Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists

"The country females making it today are relating or winning over female listeners," he adds. "If you are a female artist you need to win over female listeners somehow by making them love you, or cheer for you, as a person and what you stand for. You can't just be a pretty face and a beautiful voice. In today's landscape, that's not enough."
    Carrie has done this perfectly.
    rainbow1, bluetb4 and HuiZ like this.

Concert Stars
    I'd like to ask him if the men need to make you love them , cheer for them and what they stand for?!!

"I would love female artists on the radio more, really," he writes, "but everyone has to realize it's the listeners saying 'no thanks' to what is released today by female acts, not the program and music directors . . . I strive to play females but almost always find out my listeners don't want to hear it.

"The country females making it today are relating or winning over female listeners," he adds. "If you are a female artist you need to win over female listeners somehow by making them love you, or cheer for you, as a person and what you stand for. You can't just be a pretty face and a beautiful voice. In today's landscape, that's not enough."
    I'm sorry, but this is absolute BS. You get your listeners used to hearing nothing but male artists all the time, and then you wonder why they're not used to hearing female voices? How are female artists supposed to make it if radio is not even willing to give them a fair chance? Sales numbers prove that there are plenty of listeners who want to hear female artists - it's radio who isn't listening. Whether this guy wants to admit it or not, the program and music directors are the primary factor in the lack of female artist success.

And that last paragraph about "you can't just be a pretty face and a beautiful voice". Don't even get me started. All I will say is the music female artists are currently making is far better, deeper/meaningful, and more relatable than at least 80% of what the males are making, and the males have no problem getting radio airplay. That is a BS excuse, and IMO shows that this DJ (and probably many more) holds a sexist double standard where men aren't expected to make great music to have hits but women are expected to be absolutely amazing just to have a moderately successful song.

It's not surprising, but it's disappointing. Even in my own work world, I see how much harder women have to work to get half the recognition and respect men get. It's ridiculous. This is 2014, not 1950.

•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234