• 10 Post By pgk
  • 6 Post By txacar
  • 10 Post By sco
  • 3 Post By mbh

Thread: Carrie Underwood gets her ‘Maria’ moment

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood gets her ‘Maria’ moment

Ted Chapin, President, Rodgers & Hammerstein, says that on any given night somewhere in the world “The Sound of Music” is being performed.
    “It’s done everywhere from high schools and colleges to dinner theaters, Broadway, the [London] West End, China and Moscow,”
    And on Thursday, Dec. 5, it’s being staged again, on NBC, in a live television event starring Carrie Underwood as Maria, Stephen Moyer as Captain Von Trapp and a cast of Broadway pros, including five-time Tony winner Audra McDonald.
    Produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, this “Sound of Music” is based on the play, not the movie, in which Julie Andrews starred as Maria.
    Fans of the film may become apoplectic when they hear Underwood sing “My Favorite Things” and some of Andrews’ other iconic numbers, but Andrews gave Underwood her blessing. At a 10th anniversary concert hall in Los Angeles this week, Andrews said, “I think she’s great. After 40 or 50 years it’s probably time somebody else had a crack at it.”
    Still, the Oklahoma-born Underwood, dressed in tights and a green sweatshirt at a downtown Manhattan rehearsal hall, says, “I knew I had the furthest to go” of anybody in the cast. Working with dialect and acting coaches, Underwood was given extra time to prepare before the rest of the cast met.

“She’s one of those people who showed up the first day and knew every line of the script and every note of every song,” Zadan says. “She’s an unbelievably hard worker.”

And, Zadan reports, the twang is gone.
    Zadan and Meron had had the idea to do another musical on TV, after having the successes of “Cinderella,” with Brandy and Whitney Houston, “Gypsy” with Bette Midler and “Annie” with Kathy Bates. Choosing to mount “The Sound of Music” as a three-hour event is in keeping with recent ratings trends that say live productions such as the Golden Globe Awards bring in large viewership. But they never wanted to upstage Andrews — or Austria, setting for the film. The production will be staged in a facility in Bethpage, Long Island, a far cry from Salzburg.
    “We would never propose to do a remake of the movie. It’s sacrosanct,” Zadan says. “Nobody really knows the play and the differences between the play and the movie. We got excited by the idea of exposing a new generation to the play.”
    They were also excited by the prospect of casting Underwood in the Andrews role. The 30-yearold singer, who won “American Idol” nearly a decade ago. has sold millions and millions of records and has a devoted fan base among country music fans — and among Christians.
    “I think it’s very important, especially in a piece like this, a musical that deals with religion and nuns, that she has that fan base,” Zadan says. “There’s an element in faith-based belief in the show. The spirituality in the show lends itself to Carrie’s core audience.” Maria von Trapp’s devout Catholicism — she almost did become a nun, after all — was an especially appealing aspect of the role for Underwood. “Her faith was very important to her and it’s important to me,” she says.
    And she’s up for the challenge. Keeping within the structure of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s score has meant she can’t change the melody or hold the notes out, as she might with one of her own hits, but she’s happy to learn. “I like instructions, I like directions. People freak out when I’m on time,” she says.

There have been some moments in rehearsal, when she sang “The Lonely Goatherd,” when Underwood felt like she’s back home. “I’ve been yodeling my whole life, growing up listening to Kitty Wells and The Carter Family.” And others when, flanked by McDonald and the other Broadway actresses playing the nuns, that she felt transported. “When they sang, I thought, ‘This is what heaven’s going to sound like.’”
    Carrie Underwood gets her ?Maria? moment | New York Post

Concert Stars
    Awesome article in the NY Post! I love that they said she had no twang left when she sings SOM. Clearly they have been working hard to de-countrify her. haha

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This article made me way more excited for some reason haha!

Concert Stars
    Fantastic article! Thank you......and her Twang Is Gone!

“She’s one of those people who showed up the first day and knew every line of the script and every note of every song,” Zadan says. “She’s an unbelievably hard worker.”

She is PERFECTION! Im so proud of her!
    bluetb4, gwade82, Pi314CA and 12 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Fantastic article! Thank you......and her Twang Is Gone!
    Well, her Twang will be back for about 3 hours during the CMA award show, and then GONE again...ha..ha..ha..ha..ha..

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUnderwoodismyHero View Post
    For some reason I took great comfort in reading the bolded section of this article. Carrie is the consummate professional.
    So many things she needs to be careful not to do: drop the twang, and don't sing the way you normally sing...gawd? My admiration and respect for Carrie's work ethic and her willingness to be so transformed for this role speaks volumes to her courage, ambition, and love of chanllenge. With all that, she can do nothing but come out a winner.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    For some reason I took great comfort in reading the bolded section of this article. Carrie is the consummate professional.
    So many things she needs to be careful not to do: drop the twang, and don't sing the way you normally sing...gawd? My admiration and respect for Carrie's work ethic and her willingness to be so transformed for this role speaks volumes to her courage, ambition, and love of chanllenge. With all that, she can do nothing but come out a winner.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do confess to being a little confused. Perhaps it's because I'm from Northern VA originally, and now Texas, but I hear twang in Carrie's voice only when she wants it there; otherwise, she barely has even a midwestern accent.

I'm eager to hear her interpretation of Maria: Mary Martin brought Texas twang and classical singing style; Julie Andrews, a pronounced British accent and classical singing (although others in the cast had plain old American accents). I hope Carrie brings her beautiful midwestern, Mass Media Broadcast trained voice where there is barely a touch of accent, and semi-classical vocals that we all know she does beautifully (SOM Movies Rock).

Cannot wait to see this. So proud of her, so happy for the wonderful rapport she has built with the cast, and love the beautiful compliments they are tweeting for all the world to see.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    The twang comes out when she is around others with it. She seems to be able to turn it off if she thinks about it. She every once in a while sounds slightly Canadian. Anybody who's done any kind of research would know her work ethic. I'm sure it didn't surprise any of the producers or directors that she came infinitely prepared. (Sometimes I think she might be a difficult personal to work for, only because she may expect as much from her employees as she expects from herself, but an absolute dream to work with.)

Concert Stars
    this article is amazing! She is going to do great!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awesome Article!!!

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post

She is PERFECTION! Im so proud of her!
    I may sound like a BROKEN RECORD, but, I will say it AGAIN ....

ONE of the KEY ELEMENTS of being a "Carrie Underwood" is strikingly simple: Good old-fashioned BEST and HARDEST WORK and DISCIPLINE, dedication to improvement, and continually building her EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT for the future - WILL TAKE YOU A LONG WAY. It's pretty straightforward stuff, easily within the grasp of SOME artists. The bad news is that creating a "Carrie Underwood" REQUIRES "HUGE QUANTITIES" of - Good old-fashioned BEST and HARDEST WORK and DISCIPLINE, dedication to improvement, and continually building her EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT for the future AND a NEVER-ENDING pursuit of an ever-higher standard of EXCELLENCE. There are no shortcuts. There are no magic potions. There are no work-arounds. Carrie is ready for the long, hard pull in New York until December 05, 2013.

Implicit on every page of Carrie's stay in New York is a simple question: Why on earth would Carrie settle for creating something MEDIOCRE that does little more than make money, when Carrie can create something OUTSTANDING that is worthy of lasting. And in the end, Carrie will earn MORE MONEY "OVER THE LONG RUN".

Finally, and perhaps most important of all, it means Carrie working with a DEEP and ABIDING RESPECT for HER ORGANIZATION. For it is through the power of human organization - of individuals working together in common cause - that the bulk of the world's best work gets done!!!
    teesharky, pgk and rainbow1 like this.

Ty
    Damn, mbh.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Great article. I love how dedicated Carrie is to this project, she is putting everything into it and I know she will do an amazing job. Can't wait for December 5.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great article one more month till SOM airs can't wait

•