Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Shady TN LawMaker Sponsors AG Gag Bill After Taking Gifts From Farm Bureau(CU Mention

  1. #1
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,783
    Concert Stars

    Shady TN LawMaker Sponsors AG Gag Bill After Taking Gifts From Farm Bureau(CU Mention

    The plot thickens! Wow!


    Shady GOP TN Lawmaker Sponsors Ag Gag Bill After Taking Gifts from Farm Bureau http://www.politicususa.com/tn-gop-lawmaker-lost-twitter-war-carrie-underwood-loses-email-war-reality.html … via @politicusus

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan liz278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Concert Stars
    Great article! The person who wrote this really did their homework on him.

  • #3
    Carrie Guru Jade_kt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    21,348
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    The plot thickens! Wow!


    Shady GOP TN Lawmaker Sponsors Ag Gag Bill After Taking Gifts from Farm Bureau http://www.politicususa.com/tn-gop-lawmaker-lost-twitter-war-carrie-underwood-loses-email-war-reality.html … via @politicusus
    Nice read. The ending is particularly entertaining.
    Pi314CA, teesharky and mbh like this.

  • #4
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    haha omg love the ending!!
    mbh likes this.

  • #5
    Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,030
    Concert Stars
    I love that people are starting to expose this jerk! Great article!
    mbh, DizzyDollyDee and teesharky like this.

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    3,491
    Concert Stars
    Hopefully this will result in some changes - all sounds pretty fishy in Denmark to me!!
    mbh likes this.

  • #7
    sco
    sco is online now
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,130
    I wouldn't exactly call that a completely unbiased source but their facts appear to be sound. This is the most salient point in the entire article:
    "At the very least, lawmakers should avoid being in the position of having their integrity so easily questioned."

    Even if I give Holt the benefit of every doubt and assume that all of the goodies had absolutely nothing to do with trying to influence legislation an ethical lawmaker would have turned them down simply to avoid even a hint or a question of influence peddling. Dont even get me started on the rape comment there is absolutely no way to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. He just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper.

    In the interest of balance, here is a less opinionated article: Roy Exum: AgGag Sponsor Goes Ballistic - 04/28/2013 - Chattanoogan.com

  • #8
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,158
    Concert Stars
    Mr. Holt started a real Sh*t storm without even knowing it. He done picked the wrong folks to mess with. Careful for what you sew you shall also reap.
    mbh and Ann055 like this.

  • #9
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Smokyiiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    6,522
    Concert Stars
    He did it to himself though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mbh likes this.

  • #10
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,376
    Concert Stars
    When are we going to know the final outcome of this?

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,059
    Since the bill's already passed the legislature, it will automatically become law unless the Governor vetoes it (if he washes his hands of it and does nothing - which is what usually happens with contentious bills - it becomes law anyway. He only had ten days to decide, but I'm not sure when that started.). Apparently, Governor Haslam has only used a formal veto once (that was a case when he didn't think the legislature should interfere with the internal policy of a University).

    If the Governor does nothing, the new law may still be tested in the courts, and ruled unconstitutional (that is possible, if it is judged to interfere with free speech)
    teesharky, rainbow1 and mbh like this.

  • #12
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Sugarlandgirl4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,582
    What a read. And yes, the ending was particularly great :P

  • #13
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    1,828
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Since the bill's already passed the legislature, it will automatically become law unless the Governor vetoes it (if he washes his hands of it and does nothing - which is what usually happens with contentious bills - it becomes law anyway. He only had ten days to decide, but I'm not sure when that started.). Apparently, Governor Haslam has only used a formal veto once (that was a case when he didn't think the legislature should interfere with the internal policy of a University).

    If the Governor does nothing, the new law may still be tested in the courts, and ruled unconstitutional (that is possible, if it is judged to interfere with free speech)
    That and freedom of the press. The courts take a very dim view of any law that has a chilling effect on freedom of the press. There is no compelling state interest in this law that can't be satisfied in a less intrusive manner so if any press that gets fined will take this all the way up. Further, most big news outlets will not disclose their sources even if there is no press shield law.
    mbh likes this.

  • #14
    mbh
    mbh is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    That and freedom of the press. The courts take a very dim view of any law that has a chilling effect on freedom of the press. There is no compelling state interest in this law that can't be satisfied in a less intrusive manner so if any press that gets fined will take this all the way up. Further, most big news outlets will not disclose their sources even if there is no press shield law.
    This bill, when it becomes a law is a WASTE of TAX PAYER'S MONEY! ACLU and HUMANE SOCIETY have powerful lawyers like you, "Schrodinger". They will file a lawsuit ALL THE WAY TO THE "SUPREME COURT". And it will be declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL based on the FIRST AMENDMENT of the "Bill of Rights". Andy Holt do not care about that WASTE OF MONEY that can be spent FOR THE PEOPLE of Tennessee instead. I am not a lawyer, though. I just based it on HISTORY!
    teesharky likes this.

  • #15
    sco
    sco is online now
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Since the bill's already passed the legislature, it will automatically become law unless the Governor vetoes it (if he washes his hands of it and does nothing - which is what usually happens with contentious bills - it becomes law anyway. He only had ten days to decide, but I'm not sure when that started.). Apparently, Governor Haslam has only used a formal veto once (that was a case when he didn't think the legislature should interfere with the internal policy of a University).

    If the Governor does nothing, the new law may still be tested in the courts, and ruled unconstitutional (that is possible, if it is judged to interfere with free speech)
    I'm not sure exactly sure how it works but I read one article that said the TN state attorney general was reviewing its constitutionality. The bill apparently doesn't go to the governor until after that review. It would seem that it is possible the AG could declare it unconstitutional and thus spare the governor the decision. I don't know much about TN law since I don't live there.
    rainbow1, mbh and Ann055 like this.

  • #16
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'm not sure exactly sure how it works but I read one article that said the TN state attorney general was reviewing its constitutionality. The bill apparently doesn't go to the governor until after that review. It would seem that it is possible the AG could declare it unconstitutional and thus spare the governor the decision. I don't know much about TN law since I don't live there.
    Well according to the article you posted above, it says this week is the deadline???

    but the bill will become law this week if Governor Haslam does not intervene.
    mbh likes this.

  • #17
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,783
    Concert Stars
    Bummer so it is likely going to be passed then. So disappointed.

  • #18
    mbh
    mbh is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Bummer so it is likely going to be passed then. So disappointed.
    NO BIG DEAL! ACLU and HUMANE SOCIETY'S "POWERFUL" lawyers will file a lawsuit ALL THE WAY TO THE "Supreme Court" ........ and it will be declared UNCONSTITIONAL based on the "FIRST AMENDMENT" of the Constitution. "THE BEST OF THE BEST" lawyers - Go FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!!!! What a WASTE, WASTE. WASTE of "TAX PAYER'S Money"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That money should go to the PEOPLE of "Tennessee", instead.

    The ATTENTION is HUGE that "THE BEST OF THE BEST" lawyers will come out TO FIGHT!
    teesharky likes this.

  • #19
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,783
    Concert Stars
    Agree. As soon as one animal rights advocate gets arrested under new law- it will be a big lawsuit all the way to Supreme Court.
    mbh likes this.

  • #20
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,581
    Looks like the deadline is May 15.

    ?Ag gag? bill reaches Haslam?s desk | In Session
    mbh likes this.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 8
      Last Post: 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
    2. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-20-2013, 09:19 PM
    3. Carrie Underwood vs. the FARM – The Showdown
      By Suellen in forum Carrie Underwood Voting Threads
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
    4. Carrie taking over CMT
      By jonas_underwood_fan in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM
    5. Bill Anderson Celebrates 50 Years at the Opry (Carrie mention)
      By CarrieUK in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 07-17-2011, 07:16 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •