• 4 Post By Claire2004
  • 6 Post By opry051008
  • 5 Post By Gator
  • 3 Post By Marie2011

Thread: Edison Research: Carrie Underwood Favorite Country Artist Among 12-24s

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Edison Research: Carrie Underwood Favorite Country Artist Among 12-24s

Edison Research: Carrie Underwood Favorite Country Artist Among 12-24s | AllAccess.com

EDISON RESEARCH has conducted a study found that CARRIE UNDERWOOD is the most popular artist among 12-to-24-year-olds who like Country music, as well as the most popular Country artist among 12-to-24s overall.
    EDISON RESEARCH's study, "Understanding Country Radio's Next Generation of Listeners," offers the latest research on music and media habits of 12-to-34-year-olds. The full survey will be unveiled on February 19th at the COUNTRY RADIO SEMINAR in NASHVILLE by EDISON’s LARRY ROSIN and MEGAN LAZOVICK, along with JAYNE CHARNESKI, an expert on “Millennials.” A follow-up session will be held on FEBRUARY 20th.
    The study of 1,550 12-34 year-olds, including nearly 900 respondents under age 25, was conducted from NOVEMBER 18th-25th, before "The Sound of Music" aired on DECEMBER 5th . Among 12-to-24-year-olds who say they like Country music, UNDERWOOD has a favorable rating among 82% of respondents, followed by TIM MCGRAW (80%), BLAKE SHELTON (77%), and LUKE BRYAN (75%).
    Among all 12-to-24-year olds, the top four Country artists (or artists at least somewhat associated with Country) as identified by the respondents are CARRIE UNDERWOOD (48%), KELLY CLARKSON (44%), TAYLOR SWIFT (43%) and TIM MCGRAW (40%). The Edison study found that the youngest Country fans show surprisingly mainstream and diverse tastes, with favorites that include both 20-year-format-veteran TIM MCGRAW and relative newcomer LUKE BRYAN.
    The study will look at everything from radio and other audio usage among younger listeners, to their attitudes about Country music and how they discovered the format. There will be extensive information both about those 12-to-34-year-old Country fans and about listeners in that demographic overall as their generation helps change the landscape for both music preference and media usage.
    Gator, gran29, judes and 7 others like this.

Kelly Clarkson is now part of a survey on country music. She's really being welcomed with open arms. Hmm.
    oldyfan, judes, rainbow1 and 3 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Kelly Clarkson is now part of a survey on country music. She's really being welcomed with open arms. Hmm.
    Well with Kelly showing that much popularity as a country artist on the survey, she even beats Taylor, you can be sure that country radio will be playing her stuff as much as they can.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    As for Carrie; I am so thrilled to know that her efforts and commitment have paid off and she is a well respected and much favored artist in the genre.

As for Taylor; I think it just points to the clear obvious evidence that she is a pop artist whos fans are pop fans.

As for Kelly; I would have very little problem welcoming her into the country industry, IF THAT WAS HER INTENTIONS!!
    But since she is intentionally making her mark in country while still claiming to be a pop artist first, I see her efforts and actions on different than Taylor Swifts, and I have no dignified words for those efforts.

MONEYMONEY MONEY!!!!!!

and not commited effort to the style the genre the history..........

Sorry Kelly, but until you can show a little respect to the industry, I am against it..........
    oldyfan and DizzyDollyDee like this.

I am so happy for Carrie. She has worked so hard for it. Congrats to her.
    oldyfan and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    Of course Carrie is first - my problem with Kelly is she doesn't sound country to me, I just don't enjoy her singing country songs- she's a POP singer through and through -

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Well, look at the age group they are talking to in this survey. These are kids (sorry to anyone here who is in that age range, but to me you are kids, lol), so of course the more mainstream, pop leaning acts are going to be their favorites. They see Kelly as country because one of her biggest successes in the last few years was her duet with Jason. They say Tim is a favorite because he did HDC with Taylor - do you really think that age group would list Tim as a favorite if he hadn't? Carrie is everywhere and is probably the most mainstream and well-known true "country" artist that doesn't remix or pander to pop radio and let's be honest - some of that does still have to do with her winning AI. Luke, well, Luke is a good-looking guy who sells feel-good music and even my 11 year old stepdaughter is in love with him, lol. I'm not sure she would know Lady A, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, though. Blake is on tv.....so, what does this survey really tell us? Nothing in my opinion that isn't obvious even without doing a survey. That age group may say they like country music, but most of them aren't even old enough to know what real country music is and their "favorites" are probably the only country artists they have ever even heard of.

Concert Stars
    love that Carrie is on this list but Kelly...she isn't country to me and has no business being on this list..just my opinion..I still love Kelly as a POP artist though!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Carrie Guru
    ^^ Tim is popular on his own with the young kids because if his popularity was tied to Taylor then Taylor would have been in the top 4 for kids who like country music.

Regarding Kelly's inclusion, the survey was not directly related to her being a country artist. People like Katy Perry and Rihannna were probably rated in the survey too but the Edison research results focused only on artists who are or who have dabbled in the country genre.

What was surprising to me was that both Kelly and Carrie rated higher than Taylor across 12-24s in kids who were not necessarily country music fans. That says a lot to country radio who want to grow their audience. That's why I think we'll be hearing a lot more of Kelly when she puts out a country album.
    rainbow1 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    While it's welcome news - I feel that it's going to be increasingly important for Carrie, as she moves into her thirties, to extend her popularity in the age group above this. People from mid twenties to late thirties, for example, may have different musical perceptions, but also be significant concert goers. Aiming for greater visibility there is likely to become increasingly more significant than expecting new cohorts of 12s and upwards to enter the fan base.
    rainbow1, DizzyDollyDee and judes like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    While it's welcome news - I feel that it's going to be increasingly important for Carrie, as she moves into her thirties, to extend her popularity in the age group above this. People from mid twenties to late thirties, for example, may have different musical perceptions, but also be significant concert goers. Aiming for greater visibility there is likely to become increasingly more significant than expecting new cohorts of 12s and upwards to enter the fan base.
    You make a valid point but we don't know how Carrie polled in that age group because the article didn't report it. I suspect she would fare quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    You make a valid point but we don't know how Carrie polled in that age group because the article didn't report it. I suspect she would fare quite well.

Agree. This is just a partial reporting of the research findings, a teaser if you may. I think Carrie also did well with the older age groups. I suspect Miranda is also popular among the mid twenties to mid thirties.
    sco, rainbow1, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Very true but I've been to many of her concerts and I'm amazed at the different age groups that go to see her. What I think she needs to do in future is to grow her male audience.
    Gator, txacar, lizcarlo and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Very true but I've been to many of her concerts and I'm amazed at the different age groups that go to see her. What I think she needs to do in future is to grow her male audience.
    I think that's the next direction also. The conundrum for her is how to get the audience without "party/truck/sexual" songs (aka bro songs). Carrie is quite aware of her younger fan base and will not want to alienate them, while produce more "mature" songs. It will be an interesting era...

The entire survey will be presented Wednesday February 19 at CRS by Edison Rosen and Megan Lazovick along with Jayne Charneski

Young Country Fans Loyal To Radio | AllAccess.com
    oldyfan, opry051008 and Claire2004 like this.

•