Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood On The Lack of Successful Female Country Artists

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Guys, what she said was far from controversial. There have been numerous discussions on the subject of the lack of women and the over abundance of bro country songs. I think some people are getting more than a little paranoid by worrying that people will be out for revenge for such innocuous comments.
    GumbyJRH likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    It just makes me so happy and proud to see how much Carrie has grown over the past 8 years, not just as an artist but in her confidence as a woman. Up until the past year or two, Carrie has very successfully stayed out of any and all controversy. But lately she's become so vocal about the things she's passionate about, like equality and animal rights and females in country music, and it's great to see. She's opening herself up to the world more and more, and while not everybody will agree with her and she will receive backlash for being so vocal, her honesty and the classy way she goes about speaking up for things is incredible. She does her research so that she knows what she's talking about, and she doesn't back down from her beliefs just because they might not be popular with some people. Life is about going after and standing up for the things you believe in, even if it's risky.

I can't wait to see how her increased confidence as a person and performer makes its way into her songwriting for the next album.
    A true diva. Icon. Legend. Queen-Empress. Talk about cultural impact.
    DizzyDollyDee and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    Eventually, that will happen. In this business you can't stay at this level of succes for too long. Carrie's chart run is beyond magnificent.
    Truth be told, Carrie is very lucky that radio has been as generous as they were to her. Some of her single could of topped out at top 5 but they gave her the edge. I am very greatful for that and hope that they continue to do so.

The Bro-country dominance is very obvious now and the media is taking notice; hence, Billboard is even doing an article abt it. I can't wait until Carrie's lead single is released; hopefully something edgy, country rock: "Set It On Fire" (still hoping for this song...lol)
    Yes, but what I'm seeing is that there probably will be a sudden backlash with something. Madonna was embraced by radio through her 40s which is almost unheard of for female artists, but radio stopped playing her with 'American Life' and 'Hollywood' altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Guys, what she said was far from controversial. There have been numerous discussions on the subject of the lack of women and the over abundance of bro country songs. I think some people are getting more than a little paranoid by worrying that people will be out for revenge for such innocuous comments.
    But she's a female so she has to be perfect. Be the silent woman.

Concert Stars
    There was a tweet yesterday from Sara Darling's manager, thanking Carrie for speaking up!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I don't think anyone believes that this particular situation is going to do any great harm.
    But the idea that Carrie does have a tendancy to speak her own mind which tends to sway "toward the middle", can be unsettling to insiders.
    And truth be told, Carries dominance has always been radio! With radio comes attention to the product and purchasing of the product. Her expossure outside the genre has helped a great deal as well.

But if you follow the trends of artists and radio play, and you couple that with the dominance she has displayed at radio, it makes you aware of the fact that this trend can not continue....

And the issue seems to be, "will it be articles like this" or will it just be a slow digression.

The one thing I have noticed about the end of the BA era. I hear no Carrie music at all right now.
    At the end of other eras I would still her music pretty regularly duing the down time. I don't seem to hear it at all right now.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I don't think anyone believes that this particular situation is going to do any great harm.
    But the idea that Carrie does have a tendancy to speak her own mind which tends to sway "toward the middle", can be unsettling to insiders.
    And truth be told, Carries dominance has always been radio! With radio comes attention to the product and purchasing of the product. Her expossure outside the genre has helped a great deal as well.

But if you follow the trends of artists and radio play, and you couple that with the dominance she has displayed at radio, it makes you aware of the fact that this trend can not continue....

And the issue seems to be, "will it be articles like this" or will it just be a slow digression.

The one thing I have noticed about the end of the BA era. I hear no Carrie music at all right now.
    At the end of other eras I would still her music pretty regularly duing the down time. I don't seem to hear it at all right now.

I noticed that our stations play alot of Play On songs. I haven't heard any songs from BA,CR, no JTTW, BHC, etc. It's really quiet. Maybe they're waiting for new music.
    pklongbeach and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    I noticed that our stations play alot of Play On songs. I haven't heard any songs from BA,CR, no JTTW, BHC, etc. It's really quiet. Maybe they're waiting for new music.
    Are you requesting? Lol, though, everytime I request WAW or SWISLY on the mediabase form, within 30 minutes they play 2 Carrie songs -- usually BHC or something from PO. We need to keep requesting Carrie music and keep her out there. I keep hoping that if I request WAW often enough they will relent and play it. Would love to hear that song on the radio.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Yes, but what I'm seeing is that there probably will be a sudden backlash with something. Madonna was embraced by radio through her 40s which is almost unheard of for female artists, but radio stopped playing her with 'American Life' and 'Hollywood' altogether.
    I'm a huge fan of Madonna. I owned her first album all through Music (which IMO is the last decent album she put out). Maybe radio stopped playing her because her songs got crappy?

I'm sure a lot of politics go on behind the scenes, but sometimes, because of the search for the juicy and controversial, people overlook the simplest reason there is. Rascal Flatts got knocked down from their elite status all of a sudden? Maybe there's a huge conspiracy going on. Or maybe, just MAYBE, it's because of that abomination called Bob That Head.

Concert Stars
    Carrie's story about not having enough women in the charts is at CMT with a poll of who is your favorite female country singer, Miranda is currently ahead, but I'm thinking that will change soon.

Concert Stars
    Carrie's story about not having enough women in the charts is at CMT with a poll of who is your favorite female country singer, Miranda is currently ahead, but I'm thinking that will change soon.
    Can someone post a link so I don't have to go to CMT other than to vote? :-)
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan007 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Madonna. I owned her first album all through Music (which IMO is the last decent album she put out). Maybe radio stopped playing her because her songs got crappy?

I'm sure a lot of politics go on behind the scenes, but sometimes, because of the search for the juicy and controversial, people overlook the simplest reason there is. Rascal Flatts got knocked down from their elite status all of a sudden? Maybe there's a huge conspiracy going on. Or maybe, just MAYBE, it's because of that abomination called Bob That Head.
    Quality is subjective so I won't comment on that.

'4 Minutes' sold 3 million copies, and was only the second song to sail pass a million copies within five weeks. It featured Justin Timberlake and Timbaland, two of the hottest guys in pop music at that time. The song itself was one of the fastest-climbing song on radio.

Result? Peaked No 11 on Radio Songs.

'Hung Up' was No 1 in sales for two weeks, made platinum (the first year songs actually move more than a million copies digitally), ie the same level as the biggest song of the last decade, Mariah Carey's 'We Belong Together' (14 weeks at No 1 due to massive radio support). The album sold almost 2 million copies itself. All of these with the song peaking at the 40s on radio.

Is that not agism?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I never did see that poll. Where was it on CMT.com?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I never did see that poll. Where was it on CMT.com?
    I never saw a poll either. I've been back to the site a couple of different times and still didn't see a poll.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It's worth pointing out that women are pretty dominant in the new wave of songs. It's not unknown for the same person to get two nominations at the same time in the Song of the Year field - but this year it happened, for women, at both the Grammys and the ACMs . Women seem to all over the stronger new songs

Saying you want more in performance roles too is not controversial for Music Row - the record labels would welcome more opportunities for female artists. So would the concert promoters. The critics not only want it - many of them are desperate to see it happen, as an antidote to what is currently dominant in much of the male sector.

The two areas where it seems likely to be difficult are radio and the fans. Mainstream radio is the big hurdle. Music Row can't promote more to radio if radio won't play them.
    But - frankly - the attitude of fans is also often a problem. Two examples strike me here. First, the comments quoted are dishearteningly familiar. Comments like those saying Carrie is insincere because she plays along with the glamour game, and mainly tours with men are likely to come from fans of other artists. Fans seem to often have two standards with regard to Mainstream artists. Most don't seem to mind how many men like Luke Bryan or Hunter Hayes come along. But when it comes to women, their support for their particular favourite seems to become intense and often exclusive. One sad fact seems to be that female fans are often involved in this - they often support one artist and can show a resentment and disparagement for others (Why this fan rivalry should be more intense in the case of women artists is a question for the sociologists - but the tendency for it to manifest itself more in that sector seems undeniable)

And that brings me to the second example (I referred to this half-jokingly in the earlier post). Much of this fan base is also decidedly ambivalent on the question of women artists' success. It's noticeable that the discussion, even in this thread, has quickly shifted, away from the substance of what Carrie wanted, to saying how it might affect Carrie, and even to more unrelated discussion of how her particular career might develop in the charts over her next album run.

