Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Shady TN LawMaker Sponsors AG Gag Bill After Taking Gifts From Farm Bureau(CU Mention

Concert Stars

Shady TN LawMaker Sponsors AG Gag Bill After Taking Gifts From Farm Bureau(CU Mention

The plot thickens! Wow!

Shady GOP TN Lawmaker Sponsors Ag Gag Bill After Taking Gifts from Farm Bureau http://www.politicususa.com/tn-gop-lawmaker-lost-twitter-war-carrie-underwood-loses-email-war-reality.html … via @politicusus

Concert Stars
    Great article! The person who wrote this really did their homework on him.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    The plot thickens! Wow!

Shady GOP TN Lawmaker Sponsors Ag Gag Bill After Taking Gifts from Farm Bureau http://www.politicususa.com/tn-gop-lawmaker-lost-twitter-war-carrie-underwood-loses-email-war-reality.html … via @politicusus
    Nice read. The ending is particularly entertaining.
    Pi314CA, teesharky and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    haha omg love the ending!!
    mbh likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love that people are starting to expose this jerk! Great article!
    mbh, DizzyDollyDee and teesharky like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Hopefully this will result in some changes - all sounds pretty fishy in Denmark to me!!
    mbh likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I wouldn't exactly call that a completely unbiased source but their facts appear to be sound. This is the most salient point in the entire article:
    "At the very least, lawmakers should avoid being in the position of having their integrity so easily questioned."

Even if I give Holt the benefit of every doubt and assume that all of the goodies had absolutely nothing to do with trying to influence legislation an ethical lawmaker would have turned them down simply to avoid even a hint or a question of influence peddling. Dont even get me started on the rape comment there is absolutely no way to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. He just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper.

In the interest of balance, here is a less opinionated article: Roy Exum: AgGag Sponsor Goes Ballistic - 04/28/2013 - Chattanoogan.com

Concert Stars
    Mr. Holt started a real Sh*t storm without even knowing it. He done picked the wrong folks to mess with. Careful for what you sew you shall also reap.
    mbh and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    He did it to himself though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mbh likes this.

Concert Stars
    When are we going to know the final outcome of this?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Since the bill's already passed the legislature, it will automatically become law unless the Governor vetoes it (if he washes his hands of it and does nothing - which is what usually happens with contentious bills - it becomes law anyway. He only had ten days to decide, but I'm not sure when that started.). Apparently, Governor Haslam has only used a formal veto once (that was a case when he didn't think the legislature should interfere with the internal policy of a University).

If the Governor does nothing, the new law may still be tested in the courts, and ruled unconstitutional (that is possible, if it is judged to interfere with free speech)
    teesharky, rainbow1 and mbh like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Sugarlandgirl4life's Avatar
    What a read. And yes, the ending was particularly great :P

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Since the bill's already passed the legislature, it will automatically become law unless the Governor vetoes it (if he washes his hands of it and does nothing - which is what usually happens with contentious bills - it becomes law anyway. He only had ten days to decide, but I'm not sure when that started.). Apparently, Governor Haslam has only used a formal veto once (that was a case when he didn't think the legislature should interfere with the internal policy of a University).

If the Governor does nothing, the new law may still be tested in the courts, and ruled unconstitutional (that is possible, if it is judged to interfere with free speech)
    That and freedom of the press. The courts take a very dim view of any law that has a chilling effect on freedom of the press. There is no compelling state interest in this law that can't be satisfied in a less intrusive manner so if any press that gets fined will take this all the way up. Further, most big news outlets will not disclose their sources even if there is no press shield law.
    mbh likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    That and freedom of the press. The courts take a very dim view of any law that has a chilling effect on freedom of the press. There is no compelling state interest in this law that can't be satisfied in a less intrusive manner so if any press that gets fined will take this all the way up. Further, most big news outlets will not disclose their sources even if there is no press shield law.
    This bill, when it becomes a law is a WASTE of TAX PAYER'S MONEY! ACLU and HUMANE SOCIETY have powerful lawyers like you, "Schrodinger". They will file a lawsuit ALL THE WAY TO THE "SUPREME COURT". And it will be declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL based on the FIRST AMENDMENT of the "Bill of Rights". Andy Holt do not care about that WASTE OF MONEY that can be spent FOR THE PEOPLE of Tennessee instead. I am not a lawyer, though. I just based it on HISTORY!
    teesharky likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post

I'm not sure exactly sure how it works but I read one article that said the TN state attorney general was reviewing its constitutionality. The bill apparently doesn't go to the governor until after that review. It would seem that it is possible the AG could declare it unconstitutional and thus spare the governor the decision. I don't know much about TN law since I don't live there.
    rainbow1, mbh and Ann055 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'm not sure exactly sure how it works but I read one article that said the TN state attorney general was reviewing its constitutionality. The bill apparently doesn't go to the governor until after that review. It would seem that it is possible the AG could declare it unconstitutional and thus spare the governor the decision. I don't know much about TN law since I don't live there.
    Well according to the article you posted above, it says this week is the deadline???

but the bill will become law this week if Governor Haslam does not intervene.
    mbh likes this.

Concert Stars
    Bummer so it is likely going to be passed then. So disappointed.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Bummer so it is likely going to be passed then. So disappointed.
    NO BIG DEAL! ACLU and HUMANE SOCIETY'S "POWERFUL" lawyers will file a lawsuit ALL THE WAY TO THE "Supreme Court" ........ and it will be declared UNCONSTITIONAL based on the "FIRST AMENDMENT" of the Constitution. "THE BEST OF THE BEST" lawyers - Go FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!!!! What a WASTE, WASTE. WASTE of "TAX PAYER'S Money"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That money should go to the PEOPLE of "Tennessee", instead.

The ATTENTION is HUGE that "THE BEST OF THE BEST" lawyers will come out TO FIGHT!
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Agree. As soon as one animal rights advocate gets arrested under new law- it will be a big lawsuit all the way to Supreme Court.
    mbh likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Looks like the deadline is May 15.

?Ag gag? bill reaches Haslam?s desk | In Session
    mbh likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast