Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Fayfare's Opry Blog - 2013 Grand Ole Opry Year In Review

Obsessed Chart Watcher

Fayfare's Opry Blog - 2013 Grand Ole Opry Year In Review

Carrie is in the top third of all member for number of appearances and #1 for current A-list country artists. Also since Carrie was the last female artist to join the Opry and that was over 5 1/2 years ago, it is about time for them to add another female to the roster. This is already the longest gap since Lorrie Morgan joined the Opry in 1984 and it is likely to get longer. Looking at the top appearances for non-members, I don't really see a female artist that they are likely to invite.

And since Carrie was inducted, 8 acts were added, all male (4 solo, 1 duo, 3 groups). And while Carrie managed to do 10 shows despite her busy schedule, this is how the members inducted after her did.

8 - Craig Morgan
    7 - Rascal Flatts, Old Crow Medicine Show (who only joined 3 months ago)
    5 - Oak Ridge Boys
    4 - Darius Rucker, Montgomery Gentry
    2 - Blake Shelton, Keith Urban

Fayfare's Opry Blog: 2013 Grand Ole Opry Year In Review

Looking at the Opry's members and their appearances in 2013, the Top 10 breaks down as follows (remember that in today's Opry, any Opry appearance, no matter what night, is counted):

1) Jeannie Seely-81
    2) The Whites-73
    3) Bill Anderson, Jim Ed Brown-71
    4) John Conlee-70
    5) Riders In The Sky-68
    6) Connie Smith-54
    7) Jimmy C Newman-52
    8) Jean Shepard-50
    9) Bobby Osborne, Mike Snider-45
    10) Jesse McReynolds-38

Compared to the Top 10 last year, the only one who dropped out was Jimmy Dickens, who was down to 8 Opry appearances in 2013 (from 143 in 2012), with Bobby Osborne and Jesse McReynolds joining the list. What is amazing is that out of 182 shows, the top appearing Opry member was there only 81 times. And it should be noted that the great majority of the Opry's veteran members would have done more Opry shows if asked.

As has been reported before, the goal of Pete Fisher is for each Opry member to appear 10 times per year. That is the commitment he is asking of those who currently join the Opry. (Remember that for Opry members who joined during the mid 1980's thru 2000, no commitment was asked). In addition to those listed above, here are the members that made at least 10 shows:

Larry Gatlin, Ricky Skaggs-33
    George Hamilton IV-31
    Del McCoury-28
    Vince Gill, Jan Howard-21
    Diamond Rio-20
    Mel Tillis-12
    Charlie Daniels, Lorrie Morgan, Ray Pillow, Carrie Underwood-10

Of those with 10 appearances or above, compared to last year, Craig Morgan, Marty Stuart and Steve Wariner dropped off the list, while Mel Tillis and Carrie Underwood were added on.

"I feel like it's not about the accolades or the sales numbers or the, you know, awards or any of that. It's about helping people with their lives and making a difference that way."

-- Carrie Underwood (VH1 Behind The Music - Sept 2012)

I was surprised with the part about Reba McEntire not having an Opry show in years, and saying that the Opry "no longer fits her image". Is there a story behind this? A falling out with the Opry management?
    rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    It's a real shame that the newer members are happy to accept the honor of membership but not willing to make the effort to honor their performance commitment. Artists such as Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton, and Keith Urban are undoubtedly extremely busy but certainly no more so than Carrie yet she manages to honor her commitment.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I was surprised with the part about Reba McEntire not having an Opry show in years, and saying that the Opry "no longer fits her image". Is there a story behind this? A falling out with the Opry management?
    I have no idea why she has made that decision but she should resign her membership if she has no intention of appearing.
    teesharky, rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Carrie Guru
    ^^ Well I think that one of the problems is that when an artist is asked to join, it's a surprise. When you're asked to be a member in front of a live audience what are you doing to say? It might be better going forward for Pete Fisher to ask the artist privately.

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    ^^ Well I think that one of the problems is that when an artist is asked to join, it's a surprise. When you're asked to be a member in front of a live audience what are you doing to say? It might be better going forward for Pete Fisher to ask the artist privately.
    About the invitation, I'm not sure if it's always been a surprise? I remember reading that Blake (or was it Keith) was invited to have lunch with the management to discuss a possible Opry membership.
    rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

I'm so happy Carrie honors her commitment to the Opry. To me that shows her dedication to Country music and how much she truly loves the genre.
    oldyfan and DaisyTweets like this.

Anybody who questions Carrie's commitment to country music needs to look no further than her commitment to the Opry. The only major A-list Opry member to fulfill her 10 show commitment. Proud of her!

Obsessed Chart Watcher
    About the invitation, I'm not sure if it's always been a surprise? I remember reading that Blake (or was it Keith) was invited to have lunch with the management to discuss a possible Opry membership.
    I would think that in some way, the management tries to satisfy themselves that an artist will at least make an honest effort to meet their commitment to the Opry before they invite them to join. Unfortunately they haven't had a good track record with most recent inductees.

