Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By teesharky

Thread: Sounding Off on The Sound of Music: Huffington Post :)

Concert Stars

Sounding Off on The Sound of Music: Huffington Post :)

This article is fantastic and defends SOM/Carrie. Love this lady!

Sounding Off on The Sound of Music | Nancy Berk, Ph.D.

Nancy Berk, Ph.D.

Clinical psychologist, comic and author

GET UPDATES FROM Nancy Berk, Ph.D.

Sounding Off on The Sound of Music

Posted: 12/03/2013 5:01 pm

Read more

Dr. Nancy Berk, Julie Andrews. Christopher Plummer, Parade Magazine, The Sound Of Music, Whine At 9, Carrie Underwood The Sound Of Music, Von Trapp, Entertainment News

This Thursday evening the world will be watching the talented Carrie Underwood step into some big shoes and Austrian-inspired braids to bring The Sound of Music, Live! to a new generation of television watchers. The world has long been fascinated by the magical musical and iconic film. For nearly a half century, families have gathered together to enjoy the Academy Award-winning film and the music that helped it garner awards and adoration. Growing up with The Sound of Music has made many fans feel like part of the onscreen von Trapp family. And plenty of them have their opinions as to whether the Carrie Underwood casting is a wise one. I recently had the honor of catching up with kids from the original cast for my special series for Parade Magazine and my podcast Whine At 9. The process was fascinating and fun and the response to the series generated more conversation and enthusiasm than I had ever anticipated.

My individual conversations with Charmian Carr (Liesl), Nicholas Hammond (Friedrich), Heather Menzies (Louisa), Duane Chase (Kurt), Angela Cartwright (Brigitta), Debbie Turner (Marta), and Kym Karath (Gretl) yielded an incredible feel for the dynamics on the film set, the inner genius of director Robert Wise, the inward and outward beauty of Julie Andrews, and the strong sibling-like bonds that were created between children who shared an extremely unique experience in a magical foreign place. As adults, they have all gone in different directions but remain committed to their friendship and keeping The Sound of Music legacy alive.
    Fascinatingly, the original actors voiced no negativity about the NBC special. In fact, it was the rumbling of their fans that I've heard -- fans who can't seem to warm up to the idea of anyone recreating a role so strongly associated with their favorite memories and the legendary Julie Andrews. And yet, the warmth I felt from my insider glimpse of The Sound of Music and these former child actors, makes me think that fans need to embrace some of the main concepts of the film (kindness and creativity) and give another talented woman a chance. Critiquing before a performance isn't constructive, it's just critical. In fact, we should applaud Underwood for having the confidence and the guts to take on this project.

---------------more at site---------------------------------------------
    DaisyTweets likes this.

Well she is correct. The soundtrack is already on list of my favorite things. I'm sure DVD will be along with other Carrie stuff. Lol

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Wow great article. I wish people would just wait watch the musical and give an honest opinion. If they do that they will see how wonderful Carrie is and really appreciate what she brought to the role.

Concert Stars
    amazing article..love anyone that will stand up for Carrie!! this is going to be epic and all the haters will see!!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That's really good. I totally agree the tv special haven't even aired yet and they already have negative reviews

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awesome Article!!!

•