Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Fayfare's Opry Blog - 2013 Grand Ole Opry Year In Review

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Oh, totally forgot - Keith was doing Idol part of the year. The better question to me is where were Brad Paisley and Martina McBride who only performed twice each (the same as Keith and Blake), but they didn't have shows keeping them in LA for half the year. Just saying - if you're going to pick on the newcomers with insanely busy schedules, pick on the older members who weren't nearly as busy and not just the ones you don't like.
    No where have I read someone commenting on not liking anyone. I thought I was commenting on the discussion of the lack of appearances of the recent inductees. And IMO, there's really no excuse for no performances one year and only 2 the next.

And if you're going to make excuses for the newer artists, then I'm going to make excuses for Brad. He tours most of the year and at the beginning of 2013 he was busy releasing a new album. I have no excuses for Martina except maybe she was inducted when she didn't have an appearance requirement and like Reba, it no longer fits her image????

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Anybody who questions Carrie's commitment to country music needs to look no further than her commitment to the Opry. The only major A-list Opry member to fulfill her 10 show commitment. Proud of her!
    I agree with you - the Opry means a lot more to me than the Mainstream industry shindigs, and it reveals a lot about an artist's commitment to the soul and ethos of the genre.

However, at the same time, it needs to be recognized that the Opry doesn't cut much ice with many of the commercial industry insiders. If it did, without wanting to sound too petty, you'd probably see a lot more of those chart artists making sure they were there every month or so. The Opry is given "lip service" respect as an institution - but it operates outside the current commercial power base - and is much more inclusive in its artist roster than either Mainstream radio, the major record labels or the most widely viewed Country media.

That probably suits Carrie - who has shown a strong belief in Country Music as an ongoing heritage and an ideal, but hasn't seemed to want to get very immersed in current industry power games. The Opry is a place which comes closer to her own vision, and where she feels comfortable, and able to be herself.

But, as numerous threads and posts make clear - many fans feel hurt and angry by the tendency of some in the industry to see Carrie as an outsider, and not (in their view) deserving of current award recognition. I'm afraid her loyalty to the Opry is not likely to redress that - in the view of many of those people, the Opry is largely irrelevant (even if they wouldn't come out and say so)
    txacar, jptexas, pgk and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    No where have I read someone commenting on not liking anyone. I thought I was commenting on the discussion of the lack of appearances of the recent inductees. And IMO, there's really no excuse for no performances one year and only 2 the next.

And if you're going to make excuses for the newer artists, then I'm going to make excuses for Brad. He tours most of the year and at the beginning of 2013 he was busy releasing a new album. I have no excuses for Martina except maybe she was inducted when she didn't have an appearance requirement and like Reba, it no longer fits her image????
    I apologize, you are correct. I probably brought some leftover feelings from discussions past where people seem to like to find fault with Blake and others in the power group (like Reba). No one in this thread said they didn't like him. Hopefully the newer members will make good on their commitments when things settle down for them.

Obsessed Chart Watcher
    Yes, Carrie did 10 shows. But they break down as follows. She did 4 shows over the July 4 weekend. There were 2 other times that she did 2 show in one day. and then there were 2 days she did a single show. That is a total 6 day commitment. So even if the other new members were busy or don't generally live in the area, they should be able to set aside 3 days to do 6 shows or 4 days to do 8 shows. And to make it easier, make one of those days sometime during CMAFest.
    rainbow1 and Gator like this.

"I feel like it's not about the accolades or the sales numbers or the, you know, awards or any of that. It's about helping people with their lives and making a difference that way."

-- Carrie Underwood (VH1 Behind The Music - Sept 2012)

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I apologize, you are correct. I probably brought some leftover feelings from discussions past where people seem to like to find fault with Blake and others in the power group (like Reba). No one in this thread said they didn't like him. Hopefully the newer members will make good on their commitments when things settle down for them.
    But I think this misses the point of inviting them when they are invited. I mean the Opry is a business as well as a country music icon so I think they'd like the recent inductees to fulfill their commitment while they still can fill lots of seats.

Sorry but it just rubs me the wrong way that the commitments haven't even been almost close to being fulfilled. They all knew when they were invited what was expected and its just wrong how they've just snubbed the Opry.

Concert Stars
    But I think this misses the point of inviting them when they are invited. I mean the Opry is a business as well as a country music icon so I think they'd like the recent inductees to fulfill their commitment while they still can fill lots of seats.

Sorry but it just rubs me the wrong way that the commitments haven't even been almost close to being fulfilled. They all knew when they were invited what was expected and its just wrong how they've just snubbed the Opry.
    I don't disagree with you, just making a statement that I hope they will fulfill their commitment in the future.

