Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood to sing at STARS concert

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar

Carrie Underwood to sing at STARS concert

Carrie Underwood to sing at STARS concert

Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 10:05 am By Madeleine Smither, The Monitor

Frank Micelotta
    FILE - This June 5, 2013 file photo shows Carrie Underwood at the 2013 CMT Music Awards at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. Underwood used Twitter to oppose the "Ag Gag" bill, that opponents claimed would have stopped investigation into animal abuse on farms, in Tennessee, reaching out directly to Gov. Bill Haslam with a boldly worded message saying if he signed it “he needs to expect me at his front door.” (Photo by Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP, File)

Country star Carrie Underwood will headline at the 2013 STARS Scholarship Fund Extravaganza on Friday, Sept. 6 at State Farm Arena. Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, July 12.

"We're very pleased, very excited to have this artist," Greg LaMantia, vice chairman of the board of directors at STARS, announced at a news conference before unveling a life-sized poster of the singer.

Underwood, best known for her country hits like "Before He Cheats" and "Jesus, Take the Wheel," is a six-time Grammy winner with 16 No. 1 singles to her name. She is currently on tour promoting her newest album, Blown Away.

In the past Toby Keith, Sugarland, Martina McBride, Lady Antebellum and Blake Shelton have all performed for the STARS event.

STARS Scholarship Fund is a nonprofit organization that provides financial assistance to eligible college students in Laredo, Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley, and for the first time this year, the nonprofit will broaden its scope to include El Paso.

"This is a step in the right direction," LaMantia said of the addition. "We're getting more scholarships for more kids in more locations. This is something everyone in the Valley knows we need, and it is a community effort."

Each year, the group hosts a series of events including the annual concert, dinner and auction to raise funds, and 100 percent of the proceeds go to scholarships.

At last year's event, the group raised $2.3 million, amassing funds for an estimated 1,100 students. To date, STARS Scholarship Fund has raised $19 million and provided more than 9,000 scholarships to students continuing their education.

www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/local/article_e201278a-e7df-11e2-af97-001a4bcf6878.html
    www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_8d762ec6-e7db-11e2-bfd9-0019bb30f31a.html

Concert Stars
    I think Carrie has finally won over Texas!!! (Smiley)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    There've been a lot of delighted tweets about this! The Rio Grande Valley is not a rich area, and the money raised will go to fund scholarships for students to continue their education. Hidalgo County is nearly 90% Hispanic-American, and the surrounding area is officially ranked by the Federal Government as one of the most deprived parts of the country. Nearly half the population are of school age and nearly 30% are from households receiving food stamps.

It's much appreciated that star performers like Carrie include this "extravanganza" benefit on their calendar.

I understand that the "special guest" opening for Carrie will be Chase Rice.

Currently enjoying the biggest songwriting success of his career with the chart-topping crossover hit "Cruise" (cut by Florida Georgia line), he's an interesting singer in his own right, with a self-release album. This is one of his best tracks:

Chase Rice - Jack Daniel's and Jesus - YouTube

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I'm a little confused the posted article says the STARS charity concert is the sixth in Hidalgo and Carrie Underwood to Headline STARS Scholarship Fund Concert - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend this one says its the fifth in Corpus. Unless they are doing two performances somebody is publicizing incorrect information.
    teesharky likes this.

Hopefully she's performing both dates.

Concert Stars
    I am confused too cuz it seems there are two STARS shows- one in corpus cristi at American bank center 9/5 and one 9/6 in Hidalgo at a different venue completely.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ both are listed on the FC. Presales tomorrow
    teesharky and opry051008 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ so cool!

Blake Shelton headlined STARS last year. If you play the short news video, it tells you something about the event's aims

Blake Shelton Heads STARS Concert in Hidalgo | Fox Rio 2 News RGV
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I love how Carrie always headlines music festivals! (smiley) #CountryQueen
    Last edited by liveasong; 07-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Smokyiiis and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Chase Rice ‏@ChaseRiceMusic 1h First Texas show EVER. 9/5 Corpus Christi at American Bank Center w/@carrieunderwood. Gonna sell out so get em early!

Concert Stars
    I've been trying since 10AM sharp to get tickets and it consistently says "HIGH DEMAND, try again." One time it gave me a chance for Section 111 row 23. I give up.

Concert Stars
    Oh, that's too bad, Smokyiiis, give it a couple more trys!!
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Okay tried again but nothing available except upper tier. I honestly do not believe that the presale has a single ticket on the floor up front. I did an internet search and some of the stub hubs and other ticket places already have seats to these concerts at double and triple the price tag. How do they get them when they haven't even started offering to public yet?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I hope you manage to get some tickets, Smokyiiis. Good luck!

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Okay tried again but nothing available except upper tier. I honestly do not believe that the presale has a single ticket on the floor up front. I did an internet search and some of the stub hubs and other ticket places already have seats to these concerts at double and triple the price tag. How do they get them when they haven't even started offering to public yet?
    Actually I'm not sure they are selling floor seats to these concerts at all. It's a charity event so I think they have reserved all the floor seats for sponsors and such. I think I remember reading something about that yesterday but I don't remember where. I don't know what Stub hub and the other scalpers are up to but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't selling tickets they don't actually have yet.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ I thought I read that floor seats would not be sold to the public. Unfortunately I cannot find the article.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That is so cool Carrie is a part of another charity

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast