Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Bombshell 'American Idol' Lawsuit Claims Sony Stiffs Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars

Bombshell 'American Idol' Lawsuit Claims Sony Stiffs Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson

Bombshell 'American Idol' Lawsuit Claims Sony Stiffs Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson (Exclusive)

The legal claims from the company behind the hit reality TV show, seeking at least $10 million in damages, could ignite new controversies over whether recording artists are getting a proper share of digital income.

19 Recordings was founded by American Idol creator Simon Fuller and is now controlled by the show's owner, Core Media Group. In the lawsuit, 19, and by extension all of the artists -- including Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry -- who have entered into deals as part of their participation on Idol, claim that Sony Music has been systematically robbing them of millions of dollars in royalties. The lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in damages, was filed after 19 exercised the right to audit Sony's books pursuant to recording agreements, and the parties couldn't come to any settlement.
    "We did not want to have to file this lawsuit, but Sony left us no choice, so this became necessary to protect our artists," says 19 Entertainment Worldwide Head of Music Jason Morey. "Our complaint lays out the claims in great detail. Everything we have to say about the case is set forth in it."
    Richard Busch at King & Ballow adds, "We have investigated this thoroughly and feel strongly about the claims."
    Perhaps the biggest claim -- both monetarily as well as one that could impact record companies and musicians well beyond the Idol universe -- deals with the alleged underpayment of streaming royalties.

Concert Stars
    Hmmmmm.......we'll see what happens.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    A record label scrapping a little off the top of the books, no way that would never happen.

Concert Stars
    10 million doesn't seem like a giant amount, might be mostly from Carrie and Kelly.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    10 million doesn't seem like a giant amount, might be mostly from Carrie and Kelly.
    CORE Media Group | 19 Entertainment

Here is the list of everyone from AI who is also with 19 Recordings, so whoever else is involved with any of the Sony labels would probably be part of the lawsuit, they just wouldn't have as much $$$ at stake as Carrie or Kelly as Rainbow posted, there might also be more who were at both at the same time got bilked out of cash but aren't with one or both of them now.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Hmm, this is interesting and we just have to wait in see what happens.

How will this affect Carrie's working relationship with the label?

American Idol*creator*Simon Fuller‘s 19 Recordings filed a federal lawsuit recently against*Sony Music, seeking upward of $10 million in damages, according to the*Hollywood Reporter. The lawsuit claims Sony underpaid royalties to Idol winners. The issue centers around streaming deals Sony has with Google, Apple and Spotify. In those contracts, artists receive 50 percent of royalties for “transmission/broadcast” and a fraction of that for a “sale/distribution.” Sony reportedly attributes all streaming to the three outlets as “sales” instead of “broadcasts,” therefore saving on royalties owed to artists.

“We did not want to have to file this lawsuit, but Sony left us no choice, so this became necessary to protect our artists,” 19 Entertainment Worldwide Head of Music*Jason Morey*told*THR.

"Such exploitation can only be fairly described as ‘transmissions’ or ‘broadcasts,’ and, upon information and belief, are so described in the licenses or other agreements between Sony and the streaming services,” the lawsuit says, reports*THR. “However, Sony has nevertheless accounted to 19 for all streaming income received at the lower Album rate as if the exploitation between the streaming service and the end user was described as a ‘distribution’ or ‘sale’ and, by so doing, Sony has breached the Recording Agreements.

”The suit, filed in New York federal court, seeks compensatory damages in excess of $7 million, as wells as $3 million in interest, plus costs for the audits and attorney’s fees.

Industry Ink (2/20/14) : MusicRow ? Nashville's Music Industry Publication ? News, Songs From Music City
    jaylee50 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    How will this affect Carrie's working relationship with the label?
    My off the top of my head, uninformed opinion would be...that Carrie is not responsible for this happening, an d Sony will still want her money she brings in. (smiley)

Concert Stars
    Confused about 1 thing: Simon Fuller is no longer with 19, right? He formed his own company and took Carrie with him. It is 19 as well but in Roman numerals or something. lol So how is he suing on behalf of 19?

Concert Stars
    I don't know much but hoping it doesn't impact Carrie career wise etc since still under Sony. I mean Sony will control the marketing dollars allowed etc and if they hold grudges etc ...... As I said, I don't know how all this works so someone else could say if that is an unfounded worry.

EDIT: Unless as maddkat said, Simon is not really involved and just mentioned as previous owner because I just mean I was hoping it is not playing out that "Carrie's management is suing Sony" lol.

I remember when Sony was sued by Dixie Chicks also and really pretty much won so to speak, if I remember it right - or got a better deal out of it.

Well I know in about 2005, he sold it to CKX and then later became a director at CKX in 2008 and then in 2010, started his own management company XIX - but I read he continued to work with CKX as a consultant. After that I lost track so maybe it is for the time he owned it??
    Last edited by pkc4rls; 02-20-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Confused about 1 thing: Simon Fuller is no longer with 19, right? He formed his own company and took Carrie with him. It is 19 as well but in Roman numerals or something. lol So how is he suing on behalf of 19?
    I don't think Simon is involved. Looks like they just used his name in the article as the creator of 19 recordings.
    Maybe to get more attention in the press.Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    You're right, Tee. Simon sold 19 Recording and started his own XIX Entertainment which is where Carrie is. Like Donna said, probably just used Simon's name because more people know it instead of Core Media or whoever owns 19 Recording.
    teesharky, pgk and rainbow1 like this.

Blown Away still has 19R listed on the CD.

Carrie is still with 19R/Arista deal right? It's just 19M that she left to join Simon Fuller's own XIX management company?

I'm confused as well lol.
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Ty
    Yeah, from what I've read, she still has one more album under 19 Recordings.
    HuiZ and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The Dixie Chicks also had a legal dispute with Sony over royalties - which was eventually settled by an out of court deal, which, among other things gave the Chicks a bigger royalty deal, and their own imprint, which, from memory, I think was called Open Wide.

Basically, artists sign a record deal and expect to get a relatively small payment for every copy sold. From the artists' perspective, the record company is paying for all the production costs, and the various artistic rights holders (performing artist, writers and publishers) share what is left. However, the record company may try to recover various costs (particularly those involved in marketing) from the artistic rights holders' share - effectively reducing it - and leading to the charge that the record company is using "creative accounting" to avoid covering all the production costs from its own share.

The amount of money artists actually get can be very dependent on the stage of their career, and their degree of sales support from the record-buying public. To put it crudely, most artists have little chance of fighting the company's accounting practices - they tend to need the company more than the company needs them, and don't have the same accounting and legal resources at their disposal. (The fact that 19 appear to have a contractual right to audit the books is probably unusual.)

For anyone interested, there's an article on the Dixie Chicks' dispute here:
    Dixie Chicks and Sony May End Contract Dispute - NYTimes.com
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Sony sounds horrible.

Huge Carrie Follower
    if you go to, www.americanidolsimonfuller/lawsuit/sony, click on it. it has alot there. very interesting and this also includes kellie picker to.
    glenn7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by countrycarrie59 View Post
    if you go to, www.americanidolsimonfuller/lawsuit/sony, click on it. it has alot there. very interesting and this also includes kellie picker to.
    I clicked on the link and this is where it lend me, which link should I click on?

Windstream | Search

Huge Carrie Follower
    click on the bombshell*american Idol* law suit clams sony stiff Carrie underwood and Kelly Clarkson. when you go in you will see at the very top Hollywood reporter.
    glenn7 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast