Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Personality Training on American Idol

Concert Stars

Personality Training on American Idol

Source: 'American Idol' favorite Candice Glover getting personality training | Fox News

We’re just weeks away from selecting a brand new “American Idol,” and the quest to be the perfect pop star package is getting personal.
    According to an inside source, fan favorite Candice Glover – considered by many critics to have the best voice of all – is trying to seal the deal with some personality training.
    “Candice really has the best voice and the potential to win, but doesn’t have that much personality. So at the urging of Mariah (Carey) she has been given a professional personality coach in the last couple of weeks,” the source told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “Mariah is really rooting for her.”
    However, it seems the special treatment isn’t sitting well with the other contestants, and is causing some bitterness and conflict behind the scenes.
    “It’s fueling the contestants,” continued the insider. “And it’s fueling the ongoing feud between Mariah and Nicky (Minaj) too. Nicky has other ideas of who should win.”
    Glover joins fellow top four finalists Kree Harrison, Angie Miller and Amber Holcomb on the hit FOX show this week, in which another hopeful will face the chopping block on Wednesday night. And whether or not Glover’s personality coaching works, it apparently worked for Carrie Underwood, the humble farm girl from Oklahoma who took advantage of the same special service when she won the crown in 2005.
    “Back then Carrie was considered too quiet and flat,” added the insider. “Bo Bice (the eventual runner-up) was the one with the winning charm.”

Read more: Source: 'American Idol' favorite Candice Glover getting personality training | Fox News

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I wonder if that is true. First I heard of this.
    pgk and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Do you have to have at least a bit of a personality for someone to work with? The only thing I see from Candice is surliness. Perhaps they're trying to wipe the scowl off her face. Take that frown & turn it upside down!

Concert Stars
    I am not sure what to do with this info.
    It certainly is not fair to offer professional services to one contestant and not "all".
    And it certainly costs the show money, so I am not sure that this can be all that reliable.

And it makes it all the more questionable by throwing an unncessary "Carrie Comment" in there that seems to have come from a Bo fan.

How after 8 years of collosaul success by one and epic fail by the other, can Bo fans still like to throw in the "Carrie has no personality" comments.

Concert Stars
    I don't think that is true.. for some reason.. lol I don't know..

Obsessed Carrie Fan Eder Rodrigues's Avatar
    Being the most voted in every week through the entire season, do you really think she would need something like this?
    rainbow1, opry051008 and pgk like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    Do you have to have at least a bit of a personality for someone to work with? The only thing I see from Candice is surliness. Perhaps they're trying to wipe the scowl off her face. Take that frown & turn it upside down!
    Surly?? Ha ha ha......you're so bad.

Surly Candice!

(some people just have walls. Not everyone can be Doris Day or Kellie Pickler! (Thank God))
    pgk, GumbyJRH and Mirasa45A like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    This reeks of a publicity stunt.. Idol's ratings are down and they are trying anything to get ratings up and they will believe that DRAMA sells.

If they really want to increase ratings then on tonight's show they should announce that on tomorrow's show there will be a special duet between Mariah and Nikki. Can the co-exist? Now that would cause alot of buzz!

Concert Stars
    It will forever annoy me that being quiet and reserved is the equivalent of having no personality. The world would be so boring if everybody was like Kellie Pickler.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I think Candace has more problems than a personality coach can fix. The type of music that she seems stuck in the groove with is not going to sell. She has a great voice but we have already seen that it takes more than a voice. Ruben and Fantasia both have good voices.....unfortunately their music is not mainstream enough to sell. As shy as Carrie was, her first single was one pushed upon her by AI, IYH....it was a hit. You could see Carrie blossom and grow as a performer. As far as a personality coach fir Carrie, she may have been given some help as all are, but I really did not see evidence if it. What I did see was as her confidence that she could achieve her dream, she forced herself to do what it took. The first time I saw her on TV after Idol, she ws still the farmgirl in kind of an awkward sundress with cowboy boots. She was criticized for it and it was not long after that she had Trish as a stylist and the evolution of Carrie from farm girl to stylish county queen began. She worked hard to lose weight and still works on keeping toned. It is a package and while Carrie had all of the raw materials she worked incredibly hard to achieve her image, so much so that now she is criticized by some as a plastic Barbie. Carrie was incredibly shy on Idol but still had charm. Her performances connecting with the audiance was the thing she had to grow into. I still prefer Kree and frankly she is a little cold and distant as well, but it is a fact country can sell if she pushes the right sound.

Concert Stars
    Also, how would the others feel if Mariah is getting her the coach? That would be very prejudice, I would think!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This has Nigel stink written all over it.
    opry051008 and supercarriefan like this.

Concert Stars
    I understand the Carrie-connection to Kree but I am afraid it is not going to go that way for her.

Carrie was able (just naturally) to be relatable to many women at once. The very young, teens, young adults, adults, even older women related to her honest humility.

Kree has a much thinner line of availability I believe. I do think she is more of the "Leanne Womack/Trisha YEarwood" stock.
    Which is amazing company! But somehow somewhere recently, I think women have started to relate to the younger mindset alot more, and the Swift brand of singing about being young and vulnerable seems to connect with them even thought it is way out of thier age bracket.
    Even Carrie still manages to come across young and current but adult.

Kree comes across very well established to an older mindset of country music. And that is something to be honored and appreciated but will it cause CD's to fly off the shelves? No.

Carries music sells (I believe) cause she authentically sells the ideas and images in her songs. And they are reletively young ault ideas. They are current, contemporary and feel like emotions young adult women are having today.

Taylors music sells cause she is authentically selling the ideas and images in her songs. "This is what it feels like to be young and vulnerable".

What would Kree sell? Faith Hill / Martina M. / Trisha Yearwood / Leanne Womack /....?

Kree has got to pull her head out and get more current in her thoughts and ideas when it comes to music. That is why I am excited to hear her tackle SYA. It can be a blessing, or a disaster.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    It will forever annoy me that being quiet and reserved is the equivalent of having no personality. The world would be so boring if everybody was like Kellie Pickler.
    There's a lot of sides to Kellie Pickler so don't be ragging on her. (smiley)

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    What you need it the IT factor, Simon Cowell said that Carrie projected likeability. Yet she was very shy.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    This has Nigel stink written all over it.
    I agree. When I read the story on MJs today, I assumed right away that this was Nigel's doing in his effort to make Candice look bad. My guess is that Candice was ahead of the show's precious Amber last week in votes. By planting an unflattering story about Candice, she may lose some of her voters. It's becoming clear between this and the judges' comments to Candice last week that she is no longer wanted on the show for whatever reason. I think the show is looking for an Amber/Angie finale.
    This isn't the first time Idol has been suspected of planting stories to sway the voting, but this may be one of the weirdest stories they've planted lol.
    I'm sure all of the contestants receive some sort of training for the media, which would include a certain amount of "personality" training.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post

Couldn't agree with you more. And it's often people who are aggressively outgoing (annoying, my word) who use this label for people who fail to entertain them. As for kellie, I've always felt that her behaviour hindered her ability to rise within the country celebrity community. I always found it over the top. But, lately I've seen Kellie tone it down and maybe this personality adjustment will help her succeed when she returns.

Having said that, what the world sees as well adjusted are those who fall somewhere in the middle of the personality scale, anyone at either end of this scale, that is, either too high or too low would raise some concerns.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Um. I'm sorry, but the idea of CARRIE receiving "personality training" seems like complete and utter bull.

Her fans supported her like crazy every week because they liked her for who she is; she never would've made it where she is if she didn't have a ton of support from the start.
    Marie2011, pgk, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I agree. When I read the story on MJs today, I assumed right away that this was Nigel's doing in his effort to make Candice look bad. My guess is that Candice was ahead of the show's precious Amber last week in votes. By planting an unflattering story about Candice, she may lose some of her voters. It's becoming clear between this and the judges' comments to Candice last week that she is no longer wanted on the show for whatever reason. I think the show is looking for an Amber/Angie finale.
    This isn't the first time Idol has been suspected of planting stories to sway the voting, but this may be one of the weirdest stories they've planted lol.
    I'm sure all of the contestants receive some sort of training for the media, which would include a certain amount of "personality" training.
    "What" to this???

You know you are one of the most insistant posters that we all stay respectful of celebrities and women in particular and remember to treat them like people and don't hate and shade and blah blah blah....but then this?

"My guess is that Candace was ahead of "the shows precious Amber" in votes...." ??

(as if it is too inconceivable that Amber may have been ahead of Candace, or that Amber should be treated like a spoiled undeserving specially treated shoe-in?)

At face value this article has nothing to do with Amber.
    And it points directly at an issue that this thread has been discussing for months, "Candaces personality".

I'm not that big a fan of Amber, but how you turned an article about Candace into another "lets knock Amber down a few.." speech is just bizarre to me.

The main reason I have been speaking up so much for Amber in the last several weeks is this attitude directly.

Sorry to go off. But how did Amber become the problem again???????

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    I cannot speak to the part about Candice. But I am 100% certain that Carrie did not have any professional personality training during Idol. The changes in Carrie's personality evolved naturally over the years after Idol as she got more confident in herself and lost some of her shyness.
    pklongbeach, pgk, gna and 9 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast