• 7 Post By AdamJ
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By boilermaker

Thread: ‘Sound of Music’ Director on What Went Right — and Wrong

Ultimate Carrie Fan

‘Sound of Music’ Director on What Went Right — and Wrong

Have you read the reviews?
    A.
    I have read a couple of them. Very mixed. Any of the negative reviews that I’ve read on Carrie I think are pretty unfounded, honestly. I feel like she created a little character for herself. I think it was a lose-lose situation for her because I think everyone had such memories of Julie Andrews. I think it’s so hard to try to recreate such an iconic role, but I was blown away by her, and I’ve never seen anyone work harder in my life.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s&emc=rss&_r=0

Concert Stars
    So great of him.
    I to think everyone did great, and that alot of the critizism of Carrie is unfounded bais based on them wanting to see a reenactment of the movie which was impossible.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I Loved Watching Carrie Last Night She Was Awesome And Beautiful Like Always!!! I Plan On Buying The DVD!!!
    Smokyiiis and terilyn like this.

I really liked the interview. Carrie as good.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    So great of him.
    I to think everyone did great, and that alot of the critizism of Carrie is unfounded bais based on them wanting to see a reenactment of the movie which was impossible.
    Do we know what the dialogue flub was lol? Do we know if Carrie calling the captain Reverend and then Captain at first was meant to be or was a misstep? (no, all this is not about carrie doing something wrong - just more curious because I didn't understand the context of why if it was meant to be in there??. I was confused a couple times but with other references by others but can't remember those right now)

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pkc4rls View Post
    Do we know what the dialogue flub was lol? Do we know if Carrie calling the captain Reverend and then Captain at first was meant to be or was a misstep? (no, all this is not about carrie doing something wrong - just more curious because I didn't understand the context of why if it was meant to be in there??)
    The dialog flub that Neil is talking about was in the later part of the show when the admiral came in and talked to Moyer. The admiral seemed to forget his line and Stephen tried to cover for it. It was very obvious.

I found the script for the play online and "Reverend" is in the script. Here is the link.

The Sound of Music Edited Script Part1

So it looks like Carrie got through the show without a single mistake, which is remarkable for someone who has never done anything of this scope before.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    The dialog flub that Neil is talking about was in the later part of the show when the admiral came in and talked to Moyer. The admiral seemed to forget his line and Stephen tried to cover for it. It was very obvious.

I found the script for the play online and "Reverend" is in the script. Here is the link.

So it looks like Carrie got through the show without a single mistake, which is remarkable for someone who has never done anything of this scope before.
    Well, does that surprise any of us here about no errors. Look at how they said she was off book before rehearsals even started.

That is very interesting about the Reverend - thanks so much for looking that up for me. Do you know why the Reverend?? Hmmm it is almost like it is being used like Mr or something - oh I don't know lol. I will have to watch the part about the admiral again to see because honestly I watched the whole thing nervously just hoping Carrie would get through it without falling or forgetting lines etc so I could hardly enjoy.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Maria (Carrie) was used to talking with the Reverend Mother (who was strict and in charge) so when she saw the the Captain was like that also she started to address him as Reverend Mother then stopped and said Captain. I am sure Carrie knew there would be a lot of comments, etc. about her playing the part of Maria but I don't think (as many of us do) that there would be so much hate. Social media has made it possible for those people to post nasty hate comments and get away with it without anyone knowing who they are---and they would not dare say those things to someone's face and definitely would not want their friends and families to know they are saying such things. Hate, jealousy, envy, etc. eats away at people and they are unhappy in some way.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post

Ok wow, I found that part by that guy playing the Admiral. Pretty good coverup by Stephen and I actually only noticed since you said it was the admiral but still I do see now. OMG, thank goodness Carrie did not have that happen.

Concert Stars
    I knew there was a mess up with the admiral and Stephen because all of a sudden Stephen seemed to be scrambling for words as if he wasn't understanding what the admiral was saying - I think the admiral jumped his lines perhaps leaving a few out - Stephen covered really well - it was tough for the admiral because he only had a brief part with alot of lines so if he was nervous it was easy to flub - the Reverend... Captain mistake that Carrie makes, Julie makes in the film also as I remember.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    "Reverend" may have been put into the original script to suggest Maria's relatively unsophisticated upbringing in 1930s Austria. As well as being a naval captain, Georg also bore the title of "Ritter" (Knight in English). I remember hosting one of these gentlemen, who was giving a seminar on the European Parliament. The correct form of address is "Herr Baron". (Maria is addressed in the play as "Baroness Von Trapp" when she comes back from honeymoon. That is a translation of "Frau Baronin")

However, the play may be intending to suggest that a relatively inexperienced girl like Maria wouldn't be used to these society formalities, and used "Reverend" as she was fumbling to think of a way of addressing an authority figure.
    pkc4rls likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan boilermaker's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    "Reverend" may have been put into the original script to suggest Maria's relatively unsophisticated upbringing in 1930s Austria. As well as being a naval captain, Georg also bore the title of "Ritter" (Knight in English). I remember hosting one of these gentlemen, who was giving a seminar on the European Parliament. The correct form of address is "Herr Baron". (Maria is addressed in the play as "Baroness Von Trapp" when she comes back from honeymoon. That is a translation of "Frau Baronin")

However, the play may be intending to suggest that a relatively inexperienced girl like Maria wouldn't be used to these society formalities, and used "Reverend" as she was fumbling to think of a way of addressing an authority figure.
    Reverend Mother is how Maria addressed her authority figure at the abbey Mother Abyss. It was a scripted slip to say that Maria felt like the Captain was acting just like Reverend Mother was to her.
    pkc4rls and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    [QUOTE=judes;4500559]I knew there was a mess up with the admiral and Stephen because all of a sudden Stephen seemed to be scrambling for words as if he wasn't understanding what the admiral was saying - I think the admiral jumped his lines perhaps leaving a few out - Stephen covered really well - it was tough for the admiral because he only had a brief part with alot of lines so if he was nervous it was easy to flub - the Reverend... Captain mistake that Carrie makes, Julie makes in the film also as I remember.[/QUOTE]

It is not a mistake - the script is written that way and some of the explanations as to why are above. If you see Cary's post where he posted the script, you will see it is clearly in there. It is in there on purpose.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I have sympathy for the actor playing the Admiral. There was always a risk that someone would fluff a line in a three hour live performance - but that's no consolation if you're the one it happens to, on your entrance, late in the play. (In a theatre, there's a prompter with a script just off-stage - I don't know if this was done there, but it seemed the actors had to recover themselves, with a fairly noticeable improvised exchange.)

Concert Stars
    love his remarks about this!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I have sympathy for the actor playing the Admiral. There was always a risk that someone would fluff a line in a three hour live performance - but that's no consolation if you're the one it happens to, on your entrance, late in the play. (In a theatre, there's a prompter with a script just off-stage - I don't know if this was done there, but it seemed the actors had to recover themselves, with a fairly noticeable improvised exchange.)
    Yeah you have to feel for him - only a few lines anyway and then this happens. I figure they don't have a prompter or he would have probably got the line out but Stephen had to cover it up with two repeat statements so I think he just had to move on or said it late??!! I am morbidly curious as to whether a line was left out or if he just finally said what he was supposed to late.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That's a good interview with the director. She is standing up for Carrie which is really good. The mix reviews about Carrie before the live version of Sound of Music are so awful and most are Julie Andrews fans and they can't accept a remake

•