Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By maddkat
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By Manchs
  • 1 Post By Zman312
  • 1 Post By simonplay
  • 1 Post By epicamends

Thread: OFFSTAGE: Old Carrie Underwood Song Is New Rachel Holder Song

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

OFFSTAGE: Old Carrie Underwood Song Is New Rachel Holder Song

CMT : News : OFFSTAGE: Old Carrie Underwood Song Is New Rachel Holder Song

"Lord Help Me" is one of those songs that makes you love country music. And just as it would've been perfect for Carrie Underwood -- who co-wrote the song with Ashley Monroe and Katrina Elam -- it's perfect for newcomer Rachel Holder, who is releasing it to country radio within the next week, so I thought I'd get a little back story on it and, most importantly, find out why Underwood didn't hang onto it for herself.

"I have no idea why Carrie didn't release it. It's so good," Holder told me. "I first heard Katrina's version. Then I heard Carrie's demo with just her vocal and a guitar. I think that version must've been from their songwriting session. And I knew there was really something there. But I didn't know for sure that Carrie had actually written it until after I'd recorded mine. So when I was singing it, I put my own spin on it. Even though the song has a Carrie feel to it, I was thinking about my own path and my own problems with guys."

But don't let the title fool you. This song is not a straight-up Christian one. There are lyrics about the Lord and a heavenly mess, but it is more about falling in and out of love. Holder will probably experience that a few more times before she finds the one. In the meantime, she says she's just following God's path. "I really believe that God put me on this path for a reason. He led me this whole way," she said. "God drives my bus and takes me where I'm supposed to go."
    I always liked this one. Heard someone singing it from one of the smaller stages during CMAfest as I was walking by.Could have been Rachel, sounded good.

Bonnie Tyler just recorded this too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBbpMU8W8I

Concert Stars
    I can see why Carrie didn't record it. ITs not that strong a song. At least not compared to alot of Carries material.
    Josh likes this.

Get that money, sis.
    liveasong likes this.

Concert Stars
    I loved that song too! S happy someone is recording it and it willbe their debut. Amesome!

It can be a great rock song! I really want Carrei to release a country rock album!!! She would be so perfect!
    maddkat likes this.

I want hear the Carrie demo!!! love that song!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Wow!! I think that song has a lot of power. Bonnie sounds great, and I too would love to hear Carrie sing it. Thanks for posting MaddKat.

Concert Stars
    I love this song a lot, and it really suited Carrie on the demo. Oh, well. If Carrie's gonna pass on it, then it's good that somebody's gonna snatch it up.

I love this song. I think it would've suited Carrie during the CR or PO eras, but I can see why she's letting it go now. Glad to see so many up and coming artists recording Carrie co-writes! She's definitely getting her name out there as a songwriter.
    nccountrygal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I can see why Carrie didn't record it. ITs not that strong a song. At least not compared to alot of Carries material.

I'd have to disagree there - I prefer it to some of the other material.

From what I heard, one reason why this and some other songs from this era were not chosen was that Carrie wanted to demonstrate a point about leaked versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman312
    I loved that song too! S happy someone is recording it and it willbe their debut. Amesome!
    It can be a great rock song! I really want Carrei to release a country rock album!!! She would be so perfect!
    I agree. Country Rock is one of the areas I'd really like to see Carrie explore more.

But whether people like this particular song or not, the fact that it's been recorded by two artists (one a "legend" in her 60s making a return to her Country Music roots after power-anthem success in General Music, and the other a teenager launching a Mainstream career) is another significant tribute to Carrie's songwriting (publicized tinight by Alison Banaguro, Ashley, and Rachel herself)

Incidently, this video shows Rachel - already a seasoned Roots performer at Dollywood - having the nerve to ask Vince Gill, from the audience, for a duet on "Oklahoma Swing" (and then, when he wished her good luck, to reply "good luck to you too"!). Some may find that precocious assertiveness rather annoying - but I think it's evidence of someone who knows where she wants to go! Good luck to her, in a business that prefers to shoehorn people into its own perceived levels of success.

I'm not sure if that is the original, or a staged follow up repetition, but the story that she originally asked for the duet out of the blue, at a concert she was attending with her parents, is apparently true. I believe she's 19 now.

Concert Stars
    I'm not a fan of this song at all, but I feel like I'd like it much better hearing Carrie's voice on it. The demo's not out there is it?

Either way, it's great that so many of her co-writes are seeing the light through other artists.

Concert Stars
    It's fine. As long as nobody touches to 'Favorite Part', I'm fine!

Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    It's fine. As long as nobody touches to 'Favorite Part', I'm fine!
    I really wish Carrie had put that song on PO. It would've been perfect for that album. <3

Concert Stars
    ^Have we heard that song? Where have I been?

Concert Stars
    pretty good song!

You can hear her version here

Rachel Holder@RachelHolder
    Listen here to "Lord Help Me" with the performance slideshow from the Kickapoo Stump Dodger Bash 2013! http://fb.me/6pgTA8cZ0

•