Gator - I've posted a comment over at SCM, which I hope draws attention to the omission.
    Gator and Inspired like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I was just reliving Carrie's induction show and listening to what GB said to her. Seems he doesn't believe or listen to his own thoughts on what it means to be an Opry member. I realize and understand that when he was inducted there was no such 'appearance' requirement but are you telling me with how important the Opry is he couldn't find time to make an appearance???? Yet he found time to travel to Las Vegas and make millions of dollars --
    I somewhat agree that if Garth can appear in Vegas he could appear at the Opry. However, I have much less of an issue with him as in addition to what you note about there not being a requirement when he was inducted, he is officially retired. The newer members are fully active and knew what they were supposedly committing to when they accepted membership.

Concert Stars
    it bugs me when artists don't commit to things...like Reba seriously..don't join if you have no intention to appear..I love that Carrie is so committed to the opry and I think she always will be because she was such a huge fan of the opry growing up!

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Gator - I've posted a comment over at SCM, which I hope draws attention to the omission.
    Your response was perfect!!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Scm? ^^^

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    Scm? ^^^
    Saving Country Music
    rainbow1 and DaisyTweets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I was surprised with the part about Reba McEntire not having an Opry show in years, and saying that the Opry "no longer fits her image". Is there a story behind this? A falling out with the Opry management?
    According to a post on the Fayfare Blog, she felt that the backdrop that they were using, designed to resemble a barn, no longer fitted the image she wanted to convey.
    (However, as that information comes from one of the posters, it can't be verified as accurate.)

Despite its history, the Opry doesn't please everyone. Some people working in the contemporary industry do feel out of sympathy with the mix of Country Music styles it encourages, feeling that this conveys an impression to the public of a dated, unsophisticated type of music that lacks mass appeal, and conflicts with what radio and the big events represent.
    This is probably part of the problem with at least some of the absent "new" members - they don't see it as helping their current career, so don't give it priority. Many won't refuse membership - it still has kudos, equivalent to getting an "award" for a prominent career. Because of the history, the emotion shown at the time is probably genuine - but once they have it, the temptation to put it on the back burner, in favour of things that appear more obviously relevant, often takes over.

I admire Pete Fisher for continuing to try and involve big names - they're important in attracting a new, mixed audience, who otherwise may never see the range of Country Music styles on offer, sharing the bill with the better known stars. Very often, though, this has proven disappointing in terms of getting regular attendance.
    He says that Carrie has far exceeded their expectations, and more than justified the hopes they had in offering her first a guest spot straight after wining her talent show, and later making her the youngest ever full member. They use Carrie's picture in their social media advertising. However, it's also a mutual relationship. Carrie seems to value it as giving her a secure base within a separate branch of the music scene, outside the control of Music Row and the industry. She likes to hold fan club events there, has played softball for them, and even joined in clog dancing. She clearly values her role there, and doesn't just see it as a duty to fulfill.

He says that Carrie has far exceeded their expectations, and more than justified the hopes they had in offering her first a guest spot straight after wining her talent show, and later making her the youngest ever full member. They use Carrie's picture in their social media advertising. However, it's also a mutual relationship. Carrie seems to value it as giving her a secure base within a separate branch of the music scene, outside the control of Music Row and the industry. She likes to hold fan club events there, has played softball for them, and even joined in clog dancing. She clearly values her role there, and doesn't just see it as a duty to fulfill.
    This is why Carrie will always have respect. She clearly loves Country and represents the genre. You can tell she is committed. Love that our girl is like this. She is the best.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    This is why Carrie will always have respect. She clearly loves Country and represents the genre. You can tell she is committed. Love that our girl is like this. She is the best.

Not according to ACM's.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    [/B]
    Not according to ACM's.
    you can add the CMAs to that too

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    [/B]
    Not according to ACM's.
    Can we not start this again? She has respect from the industry and to suggest otherwise is an insult to Carrie?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Can we not start this again? She has respect from the industry and to suggest otherwise is an insult to Carrie?
    She has respect from her fans, non-country fans, country radio, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, a growing number of Broadway actors/singers, her label, a big percentage of other artists in her genre but obviously not all. CMA/ACM voters, uh, there seems to be a dwindling amount. She does have respect from the industry but it
    sometimes seems to be misdirected. When those voters know in their hearts that Carrie can out sing, out perform, have better albums, singles, concert sales, videos than the current female vocalist who they voted for, and seem to be obsessed by, something is definitely wrong. Jmho

Just in case you forget how really good she is:

Carrie Underwood - Alone - iHeartRadio - YouTube

Most people listen to that with awe, I do. I'm sure her peers do also. Is that enough to deny her what she truly deserves? "Oh well, she's so good, no awards are necessary".
    I say, she's a normal person with feelings and a God given talent. Forget the politics, award excellence when you see it and hear it. It just might be a long time before another singer
    of that caliber comes along.. Reward it while it's here.

Carrie Underwood - Voice of Versatility - YouTube

Nuff said. No other artist today can do what Carrie does. Nobody.
    Last edited by jptexas; 01-09-2014 at 09:01 AM.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12