Carrie's comments were not about her own career - they were about the general opportunities open to women as a whole. Do we want those opportunities extended or not? I certainly do - Quite apart from the moral argument for equality, I see women, both as solo artists and as group members, as currently providing much of the more interesting work in the Mainstream. Denying them harms them as individuals - but also harms the strength and variety of the format

But we can't have it both ways - saying bravo Carrie for speaking out (in theory) - but we won't be happy at the prospect of other women having your level of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    It's worth pointing out that women are pretty dominant in the new wave of songs. It's not unknown for the same person to get two nominations at the same time in the Song of the Year field - but this year it happened, for women, at both the Grammys and the ACMs . Women seem to all over the stronger new songs

Saying you want more in performance roles too is not controversial for Music Row - the record labels would welcome more opportunities for female artists. So would the concert promoters. The critics not only want it - many of them are desperate to see it happen, as an antidote to what is currently dominant in much of the male sector.

The two areas where it seems likely to be difficult are radio and the fans. Mainstream radio is the big hurdle. Music Row can't promote more to radio if radio won't play them.
    But - frankly - the attitude of fans is also often a problem. Two examples strike me here. First, the comments quoted are dishearteningly familiar. Comments like those saying Carrie is insincere because she plays along with the glamour game, and mainly tours with men are likely to come from fans of other artists. Fans seem to often have two standards with regard to Mainstream artists. Most don't seem to mind how many men like Luke Bryan or Hunter Hayes come along. But when it comes to women, their support for their particular favourite seems to become intense and often exclusive. One sad fact seems to be that female fans are often involved in this - they often support one artist and can show a resentment and disparagement for others (Why this fan rivalry should be more intense in the case of women artists is a question for the sociologists - but the tendency for it to manifest itself more in that sector seems undeniable)
    I definitely see that as well. I see a lot of resentment towards female artists when they beat Carrie for awards (the general attitude toward Miranda around here has noticeably shifted ever since she started winning FVOTY over Carrie, and definitely when she gets nominated for EOTY over Carrie), or even if they present a threat to beat Carrie (I can already see the nasty comments about Kacey if she's voted FVOTY). I think what many need to remind themselves is that the artists themselves do not decide the winners, but rather the entire body of voters. If you feel an artists was nominated or won unfairly, placing the blame on the voters is much more appropriate than bashing the artists themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    And that brings me to the second example (I referred to this half-jokingly in the earlier post). Much of this fan base is also decidedly ambivalent on the question of women artists' success. It's noticeable that the discussion, even in this thread, has quickly shifted, away from the substance of what Carrie wanted, to saying how it might affect Carrie, and even to more unrelated discussion of how her particular career might develop in the charts over her next album run.

Carrie's comments were not about her own career - they were about the general opportunities open to women as a whole. Do we want those opportunities extended or not? I certainly do - Quite apart from the moral argument for equality, I see women, both as solo artists and as group members, as currently providing much of the more interesting work in the Mainstream. Denying them harms them as individuals - but also harms the strength and variety of the format

But we can't have it both ways - saying bravo Carrie for speaking out (in theory) - but we won't be happy at the prospect of other women having your level of success.
    Well, of course it did, considering this is a Carrie Underwood fan message board. I don't think Carrie fans focusing on Carrie's career or future means that we don't care about how these comments will affect other female artists. I just think it means we're particularly focused on Carrie because this board is dedicated to her.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Indeed - but it definitely struck me as a quick shift away from the gist of what Carrie said she was hoping for, to, instead the fact that she'd spoken at all. If people see it mainly as another example of Carrie being generous, or Carrie taking a lead, it takes the emphasis away from Carrie sharing the prominence in the format with other women - who will sometimes equal her success and sometimes exceed her success. In the context of numerous rather repetitive threads, the board doesn't give the impression of being ready or willing for that. But if even many of her own fans aren't amenable to that, it makes achieving what she's asking for more unlikely. If fans of female artists give the impression that they don't want to see much success for more than their own favourite, it gives radio the cue to ignore it.

Carrie Guru
    rainbow1 and Pi314CA like this.

Concert Stars
    Well, that last paragraph, is just what Carrie has done!

•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast