Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Popdust: Why Carrie's "Wine After Whiskey" Needs To Be A Single

Popdust: Why Carrie's "Wine After Whiskey" Needs To Be A Single

Carrie, you’re a habit hard to break, and why wouldn’t you be? You have gorgeous legs, impeccable taste in fashion and you know how to pick a hit song (over and over and over again). Tempo-driven songs are obviously your BFFs, and deservedly so; you pull them off marvelously. But here’s a little piece of advice: Please change things up and release a ballad as your next single.

If we Carebears know anything about Carrie’s superstar career (and let’s face it, we all have Google Alerts dedicated to her), it’s that she has been hitting it out of the park with her Blown Away album cycle. With the one-two-three-four punch that was “Good Girl,” the title track, “Two Black Cadillacs” and “See You Again,” Carrie has outdone herself. Not only is her voice in tip-top shape these days, but she truly understands how to incorporate the traditions of country into a modern, mainstream sound. These singles allowed her to broaden the scope of the genre, pushing the envelope lyrically and musically. Each of these releases also focused on driving beats that only exacerbates the songs’ stories.

While these no. 1 hits are perfect representations of Blown Away as a whole, there are some seriously emotional ballads buried within the album’s 14 tracks that could do so much for her career. And “Wine After Whiskey” is one of them; it’s perhaps one of the greatest songs she has ever recorded. The song is tender and raw, with Carrie’s vocal restraint in perfect form.

http://popdust.com/2013/08/16/carrie...after-whiskey/

Concert Stars
    Where's Tee!! Get this to Carrie SOON!! We can all re-tweet it a million times!!! Thanks gaycarebear!!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Where's Tee!! Get this to Carrie SOON!! We can all re-tweet it a million times!!! Thanks gaycarebear!!!!
    It needs to be re-tweeted to Arista/Sony as well! I was just listening to this song on my way into work this morning and I so agree with this article that it needs to be a single!
    Farawayhills, bluetb4 and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Jason, I agree with every word you said. Thank you for writing and sharing this article. Wine After Whiskey needs to be released already!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie sang Wine After Whiskey at her 2012 fan club party. Amazing! I want her to sing it live again.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    [snip] These singles allowed her to broaden the scope of the genre, pushing the envelope lyrically and musically. Each of these releases also focused on driving beats that only exacerbates the songs’ stories.

Why Carrie Underwood's "Wine After Whiskey" Needs to Be a Single - Popdust
    That is a very nicely written article and I agree with much of it. I must ask though Jason what you meant by the quoted section. To me 'exacerbates' has a very negative connotation. To me the beat, in those songs made them more intense which is what they were going for. Did you mean you think the beat took away from the story? I'm really just curious. I personally think it would be a bonus for Carrie to release a ballad, even if it doesn't perform particularly well on the charts just to show some diversity. (My personal preference is DYTAM but I also really like WAW).
    maddkat likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    "Wine After Whiskey" is one of the best songs Carrie has ever done, and I'm absolutely thrilled she included it on "Blown Away."

Often times it seems like if we hear rough demos the studio version ends up being a letdown in one way or another, with edited lyrics or overproduction (Think Taylor's "Sparks Fly").

So, I am absolutely relieved the production of WAW was sparse and beautiful, and Carrie's voice was front and center. Mark Bright allowed the character and vulnerability to shine in her voice, while still keeping the vocal performance absolutely perfect. Every element is balanced perfectly to make an already beautiful song even better.

While I can't see WAW being a single at this point, I'm thrilled Carrie recorded it, just so people can see how far she's come as a singer as songwriter. These are the kinds of songs she should continue to write and record in the future, so I'm glad she tapped into her potential.

