• 4 Post By sco
  • 4 Post By gocountrymusic
  • 5 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 3 Post By carebear4eva
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 1 Post By robinannhunt
  • 2 Post By carebear4eva
  • 2 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: Nashville Gab: Carrie Underwood is Getting The Dixie Chicks Treatment: Shut Up & Sing

Concert Stars

Nashville Gab: Carrie Underwood is Getting The Dixie Chicks Treatment: Shut Up & Sing

Great article by Jason--- including an important quote from Carrie herself that should shut up the haters about her stance on rodeos and hunting, etc. Carrie Underwood is Getting the Dixie Chicks Treatment: Shut Up and Sing http://bit.ly/10tRn4j

Concert Stars
    The article is great, Jason!!

Concert Stars
    you know the title of this is the first thing I thought of when I heard them say that to her!
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    when Carrie believes in a cause she will stand up to anybody!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yeah Carrie sticks to her guns when it comes to animal rights we all know that

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The title of the article is misleading. Carrie is hardly getting the Dixie Chicks treatment. Sorry, but Carrie being told by one politician and some people on the internet to "shut up and sing" isn't the same as having one's entire life destroyed by a simple statement. I also don't think treachery was the right word choice in the second to last paragraph.
    Other than that, it is a good article on the topic.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Overall it is a pretty good article but he is getting perilously close to falling into the tabloid habit of trying to make the headline juicy, even if that makes it misleading. He had another article with the headline 'Carrie Underwood admits to fights with husband' which was basically a cut and paste of the Taste of Country article but once again the headline was misleading. (she specifically said they don't 'fight' they disagree like everybody but they talk it out).

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    This was nowhere near on the level of the Dixie Chicks incident. They were completely shunned from country music. DJ's refused (or were pressured not to) play their music and their CD's were thrown in the streets, not to mention the death threats that followed. I don't know. I just do not think the two events can be compared. Carrie is just getting flack from opposing politicians. I enjoyed the reading though for the most part.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Good article, but I don't think this is comparable to the Dixie Chicks situation at all.

Carrie is being criticized by one politician, but everyone else is coming out in droves to support her.

This guy is just trying to ruffle some feathers, and is spineless to defend his own opinion, despite the backlash. IMO, he's nothing more than a cowardly jerk.

Yeah, I'm not happy that people keep saying Carrie's being "Dixie Chick'd". It's been, what, 5 days since Carrie started earnestly tweeting her opposition? In 5 days, the Dixie Chicks song Landslide fell from #10 to #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 before falling off the chart all together. It's been over two weeks since Carrie first tweeted her opposition to the AgGag Bill. 2 weeks after her comments, Travellin' Soldier fell from the TOP SPOT on the Country Airplay Chart to off the chart entirely. What followed was CD burnings, "F*ck the Dixie Chicks" parties, radio boycotts, "Come bulldoze your Chicks CDs", concert walkouts, poor ticket sales, a comment by the President himself and finally, that horrible death threat. Their careers ended and their lives were forever altered, both because they no longer had careers and because I imagine reading "Natalie Maines will be shot dead, June 14th in Texas" can be pretty scarring.

Carrie's had some sad blogger pout because their feelings were hurt and a stray comment on Facebook (and of course, the one moronic Senator). She's also had an outpouring of support from her fans, the industry and her fellow singers in particular. Not ONE person dared stand up for my Chicks. NOT ONE. Where was Wynonna then? Martina? Faith? REBA herself? The man don't get a free pass here : Where were all the country stars back then, many of whom are still topping charts today. Shame on all of them, irreparable shame indeed!

It's nowhere near the same thing; to compare the two both belittles the horror that my beloved Chicks went through AND creates an unnecessary aura of fear and repression that simply doesn't exist in this case. What happened to the Chicks was a great shame for Nashville in particular and America in general; it surprises me immensely that people are jumping to make it seem like it's happening again when it simply ISN'T.

Concert Stars
    ^ You raise a good point. I think for me, the similarities were just in what the Bill sponsor said: Stick to singing Carrie...and leave politics to me. That is exactly what alot of people said to the Chicks-- shut up and sing! No one cares about your political views. So I see the similarities for sure-- but I do see your point.

