• 1 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 4 Post By judes

Thread: Story Behind the Song: Carrie Underwood - Wasted

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Story Behind the Song: Carrie Underwood - Wasted

Story Behind the Song: Carrie Underwood - Wasted

By: Alanna Conaway
    Last Updated: June 27, 2013 3:06 PM

When it comes to writing song, like most writers, Troy Verges has his close circle of friends who pull out the very best in him. One of those writers is the phenomenal Hillary Lindsey. So when Verges, Lindsey and fellow hitmaker Marv Green jumped in on a three-way write years back, the result was a smash, especially when Carrie Underwood heard their little song -- "Wasted" -- and took it straight up the country singles chart.

"Hillary has had a gazillion hits with Carrie Underwood, but this was early on in the number of singles that she released," Verges tells Roughstock of the day the three wrote the tune. "It was a normal kind of write. Marv, Hillary and I all knew each other, but we'd never written that kind of song together. We just started from that title, and we kind of wrote it a million different ways with a bunch of different stories in the verses, rather than making it just one story. There was actually one more storyline that we originally had in the song, but we pulled it out last minute while we were demoing the song, just because we felt it was going to make the song too long.

"It was really cool to be able to have this success with Hillary," adds Verges. "We wrote [Martina McBride's] 'Blessed' also. She is probably one of my favorite co-writers ever. I've been writing with her longer than anybody. We just really click. It was awesome to get to be a part of that with her and have that experience. Then, to hear Carrie Underwood sing one of your songs ... I mean, there are tons of artists I love who can't sing like Carrie Underwood. So to hear her voice on my song is pretty incredible. There are a lot of artists who don't beat the demo when Hillary sings the demo because she's so friggin' good! Carrie can. She can out-sing anybody! It's bone-chilling, especially on a song like 'Wasted,' which is right in her wheelhouse. She is just so great."

Read more at Story Behind the Song: Carrie Underwood - Wasted | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Great article! Thank you for posting. Wasted is probably my favourite Carrie song of all time.

Concert Stars
    "She can out-sing anybody! It's bone-chilling, especially on a song like 'Wasted,' which is right in her wheelhouse. She is just so great."

I absolutely love this line!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, that's a great compliment!

Carrie is by far one of the best country singers country music has ever had, and it's so great to see her friends and peers recognize her for it.

"Wasted" is a fantastic song, and Carrie absolutely kills it now. So effortless for her, she is amazing.

I'll always remember when Kevin from Country Universe said that Carrie "can outsing any of her peers from the corner of her mouth."

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    You'll see a lot of tributes to Carrie - but, believe me, this is one of the best. For someone with the knowledge of the contemporary genre that Troy Verges has, and the range of artists he's heard, to give Carrie that complement means a great deal.
    And I suspect it may mean a lot to her too, to see her artistry evaluated in that way - to be known in the sector as a "songwriters' singer" tends to have a special value for an artist that charts and awards alone can't really convey.

Carrie Guru
    I like "Wasted Very very much. I do think that Because "Carrie Underwood" sang the song, it became number 1 on the chart -- if I am not mistaken . 3 weeks number 1 on Billboard. Note: Almost every single of Carrie become number 1.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great song and wonderful complement to Carrie - love to read that and write another one Troy, please - this time with Carrie included in the writing session and Hillary of course

Concert Stars
    I love reading these..love knowing where the songs came from! thanks for posting!

Did Hillary's demo version ever leak? Just curious

Carrie Guru
    I love the picture !

•