I never get my hopes up too high that Carrie will receive recognition from critics, especially because she clearly states she makes music for herself and the fans. I'm just thrilled she recorded the song and it came out as perfectly as it should have. It's something that will last for a long time, and something Carrie (and her fans) can enjoy forever, regardless of what happens with the legacy of any single track or the BA era.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I like WAW but I love DYTAM that song is one of my favorites. I was hopeing for a 5th single being DYTAM.
    jaks_weyn likes this.

Concert Stars
    I would be happy with GIG, WAW, or DYTAM. In fact I want ALL THREE, but I know that won't happen.

Huge Carrie Follower

Mainstream inspiration country music awards

posted July 12, 2013 06:45 PM
    Country superstar Carrie Underwood finds her emotional "See You Again" landing deserved nominations at this year's Inspiration Country Music Awards, set for October 24 at Two Rivers at Opryland in Nashville. Underwood's current single, co-written with Hillary Lindsey and David Hodges, scored a pair of nominations in the Mainstream Inspirational Country Song and Video of the Year categories. Meanwhile, the singer-songwriter swooped up a nod in Mainstream Country Female Artist.

In the latter category, Underwood will face off against Dolly Parton, Faith Hill, Gwen Sebastian, Jamie O'Neal, Lauren Alaina, Martina McBride, Rachel Holder, Reba McEntire and Sara Evans. Over on the male side of things, newcomer Scotty McCreery, Alan Jackson, Andy Griggs, Craig Morgan, Darius Rucker, John Berry, Josh Turner, Lee Brice, Tim McGraw and Vince Gill round out Mainstream Country Male Artist.

Alaina and McCreery also earned nods in Mainstream Inspirational Country Song with "Eighteen Inches" and "Old King James," respectively.

Other mainstream nominees include Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, The Farm and Thompson Square. See the full list of nominations below.

“At this time, more and more mainstream artists are releasing positive messaged songs that bring Faith, Family, and Country into their music and we felt it to be appropriate to recognize these artists for their efforts in bringing such a message to their audience,” says ICM Executive Director Jason Higgins

He adds, 
“I truly love Nashville and all the benefits it has to offer our attendees. We are excited about our expansion plans and look to making this year’s events even better than ever!”

The ICM Faith, Family & Country Awards are dedicated to highlighting the biggest and brightest names in music, ranging from veterans to emerging singer-songwriters. During the awards show week, there will be various events to attend, including the annual ICM Faith, Family and Country Talent Show, The Power Source #1 Party and Media Appreciation Luncheon, the annual membership breakfast, seminars and live music events

Mainstream Inspirational Country Song
    “Changed,” Rascal Flatts
    “Be Grateful,” The Farm
    “Eighteen Inches,” Lauren Alaina

Huge Carrie Follower
    s posted July 12, 2013 06:45 PM
    Country superstar Carrie Underwood finds her emotional "See You Again" landing deserved nominations at this year's Inspiration Country Music Awards, set for October 24 at Two Rivers at Opryland in Nashville. Underwood's current single, co-written with Hillary Lindsey and David Hodges, scored a pair of nominations in the Mainstream Inspirational Country Song and Video of the Year categories. Meanwhile, the singer-songwriter swooped up a nod in Mainstream Country Female Artist.

In the latter category, Underwood will face off against Dolly Parton, Faith Hill, Gwen Sebastian, Jamie O'Neal, Lauren Alaina, Martina McBride, Rachel Holder, Reba McEntire and Sara Evans. Over on the male side of things, newcomer Scotty McCreery, Alan Jackson, Andy Griggs, Craig Morgan, Darius Rucker, John Berry, Josh Turner, Lee Brice, Tim McGraw and Vince Gill round out Mainstream Country Male Artist.

Alaina and McCreery also earned nods in Mainstream Inspirational Country Song with "Eighteen Inches" and "Old King James," respectively.

Other mainstream nominees include Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, The Farm and Thompson Square. See the full list of nominations below.

“At this time, more and more mainstream artists are releasing positive messaged songs that bring Faith, Family, and Country into their music and we felt it to be appropriate to recognize these artists for their efforts in bringing such a message to their audience,” says ICM Executive Director Jason Higgins

He adds, 
“I truly love Nashville and all the benefits it has to offer our attendees. We are excited about our expansion plans and look to making this year’s events even better than ever!”

The ICM Faith, Family & Country Awards are dedicated to highlighting the biggest and brightest names in music, ranging from veterans to emerging singer-songwriters. During the awards show week, there will be various events to attend, including the annual ICM Faith, Family and Country Talent Show, The Power Source #1 Party and Media Appreciation Luncheon, the annual membership breakfast, seminars and live music events

Mainstream Inspirational Country Song
    “Changed,” Rascal Flatts
    “Be Grateful,” The Farm
    “Eighteen Inches,” Lauren Alaina
    “Every Storm Runs Out Of Rain,” Gary Allan
    “I Drive Your Truck,” Lee Brice
    “Met Him In A Motel Room,” Gwen Sebastian
    “Old King James,” Scotty McCreery
    “See You Again,” Carrie Underwood
    “Touchdown Jesus,” Tim McGraw
    “True Believers,” Darius Rucker

Mainstream Country Female Artist
    Carrie Underwood
    Dolly Parton
    Faith Hill
    Gwen Sebastian
    Jamie O’Neal
    Lauren Alaina
    Martina McBride
    Rachel Holder
    Reba McEntire
    Sara Evans

Video of the Year
    “Be Grateful” The Farm
    “Changed” Rascal Flatts
    “Every Storm Runs Out Of Rain” Gary Allan
    “I Drive Your Truck” Lee Brice
    “If I Didn’t Have You” Thompson Square
    “See You Again” Carrie Underwood
    “Sharing The Journey” Lucas Hoge
    “Time Is Love” Josh Turner
    “Toothbrush” Steve Richard
    “True Believers” Darius Rucker

July 10, 2013
    By: Jason Scott

orry everyone here is the rest of mainstream
    Pi314CA, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    "Each of these releases also focused on driving beats that only exacerbates the songs’ stories."

interesting choice of words

not the biggest fan of WAW , for me she way oversings the chorus, but there are worse choices on BA

Pretty sure you didn't mean "exacerbate" there. Maybe you can edit it, Jason?

"Enhances" instead of "exacerbates"?
    HuiZ and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    "Wine After Whiskey" is, has been, and always will be my pick to close out the Blown Away era. It needs to be released. No other song being released would feel right as a closer to the era. "Do You Think About Me" and "Good in Goodbye" are all great, as well, but she's released four consecutive, critically-acclaimed hits. DYTAM is too light and GIG is too close to a pop ballad sound, and people have already given Carrie some flak this era for her pop-leaning releases with this album. WAW is immaculate. There's not even the slightest shed of doubt that it'd continue Carrie's Top 2 streak.
    terilyn likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Excellent article, Jason, thanks!!

Suggestion:
    How about replacing exacerbates with accentuates?

Definition of ACCENTUATE

: accent, emphasize; also : intensify <accentuates the feeling of despair>
    DaisyTweets and HuiZ like this.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    That's cool that Popdust wants Wine After Whiskey as a single but its up to Carrie and her team not us..

Concert Stars
    Great article Jason! I retweeted it so I hope carrie sees it!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The only time I ever tweeted Carrie about a song, she didn't answer, Lol

The song "Carrie's Graveyard Book" is based on a true story, and I thought it just might be of interest to her, because of her name, the charitable subject, and the fact that it was set in Franklin TN.
    You can read the story, and hear Carrie Hassler (the original artist of "Country Strong") singing it on this page, if anyone's interested:
    Carrie?s Graveyard Book Civil War True Stories | Rural Rhythm Records

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This is what' I've been saying since the beginning. WAW is def in my top 3 of BA era, plus it's more on the traditional side of country, and it's been a while since she's had one of those.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast