Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists

Post Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists

Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists: 'You Would Think We'd Be Farther Along' (Exclusive)
    NEWS
    By Phyllis Stark, Nashville | January 30, 2014 10:46 AM EST

Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists: 'You Would Think We'd Be Farther Along' (Exclusive)
    in
    In both 2012 and 2013, just three of the top 25 artists on Billboard’s Top Country Songs chart were solo women. In a Billboard Country Update column last fall, we heard what country radio has to say about this, but what do the artists themselves think?

Why So Few Female Stars In Country Radio? Theories Abound
    Country Music’s Dearth of Females Extends Well Beyond the Artists
    Billboard Women In Music 2013: Full-List, Features, Video, Desert Island Discs, Gallery, More!
    Carrie Underwood was one of the artists who made that list of three both years (along with Miranda Lambert and Taylor Swift), and she’s among the ranks of those hoping things will improve for females this year.

“You would think that we would be farther along in the thinking about women in country music,” Underwood says. “I like to think things are getting better, but then I see stats like [the one cited above] and realize that women really do seem to get the short end.”

Theories abound about why women get short-changed in country music, but Underwood notes, “There is certainly not a shortage of talented ladies out there that want so badly to get their fair shot in this business. But there seems to be only room for only a few.” On the flip side, she says, “there seem to be so many male singers out there who can be viewed as similar, and there seems to be plenty of room for all of them.

“We see new male artists have their first single reach No. 1 on the charts, but it generally takes a female a lot longer to build momentum,” Underwood continues. “I know that I am an exception to this, but I [also] know that if I hadn’t made my place in country music via ‘American Idol,’ I probably could have tried to make it for the rest of my life and never made any progress.”

One working theory is that song content has been a potential factor in the male/female disparity. Women—the theory goes—tend to write and/or choose to record songs with more substance and deeper themes than the “Parking Lot Party”-type songs that are working so well for the male artists right now.

Underwood agrees that that theory has some merit. “I don’t think women can get away with the partying, beer-drinking, hung-over, truck-driving kind of music that a lot of the guys have gotten away with lately,” she says.

“It does kind of seem like it’s a big party right now,” Kellie Pickler agrees. She notes that, “All the women that are played [on the radio] are outselling the men, and people are listening to what they have to say, so I don’t know why more women aren’t played.”

“I’m really, really sick of trucks and bonfires,” says Suzy Bogguss, who had her hits in the early ’90s at a time female artists were flourishing on the radio—including Mary Chapin Carpenter, Pam Tillis, Kathy Mattea, Patty Loveless, Lorrie Morgan—who turned the derogatory term “chick singer” into something Bogguss says “meant you had some balls.”

“When that radio door opened, it let so many of us through,” she recalls of that time. “I felt at the time that [female listeners] really wanted us to speak about things they related to, and a lot of us did. One of the things we’ve gotta hope for is that the tide will turn and female fans will continue to speak up and say, ‘We need some real material here.’”

In the meantime, Underwood says, expectations remain different for male and female artists. “It seems women are expected to be so much more than men, which means we have to work that much harder,” she says. “We’re the ones under the microscope. We’re expected to sound perfect. We’re expected to look perfect all the time. We’re expected to be style-setters, whereas the boys roll onto the stage in their jeans, T-shirts and baseball caps. I don’t know what we all can do to change this. But I do hope it does change. I would love to see more women making their mark in the music that I love so much . . . There are so many more out there just waiting for their shot. I hope they get it!”

In next week’s column, female music industry executives discuss the dearth of women in the artist (and industry) ranks.

Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists: 'You Would Think We'd Be Farther Along' (Exclusive) | Billboard

Concert Stars
    This does bring up a point that was lost to me up to know.

The judgement of women is also so much stricter. This idea of being under a microscope and examined to be viewed as perfect at all times.
    When men are seen as "cool" if they just show up.

Miranda and Kacey are both good examples of this. As each one reaches the next level of success they are required to amp up the glam image.

Its interesting to see how much harder they have to work, and how much more quality and content is required for their material to be accepted. Even when it is only 3 in the top 25 artists, they are still required to be heavily competative with eachother rather unfairly.
    rainbow1 and jptexas like this.

Concert Stars
    I'm so proud of Carrie for speaking out!! When they asked Luke, he came up with some stupid answer and tried to skirt around the whole issue!!

Concert Stars
    This was very brave of her and I'm so proud of her for speaking up! Instead of wanting to remain "one of the few" for selfish reasons, our Carrie wants the playing field leveled so that other talented women have their fair shot. That is class, my friends! Go, Carrie! I love the way she exerts her power, yet remains so humble and down-to-earth!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I'm so proud of Carrie for speaking out!! When they asked Luke, he came up with some stupid answer and tried to skirt around the whole issue!!
    In Texas we say, that guy's cajones are way too small. I think it applies.
    rainbow1 and Mirasa45A like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Typical Carrie. Thinking of others instead of thinking about herself. Personally I think she is feed up with the Nashville status quo (and no one can blame her for that) and has started to rebel a bit.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Carrie also raised this issue earlier, at a celebration for her two successive number one songwriting achievements in September - when flanked by a podium of men - she told the audience that the format needed to face up to its gender imbalance
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...eda1b4&theater

Hillary Lindsey, I think, also made the point that radio today also shows a tendency to drop women as they mature.

One difficulty, with regard to radio, may be connected with the fact that very few senior radio programmers are women - so the choices are primarily viewed from a male perspective (though they argue that women listeners show no significant demand for more female performers.)

(Without meaning to be overly facetious, I've also noticed that female artist fan bases can show a theoretical support for more women - but also get distinctly agitated when other women actually gain more recognition. Ten or more years older - probably OK, ten or more years younger - probably sweet and charming. Around mid twenties to thirty - no! no! Definitely over-rated, undeserving, boring, artificial, lacking in "stats". Wait - they have the "stats"? - ah - but can't sing, can't hit Country with a baseball bat, bad role model, sore loser, no sense of humour, mean self-seeking man-crazy egotist) -- We never bash though - only give opinions. Lol.

OK, I am being overly facetious (but only just)!

Seriously, Carrie's spot on with the higher expectations for female songs. The format not only coasts along with a succession of barely distinguishable thought-numbing male feel good songs, it knows it does. That's why it sees the fewer female songs as rescuing the heartache, darker-themed and more story-driven links with the Country Music tradition.

If you check the ACM nominations, Song of the Year breaks fifty-fifty male/female - a proportion similar to that in the Roots sector (And three of the five nominations involve a majority of women).
    Women are strongly represented in providing the stronger Mainstream songs. It's just that the radio playlists don't reflect that in opportunities for more of them to sing them on air

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Typical Carrie. Thinking of others instead of thinking about herself. Personally I think she is feed up with the Nashville status quo (and no one can blame her for that) and has started to rebel a bit.

Agree. And she may as well speak her mind at this point. What are they going to
    do- snub her at award shows? Lol oh wait.
    rainbow1 and carrieguy2 like this.

So much of radio is geared for morning and afternoon drive times. Would you rather listen to a light-hearted party song or a thought-provoking heartbreak ballad while dealing with the stresses of the road?

Proud of Carrie for being a voice for all those talented female artists who aren't being given a fair shot in Nashville. Glad to see some comments from Kellie Pickler too - her last couple of albums have been critically acclaimed and she clearly has a fanbase since she won DWTS, but I never hear a peep about her on the radio.

Concert Stars
    so glad she spoke up..just hope she doesn't get any heat for this!
    carrieguy2 likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ notice who is very quiet about wanting more females on the radio? Taylor and miranda. Lol

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    so glad she spoke up..just hope she doesn't get any heat for this!
    Agree. But what more can they do to her, really? Snub her? Lol hello.

So proud of Carrie. She articulated it so well.

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    ^ I for one, actually hope people notice and respond. Sure there are going to be some who will make stupid comment about how she's wrong but I can't imagine that the major proportion of readers will disagree with her. It's wonderful that she's championing female artists of the format and speaking her mind about the imbalance.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ notice who is very quiet about wanting more females on the radio? Taylor and miranda. Lol
    Oh Tee! (smiley)

To be fair though, Miranda has done a lot to help women in practical ways. Women writers are all over her album (and long have been). The Pistol Annies were conceived as a project in which three women both wrote and sang equal alternating verses. She's helped a number of young women from the Voice, taking RaeLynn on tour, giving Nicole Gallion a really major career break, and now singing on Gwen Sebastian's single (which made me panic momentarily, lol)
    She's definitely on board for this - even without a Billboard interview

Taylor works with - um- OK - mainly men, I think!
    teesharky, rainbow1 and carrieguy2 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ lol yes Taylor works to promote one lady- herself. lol

Concert Stars
    Ok I know we aren't supposed to read the comments but I did read the comments on MJs. For the most part they weren't bad but a couple of women commented that Carrie doesn't help matters because she gets all glamorous and the other thing that was said she only had males opening for her (if she is so supportive of women then why doesn't she have women open for her). Chris our friend on Twitter has been replying to them as best as he could :-) And Windmills has been replying to a lot of the most snarky comments.
    Last edited by liz278; 01-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

One aside that may interest some - Suzy Bogguss (also quoted in the article) recorded the original 1992 version of "Cold Day in July" - which Carrie also recorded on one of her pre-Nashville albums.

rainbow1 and gaycarebear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ lol yes Taylor works to promote one lady- herself. lol
    She gives Gloriana and Austin Mahone their careers. Made 'Superbass' happen. Boosted 'Hot N Cold'. Etc.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast