 40: Carrie Underwood

Country artists get the chance to recognize the music that shaped their lives with CMT All-Time Top 40: Artist's Choice. Beginning Saturday (March 15), the countdown of influential artists will be revealed one by one each week on CMT Hot 20 Countdown, starting with No. 40 and concluding with No. 1 in December.

Each influential musician or band will be ranked based on an artist poll conducted by CMT among the biggest stars in country music. The ballot isn't limited to just country artists, so over the course of 2014, CMT All-Time Top 40 will highlight artists from all genres that influence country's biggest names.

Fittingly, there's a three-way tie for No. 40 between Carrie Underwood, Aerosmith and Alan Jackson.

cont.

Concert Stars
    Dustin Lynch is my new BFF!!! Lovely things said by the younger ones too!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    awww I've always love Lauren! she is too sweet and she has ALWAYS loved carrie. She picked her to sing with her on american idol as her idol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It's nice to read those comments - though I do think several of them tell us rather more about why those artists like and admire Carrie than about explaining her specific influence in the genre. (That's not meant as a criticism - as I say, it's good to read the praise - but it did get me thinking about what her long term influence might be.)

I think Dustin Lynch makes a perceptive point when he says "I think she had a really big hand in broadening the country music audience to what it is now."
    And Danielle Bradberry says "she just knows how to bring a song alive with her voice... because when she puts her mind to a song she just makes it something totally magical."

I would also suggest that her influence is likely to be seen in things like this:
    1. The way she achieved her broadening of the accessibility to a wider audience, without ever leaving Country Music (this was a particularly noticeable - and deliberate - shift away from the tactic of several of the women who came to prominence in the years immediately before her. It showed that this was possible without compromising identity.
    2. The revival of the core Country emphasis on story-songs, noticeable in several of Carrie's tracks, including her first three Country radio singles, which I think deserve to be seen as part of shift back towards song-first, rather than singer-first work
    3. Her willingness to pay subtle homage to her roots, even when pursuing an accessible modern approach - e.g. the Joplinesque scream in "Good Girl", the evocation of Southern Gothic moods in "Two Black Cadillacs", and the revival of the Honky Tonk Angels theme in "Cowboy Casanova" (This is an aspect of Carrie which critics often fail to celebrate - but which I think will be increasingly recognized in retrospect)

Carrie came 40th in this artist-influence poll. That's understandable - ask today's and yesterday's performing artists for their biggest influences, and not many may say a thirty year old contemporary hit scorer. But, a similar poll a decade or so down the line is, I believe, likely to put her higher. It's in that sort of span that influence is more likely to be evaluated.

Carrie tied in this poll with Alan Jackson - I suspect that he will be highly respected (and deservedly so) - but perhaps not so influential. I say that because I see few prominent followers in Alan Jackson's path - and, if there were, I don't see the format rushing to adopt them. Carrie, though, I suspect, may have more followers - more Danielle Bradberrys and Lauren Alainas if you like, paying a direct stylistic tribute - but also more singers inspired to follow some of the general trends I've mentioned.
    pgk, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Confused. Why is Carrie in last place? Number 40? Wow. Bet Taylor is in the 5. Just watch. That is pretty crazy. Tied with Aerosmith no less? confused. since when is Aerosmith country??

I bet Miranda and Taylor are way higher on the list, sadly. This makes me sad. Last place. wow.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Considering we're talking forty music artists... In all genres... And of all time, who knows where they will be.
    gocountrymusic and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Confused. Why is Carrie in last place? Number 40? Wow. Bet Taylor is in the 5. Just watch. That is pretty crazy. Tied with Aerosmith no less? confused. since when is Aerosmith country??

I bet Miranda and Taylor are way higher on the list, sadly. This makes me sad. Last place. wow.
    It's a Top 40 out of thousands & thousands of artists, she isn't in last place.

Concert Stars
    ^ true. If Carrie is the top rated artist from this new generation, then being number 40 would be great! But if she is way behind her peers (meaning artists of her generation such as Miranda Taylor Hunter, etc), then this ranking would be rather disappointing.

Clearly the all time greats will and should be above her: Dolly, Loretta, Reba, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc. I have no issue with that.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I guess what I was trying to say in my last post is that if you ask a large pool of artists who was their biggest influence, most of them are unlikely to name a relatively young artist who's still a very current performer. E.g. if you ask Emmylou Harris who was her biggest influence, she might say Gram Parsons - but she's not going to say Carrie Underwood. Likewise if you picked three men out of the current chart and ask whose music did most to shape their lives, Carrie is probably an unlikely answer.
    Coming 40th is actually good - because it shows some are already acknowledging her as an influence - I think that will increase considerably if you asked this question further into the future, when Carrie's legacy is more generally recognized as a forerunner of what future artists will be doing.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    As the poll is of country artists, I really don't expect Taylor to be in the top 40. Miranda is a different story. Though if she is in the top 40, it probably will be in the 30s.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    As the poll is of country artists, I really don't expect Taylor to be in the top 40. Miranda is a different story. Though if she is in the top 40, it probably will be in the 30s.
    I don't expect Taylor to be in it at all either, I don't think she would be voted upon since the poll is country artists, and a lot of them aren't going to say Taylor influenced them lol

Concert Stars
    not sure I am liking Carrie being tied for last place???

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    not sure I am liking Carrie being tied for last place???
    She is hardly in last place. There are thousands of artists that won't even make the list.
    Suellen likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Of course a bunch of us take this to mean that Carrie is in "last place" rather than she is in the top 40 of artists from any genre that inspire others. She is right alongside rock legend Aerosmith and country legend Alan Jackson both of which I bet Carrie would list as her own inspirations for her music. I love hearing what all the artists have to say including Lauren. I do think that Carrie has the potential to be one of those big name artists down the road.

I'm guessing Miranda might be higher not sure about Taylor. I feel if they want a pop crossover artist they would go with Shania or maybe Faith Hill over Taylor. Does it really matter though how they are rated? I'm guessing Carrie will continue to influence newer artists as time goes by.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I love what Lauren Alaina said about Carrie. I agree with her, I definitely think Carrie will become a legend in country music and that her songs will still be remembered in 50 years time.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    list to date

40. - Carrie, Alan Jackson ,Steven Tyler
    39.Buck Owens
    38.Tim McGraw
    37. Charley Pride
    36. Kenny Rogers

nice list so far , but next week promises a surprise so check back
    rainbow1 likes this.

•