The Chicks did get widespread verbal abuse and cd burning, death threats, etc. It was really bad.
    carebear4eva likes this.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Good article Jason.

I think the point is that Carrie has an opinion and is not afraid to say it. The point for us is to understand that she is just one person and that it shouldn't be our own opinion. I look at all these actors that think their opinion is the only opinion and their fans make it their own simply on the basis that their idol has said it.
    oldyfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ You raise a good point. I think for me, the similarities were just in what the Bill sponsor said: Stick to singing Carrie...and leave politics to me. That is exactly what alot of people said to the Chicks-- shut up and sing! No one cares about your political views. So I see the similarities for sure-- but I do see your point.

The Chicks did get widespread verbal abuse and cd burning, death threats, etc. It was really bad.
    Yeah, no, don't get me wrong - The comparisons don't SURPRISE me. Top female country act at the time expresses unpopular view in Southern heartland and gets told "Stick to the singing, you're too dumb to form an opinion on anything else". The similarities are right there! (Ditto for the 'backlash' Carrie got when expressing her support for marriage equality last year).

The Chicks were just ANOTHER level, though.
    Carrieflattsfan and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Yeah, I'm not happy that people keep saying Carrie's being "Dixie Chick'd". It's been, what, 5 days since Carrie started earnestly tweeting her opposition? In 5 days, the Dixie Chicks song Landslide fell from #10 to #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 before falling off the chart all together. It's been over two weeks since Carrie first tweeted her opposition to the AgGag Bill. 2 weeks after her comments, Travellin' Soldier fell from the TOP SPOT on the Country Airplay Chart to off the chart entirely. What followed was CD burnings, "F*ck the Dixie Chicks" parties, radio boycotts, "Come bulldoze your Chicks CDs", concert walkouts, poor ticket sales, a comment by the President himself and finally, that horrible death threat. Their careers ended and their lives were forever altered, both because they no longer had careers and because I imagine reading "Natalie Maines will be shot dead, June 14th in Texas" can be pretty scarring.

Carrie's had some sad blogger pout because their feelings were hurt and a stray comment on Facebook (and of course, the one moronic Senator). She's also had an outpouring of support from her fans, the industry and her fellow singers in particular. Not ONE person dared stand up for my Chicks. NOT ONE. Where was Wynonna then? Martina? Faith? REBA herself? The man don't get a free pass here : Where were all the country stars back then, many of whom are still topping charts today. Shame on all of them, irreparable shame indeed!

It's nowhere near the same thing; to compare the two both belittles the horror that my beloved Chicks went through AND creates an unnecessary aura of fear and repression that simply doesn't exist in this case. What happened to the Chicks was a great shame for Nashville in particular and America in general; it surprises me immensely that people are jumping to make it seem like it's happening again when it simply ISN'T.
    100% agree with all of this; I do see similarities, too, though.

Honestly, I adore DC, but I think the reaction was caused by a multitude of issues; IMO, it had to do with the timing, the place, and the audience. People were still processing the fact that we had just gone to war, and emotions were especially high. Mix that with the fact that political opinions were more divided than ever at the time, and people were probably just expecting Natalie to...well, shut up and sing. There's a time and place for political statements, and I think Natalie's remarks were made at the wrong place during an even worse time.

Add in the fact that when word got back to the US even more people were outraged, and you've got yourself serious problems already. But because of the reaction, DC kept getting more press, which caused Natalie to keep talking, which probably made a sore spot even worse. IMO, she had every to say what she did, but she disowned country music and her attitude probably turned more people off to her. Country music fans are EXTREMELY loyal, and I doubt that they would stand for anyone bad mouthing the genre. Granted, she said what she did BECAUSE of country music fans, but her reaction just added fuel to the fire.

Carrie's receiving backlash from one man who's acting like he's above it all, and he's being ripped to shreds for it. IMO, one little Twitter exchange isn't going to cost Carrie any fans, and if it does, they probably weren't fans in the first place. To even compare this incident with that of DC's is reaching a bit.

Carrie is probably smart to keep her mouth shut about political issues; discussing them turns a lot of people off. But, I don't think Carrie's statement was politically motivated at all, because she's taking a stand on something that's important to her. This guy is just an arrogant ass who's afraid to defend his comments now because he knows he was 100% wrong.
    rainbow1 and gran29 like this.

•