"I feel like it's not about the accolades or the sales numbers or the, you know, awards or any of that. It's about helping people with their lives and making a difference that way."

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I think they perhaps need to be more selective about who they invite. If an artist does not make regular appearances at the Opry prior to induction, why would it change after induction?

How many shows were Blake Shelton, Keith Urban and Darius Rucker averaging per year before they were invited to join?

Isn't it disappointing to realize that even "Nashville" cast members like Charles Esten and Lennon and Maisy performed at the Opry more times than members like Blake?

Isn't it disappointing to realize that even "Nashville" cast members like Charles Esten and Lennon and Maisy performed at the Opry more times than members like Blake?
    Wow. That really says a lot about Blake's commitment. I know he's busy, but so is Carrie and she managed to fit in 10 shows.

Obsessed Chart Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I think they perhaps need to be more selective about who they invite. If an artist does not make regular appearances at the Opry prior to induction, why would it change after induction?

How many shows were Blake Shelton, Keith Urban and Darius Rucker averaging per year before they were invited to join?
    According to Fayfare's blog, Blake did 9 shows during the year he joined the Opry (2010). But then he dropped to 4 in 2011, then 0 in 2012 and 2 in 2013. Both Keith and Darius did 7 shows during the year they joined the Opry (2012). Darius dropped to 4 in 2013 and Keith dropped to 2.

Carrie did 10 shows the year she joined the Opry (2008). She also did 10 in 2009. She dropped to 6 in 2010. She was up to 8 in 2011 and 2012. And was back up to 10 in 2013. So Carrie has averaged 8.67 shows per year since she joined. And she sells out every show. That is why the Opry loves her.

Concert Stars
    I wish they would ask Kelly Pickler!!
    oldyfan, lizcarlo and nccountrygal like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I wish they would ask Kelly Pickler!!
    I think they would ask Kellie if she did a reasonable number of shows this year. I don't think she did many shows last year. But she is scheduled to play the Opry in February.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'm not defending some of the newer artists, because if you are going to accept membership you should be willing to at least try to fulfill your 10 show commitment, but do you think some of it has to do with where they live? Blake is now living in LA for probably half the year or more and when he isn't in LA for the Voice, he lives in OK, not Nashville. So, he is honestly probably rarely in TN (and yes, I know it's a short plane ride away). Also, while I know that Keith and Nicole make Nashville their home base because they have talked about it in interviews, I wonder if they sometimes also spend part of their year in LA and/or Australia. I have no idea where Darius Rucker lives. As for Carrie and the Nashville cast members, we all know that Nashville (or Franklin, close enough) is Carrie's home when she isn't touring and I would assume the cast of Nashville lives there during filming season, so it would be quite easy for them to schedule an Opry show when they are home; whereas maybe the others just really aren't in Nashville that much. Except Keith, I would think Keith would be in the Nashville area a lot, but maybe not as much as we think. As for Reba - my radio station posted an article from Taste of Country the other day showing country stars' homes and Reba had a massive estate in LA. I'm sure she has a nice home in Nashville too, but she is an OK girl so who knows if she is ever in Nashville, although I would think Narvel would be based out of Nashville, so who knows. I just know if I had the house she has in LA, I'd be living there year round! Anyway, not making excuses, because you shouldn't accept the membership if you can't make the commitment, but just thinking through some of the possible logistics of why Carrie may find it easier to fulfill her commitment than some of the other stars.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Hmm sorry Kizmet not buying the excuses you're proposing. Last year Carrie toured most of the first half of they year and had other MAJOR commitments the rest of the year yet she still found the time to fulfill her commitment. I think its really a shame to see what the recent inductees think of the request made of them.

Concert Stars
    ^ I agree. These artist are no busier then Carrie.
    They know where they live when they make the commitment to the Opry and how much travel is involved.
    It seems too many just want 'Opry Member' on their resumes.

and what the heck is Reba talking about 'it doesn't fit her image'? What image? That of a country singer?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Oh, totally forgot - Keith was doing Idol part of the year. The better question to me is where were Brad Paisley and Martina McBride who only performed twice each (the same as Keith and Blake), but they didn't have shows keeping them in LA for half the year. Just saying - if you're going to pick on the newcomers with insanely busy schedules, pick on the older members who weren't nearly as busy and not just the ones you don't like.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I was just reliving Carrie's induction show and listening to what GB said to her. Seems he doesn't believe or listen to his own thoughts on what it means to be an Opry member. I realize and understand that when he was inducted there was no such 'appearance' requirement but are you telling me with how important the Opry is he couldn't find time to make an appearance???? Yet he found time to travel to Las Vegas and make millions of dollars -- what do the planes out of OK only fly west and not east to Nashville??? Just think what a couple of shows of him performing would've meant for the Opry!!!!! I'm OVER GB and his 'humble', aww sucks fake demeanor. IMO that's now as fake as SWSRN's shocked look when she wins an award.

In hindsight, I kinda wish Carrie would've asked Vince to induct her and not GB!!!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast