Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood ignites fair crowd at Puyallup

Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood ignites fair crowd at Puyallup

Carrie Underwood ignites fair crowd at Puyallup

Singer Carrie Underwood gave a taut, energetic performance to a sold-out crowd Friday night at the Washington State Fair at Puyallup.

Dressed with a gold-sequined lightning bolt slashed across her outfit, Carrie Underwood stormed through the Washington State Fair in Puyallup on an overcast Friday night to play for a sold-out crowd.
    The country superstar turned in a taut, 90-minute set stripped down of most of her usual tour trappings. Eight years after winning “American Idol,” Underwood is turning into a wily veteran and it was impressive to see how easily things came to her as she cheerfully bantered and belted her way through 20 of her best-known hits, including “Cowboy Casanova,” “Jesus Take The Wheel,” and “All-American Girl.”
    Underwood also sang plenty of cuts off her latest album, “Blown Away,” including her opener, “Good Girl,” as well as “See You Again” and the title track, a rocking revenge tune that closed out her set. For the most part, Underwood’s vocal pyrotechnics sounded good, though the cavernous grandstand made her too bright at times.
    The show was most fun when she stuck to the megahits. The crowd flawlessly sang a call and response during “Before He Cheats,” a No. 1 hit and Grammy winner for Underwood. “Two Black Cadillacs,” a spiritual successor that reached No. 2 on the charts, also got jilted lovers singing along.
    It sounds somewhat strange, but seeing Underwood perform at a fair might be the most intimate kind of performance you’ll ever get out of a superstar of her stature. Without the distractions of an arena-style stage setup, Underwood left the duty of delivering thrills to her laser-accurate voice. Underwood is the rare singer who has the best of both worlds; her voice is explosive, but she also has inhuman staying power.
    It’s a crowd-pleasing combination and Underwood knows just how to use her gift for maximum effect. She can, with seemingly little effort, hit registers meant for shearing diamonds to elicit shrieks of delight from fans, but also knows when to pull back, such as on her tender hit “Temporary Home.”
    Though Underwood far from phoned it in Friday, she commanded the show with Swiss precision — probably a product of having put on a more extravagant, refined version every night for the past year on the “Blown Away” tour. Her tour over, Underwood thunders on.
    Carrie Underwood ignites fair crowd at Puyallup | Entertainment | The Seattle Times

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    "It sounds somewhat strange, but seeing Underwood perform at a fair might be the most intimate kind of performance you’ll ever get out of a superstar of her stature. Without the distractions of an arena-style stage setup, Underwood left the duty of delivering thrills to her laser-accurate voice. Underwood is the rare singer who has the best of both worlds; her voice is explosive, but she also has inhuman staying power.
    It’s a crowd-pleasing combination and Underwood knows just how to use her gift for maximum effect. She can, with seemingly little effort, hit registers meant for shearing diamonds to elicit shrieks of delight from fans, but also knows when to pull back, such as on her tender hit “Temporary Home.”

So well said. I would love to hear more of Carrie's tender side....so beautiful.

Carrie Guru
    It sounds somewhat strange, but seeing Underwood perform at a fair might be the most intimate kind of performance you’ll ever get out of a superstar of her stature. Without the distractions of an arena-style stage setup, Underwood left the duty of delivering thrills to her laser-accurate voice. Underwood is the rare singer who has the best of both worlds; her voice is explosive, but she also has inhuman staying power.
    That is why we love her --she does not think her self as too famous to perform at less famous venue ! She is very humble .

Carrie Guru
    Great review but I'm not sure what they mean by "inhuman staying power"? I'm also surprised they didn't mention about the duet with Brooklynn.
    Smokyiiis, maddkat and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Great review but I'm not sure what they mean by "inhuman staying power"? I'm also surprised they didn't mention about the duet with Brooklyn.
    I wasn't sure what they meant by that either but really, in all honestly, that is a completely glowing review of the fair show.
    opry051008, rainbow1 and mbh like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think he meant she can actually hold a note and not scream it out for 1 second like so many.

Surprised too that the reviewer never mentioned Brooklyn.
    Had I been there I think it might have been the highlight of the show for me.

Concert Stars
    ^^I was surprised also, that there was no mention of Brooklyn. But, then again, perhaps Carrie blew the reviewer away with her amazing performance and vocals. ;-)

Guys the reviewer forgot the poor little girl after hear Carrie LIVE vocals! I mean, Im sure that happen a lot! :P

Great review. I'm a big fan of the big sets, costumes and extravaganza that Carrie does on tour, but I would also love to see her do a stripped-down acoustic-style tour in more intimate venues at some point. Even if it's just a small tour in between albums, that would be amazing.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That sure isn't the most well worded headline, that is the kind of headline that ends up on the segment that Jay Leno does.
    opry051008 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Where does Carrie sound fantastic?
    Acoustic (CMA Songwriters) - Check
    Arenas (pick one of the last 110 Cities) - Check
    Fairs/Festivals (Puyallup and others) - Check
    TV Appearances (too many to list) - Check
    Being a Carrie fan - PRICELESS

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Great review but I'm not sure what they mean by "inhuman staying power"? I'm also surprised they didn't mention about the duet with Brooklynn.
    As madkat said it's a compliment, normal humans aren't suppose to be able what she did at the concert.
    Cathie Wynkoop and opry051008 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to her career when he referred to staying power
    Becca
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I agree being at a fair is more intimate..but I would say overall the most intimate is the fan club party!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    I agree being at a fair is more intimate..but I would say overall the most intimate is the fan club party!!
    I really want to attend one some year soon! I've never had the ability to go so far with work or caring for my parents.

Concert Stars
    I thought he was referring to her breath control... That inhuman length of holding a note! The girl has some lungs!! Great article!!!

Concert Stars
    There is nothing like seeing OUR GIRL at a intimate fair setting.. I saw her in 2006 at the Del Mar fair in San Diego.. She was still a little shy but man could she sing... After JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL the crowd stood up and gave her a 5 minute standing ovation.. To this day I still get GOOSEBUMPS on GOOSEBUMPS just thinking about it.. She didn't know how to react so she just stood there was a sheepish smile on her face trying to say thank you... The Girl is incredible and only getting better by the second..
    HOWDY FOLKS I've missed you all a lot but very soon ill be back posting again..
    CARRIE ROCKS AND WE ROLL(!)
    mbh, liz278, Smokyiiis and 10 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^Wow it is so good to see your post! Missed your positive posts around here! :-)
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    It is so good to see you here, Russ!! We've needed you!!!
    opry051008 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I was at the fair last night and was just bowled over by the difference from when she was here - I'm thinking 5 yrs ago. The crowd went crazy over her when she was here last time and didn't want to let her go, even though she had put on a decent length show (though nothing like last night's). Beings I was a big fan even back then, I knew she had a flight to catch and so had no extra time to pacify us, and when she finished her show the people just screamed for more and the grandstand went crazy with all their stomping and yelling and clapping and even I had to admit there was no doubt she had been greatly loved and no one wanted to let her leave. I was right up front back then and she turned around and I heard her tell Mark "I don't know what to do!!!). She was so talented back then but didn't have the stage presence or experience - she just wanted to give us more and knew she didn't have the time and she felt so bad!! Last night she was nothing but a pro. You could hear every bit of her conversations to the crowd, she didn't just stand and she barely took a breath between songs. She is thee ultimate awesome 1st class performer. You just can't say it any other way. She spoke of what she has been able to experience in the last over 8 years and thanked us all for being such awesome fans that enabled her to do this. She is SO HUMBLE, SO GRATEFUL!! She had a packed house last night with people standing in every corner and the best part was she was shown our love. No matter what happens at the CMT's she knows her fans love her and you could tell that meant so much. The people that were there were there because they loved her or they sure wouldn't have paid those prices. I'm feeling so blessed to be her fan - I can really like other artists but Carrie makes me feel blessed - a whole different experience!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast