• 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By Schrodinger
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189

Thread: EW - CMT Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

EW - CMT Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

Lots of Carrie mentions!

CMT Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

Worst hosts: With dead eyes and a stiff posture, Jason Aldean left returnee Kristen Bell to once again try way too hard to elicit laughter from the crowd. Their ongoing gag about which duet to sing together (a thinly veiled attempt to get people to use the #CMTawards hashtag) was downright painful - and frequent teleprompter issues didn't help. These two were no Brad and Carrie. They were no Blake and Reba, either. Heck, they were no Blake and Luke - andthat'ss saying something.

Best joke: The only marked improvement from last year's ceremony came in the opening sketch - a weird spoof of a Sopranos-style therapy session that featured appearances by Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Kelsey Grammer, Lorainne Bracco, and Vince Vaughn, who was hawking his film The Internship. The skit was only mildly funny, but it featured a surprisingly smart barb directed at Luke Bryan.

Worst presenters: All the CMT folk that got trotted out, including Dog the Bounty Hunter and Larry the Cable Guy, who delivered a painfully unfunny monologue about why Carrie Underwood needed to stop calling him. Look, I'm a southern guy and an unashamed fan of Jeff Foxworthy - I love a dumb joke every now and then - but does ANYONE find Larry the Cable Guy's shtick even slightly funny anymore?

Overall MVP: Carrie Underwood rightfully won the Video of the Year prize for her beautifully shot Wizard of Oz-inspired "Blown Away", and she delivered the best vocal of the night on her ballad "See You Again", which also served as a tribute to the victims of the Oklahoma tornadoes. (Underwood donated $1 million to the Red Cross' relief efforts last week.)

But really, Carrie (and husband Mike Fisher) gets the MVP award for effortlessly conveying what every viewer was feeling during the lame ceremony:

Carrie Underwood pretty much sums up my feelings about the humor on the#CMTawards. vine.co/v/b3lxaHT7TiY€”
    Grady Smith (@gradywsmith) June 06, 2013
    Full article: CMT Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast | The Music Mix | EW.com

Concert Stars
    I actually liked Larry the Cable Guy last night! I thought the same thing they did when I saw Carrie's face as Jason took that drink LOL

Love that they loved her performance!

Hil
    I liked Larry the cable guy...and I LOVED the opening skit. hilarious Lorraine Bracco actually made an appearance. If you look at what the CMT awards usually are...this was a huge improvement. I thought the drinking joke was kinda dumb, because not everyone has to get lit to perform. Just looks so redneck. That aside, this year was WAY better than previous years. Love Kristen Bell. She's so cute.

Concert Stars
    Hillarious!

I love that shot of Carries face (something liveasong would come up with..)

OVerall I liked the energy of the show itself.

Jason was terrible. Why did anyone think he was a good idea. He thinks he is so cool and above it all. IT comes across as smug and awkward. "and I am glad he keeps that ugly mug hidden under that hat." ha ha ha JK.

I do have to say, for as much as Nashville wants the world to accept Blake and Miranda as the Power Couple New Tim&Faith, No one could argue the poise and elegance that was radiating from Mike and Carrie.
    Grace Style Elegance Class. and they weren't even trying!

I liked the cable guy bit, but it went too long. I thought comedians where supposed to be able to feeel these things.
    Wagon Wheel was great but it went too long. I like Hunter. His voice is unreliable but his energy is great.

I'll be honest I fast forwarded alot.

MBH was a throwaway, so I won't even give her props for it. IF she didn't care, why should I?

Blowin Smoke was Great!! i've got my eye on this girl. Fearless performance for a debut. She can do more performance wise, but I liked her energy alot, and I think the audience did to.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Hillarious!

I love that shot of Carries face (something liveasong would come up with..)
    I must be dense but I don't get why people are commenting on the look on her face. People were commenting on twitter that she looked disgusted. To me it was just a neutral face. She wasn't laughing but she wasn't cringing either. She may have looked a little bored (probably because she was.) I'm probably trying to over analyze so carry on if you found it funny.
    Hil and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    I loved the Larry the Cable Guy's bit only because you got to see Mike act silly. We all got to see his sense of humor coming out in a mostly boring night. I spent most of the night voting like crazy. Although I did find that Darius, LBT & Lady A put on great performance too. But the BEST performance went to Carrie! It was an emotional performance and I loved the choir with her.
    jaylee50, oldyfan, Hil and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I must be dense but I don't get why people are commenting on the look on her face. People were commenting on twitter that she looked disgusted. To me it was just a neutral face. She wasn't laughing but she wasn't cringing either. She may have looked a little bored (probably because she was.) I'm probably trying to over analyze so carry on if you found it funny.
    Yeah, no it wasn't like she was giving a stink face or anything. There was just a subtle quality to her face that suggested a bit of distain. "I don't actually think that is hwat she was thinking at all. IT was just a funny moment that the camera was on her with that particular look when he was telling that particular joke.
    YEah, don't over analize it. It really wasn't "that" funny.

I still can't find any videos from the CMT Awards! So many performances and clips I want to check out! =(

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Congrats Carrie on winning another CMT Award

Concert Stars
    These two were no Brad and Carrie. LOVED this line!!!!!! Pasleywood rules!!!!
    mbh, rainbow1, carriefan13 and 9 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Hehe what a great article for carrie!! Love it!! It feels so good to see her get props for once!!
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    No. The more I see of these award shows, the more I am convinced there simly is not other Brad and Carrie!!

Concert Stars
    I'm glad everyone seems to think that Carrie's vocals were the best! xD
    oldyfan and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    shhhhhhhhh, me to. don't break the glass.........

Honestly though, on Carries worst day she does so well. I really just love her voice. And after going back and listening again, I loved certain moments. exacmple on the bridge she started to open up more than usual on "But I stay strong and I hold on...."
    And I loved what that did for the urgency of the performance.

And there was a little upflip she did on "faded in to the setting sun". I liked that to.
    I think what sometimes happens, and it freaks me out each time, is her breathing changes and she starts to get behind the beat, and I think she is going to go completely off, but she gets back on again.
    I think the nerves make her feel like she has to breath more often and it changes the pace of her vocal.
    And of course when she is that emotional she is actually trying to avoid thinking too hard about the lyrics so that changes things dramatically as well.

So I just give her a great deal of credit for always being the one who has to deliver "the big moment". She is always relied upon and she always comes through.

Rarely does Carrie Underwood sing where it is just a simple little enjoyable moment. It is always supposed to be "EPIC" and that is alot of pressure to have to deal with.

That is why I loved the fan party. That is the true Carrie Underwood voice. Effortless and endlessly beautiful to listen to.
    oldyfan and DaisyTweets like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    shhhhhhhhh, me to. don't break the glass.........

Honestly though, on Carries worst day she does so well. I really just love her voice. And after going back and listening again, I loved certain moments. exacmple on the bridge she started to open up more than usual on "But I stay strong and I hold on...."
    And I loved what that did for the urgency of the performance.

And there was a little upflip she did on "faded in to the setting sun". I liked that to.
    I think what sometimes happens, and it freaks me out each time, is her breathing changes and she starts to get behind the beat, and I think she is going to go completely off, but she gets back on again.
    I think the nerves make her feel like she has to breath more often and it changes the pace of her vocal.
    And of course when she is that emotional she is actually trying to avoid thinking too hard about the lyrics so that changes things dramatically as well.

So I just give her a great deal of credit for always being the one who has to deliver "the big moment". She is always relied upon and she always comes through.

Rarely does Carrie Underwood sing where it is just a simple little enjoyable moment. It is always supposed to be "EPIC" and that is alot of pressure to have to deal with.

That is why I loved the fan party. That is the true Carrie Underwood voice. Effortless and endlessly beautiful to listen to.
    It will be interesting to see if her breath control changes after the vocal lessons she's taking for SoM
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    ITs very possible. That is going to be a great oportunity for her, I am thrilled she is going to do that.

I think the only real issue is "when and where" she chooses to breath.
    Her whole catalog of music is just a textbook in breathing. Huge notes/tiny notes/ long phrases/short purccusive phrases. There is a tremedous amount of lung power that goes into her songs. And with that, there is the fear that at any moment she will not have taken in enough air to get through the phrase unbroken.

Most pop music today is specifically written to be easy to sing (or shout).
    But Carries is the oposite. IT is almost written to show off her skills so when you have to sing them live, it is tough.

SOM is not nearly as taxing. All that music is very "sing-along" friendly.

the one exception is "The Lonely Goat-herd" (she gets to yodel!!!!!) that one is not easy and it does require some technique.

So I imagine the biggest thing she will work on "breath wise" is the placement of breaths. And to stay with in the plan.

IT is very easy to plan out breathing and then when you are nervous you start gulping for breaths. Bad. Stick to breathing plan, Good. ha ha ha.

I think alot of what they will work on is tonal quality. The quality she had for the Music Rocks MOvies was absolute perfection. And I imagine they will work on staying within that tonality and not slipping into a more raw natural "gutteral" sound.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars

Sounds very easy when Julie Andrews does it but is not easy at all to do properly.

Concert Stars
    I totally agree with all that was said in this article!
    oldyfan likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I Only Watched And Tivoed The Show Because Of Carrie!!! LOL

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I loved our Carrie - love the song love the performance. Loved both outfits she wore - that red carpet outfit was so special and what a figure to put it on!!! Her performance outfit was so perfect for the song!! She is just flat perfection. Then coming in 2nd was LBT - boy they had that audience rockin and I loved it! Didn't care for boring Jason nor Miss Bell - far too many skits / jokes that weren't funny and she just tries way too hard!

•