Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood Appeals to Haslam to Veto Animal Abuse Bill

Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood Appeals to Haslam to Veto Animal Abuse Bill

Carrie Underwood appeals to Haslam to veto animal abuse bill

Posted: Apr 19, 2013 6:39 PM EDT Updated: Apr 19, 2013 6:53 PM EDT Posted by Kevin Young - email

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV-AP) - A popular country music artist is joining animal rights groups in calling on Gov. Bill Haslam to veto a controversial bill that would require anyone recording images of animal abuse to submit unedited footage or photos to law enforcement within 48 hours.
    The bill's House sponsor says animal safety is their top priority.
    "I think what we need to do is make sure and recognize that if animals are being abused it needs to come to justice, and it needs to come to justice quickly," said State Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dresden. "And that's the intention of this bill, bar none. No matter what anybody tells you. That's the intention of this legislation."
    However, critics of the Livestock Cruelty Prevention Act say the bill's short reporting deadline would result in short, incomplete investigations and say the bill discourages would-be whistleblowers from coming forward out of fear of prosecution.
    The ASPCA, the Humane Society of the United States and Mercy for Animals have all appealed to Haslam to veto the bill - as has country music artist Carrie Underwood.
    Underwood posted a message Thursday to her nearly 1.5 million Twitter followers:
    "Shame on TN lawmakers for passing the Ag Gag bill. If Gov. Bill Haslam signs this, he needs to expect me at his front door. Who's with me?"
    That didn't sit well with Holt, who contends the sooner any abuse is reported, the sooner an investigation can begin.

"I would say that Carrie Underwood will stick to singing, I'll stick to lawmaking," Holt said.

The Humane Society in 2011 secretly filmed video inside a West Tennessee training stable, showing caustic substances being applied to Tennessee Walking Horses' legs and hooves and the animals being beaten to make them stand. Trainer Jackie McConnell pleaded guilty in federal court in September.
    To view a summary of the Livestock Cruelty Prevention Act, visit: Bill Summary.

Concert Stars
    AdamJ, rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

Carrie better drag!

Concert Stars
    His ignorance reminds me of the whole Shut up and sing thing. Only this time, Carrie is not out of line or offensive like what the Dixie Chicks said.. yet she is being dismissed and belittled and told to shut up and sing. Hate this guy!

David M. Cook, Esq. ‏@DCookLaw 9m After dismissing @carrieunderwood for having an opinion, TN Rep. Andy Holt has me a bit PO'd. AgGag = BAD POLICY. #NoAgGag @BillHaslam
    AdamJ and liveasong like this.

Concert Stars
    rainbow1, Burst and liveasong like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I coudl end up being totally wrong here but I have to believe that the governor intends to sign the bill. Since the governor is of the same party as the majority of the legislature who sent him the bill if he didn't want to sign the bill he would have told the legislature not to pass the bill in the first place.
    Now, if this gets enough publicity he may be forced to change his mind.... I'm just not sure an issue like this is big enough to cause mass outrage and that's what is needed to get the governor not to sign the bill.

Concert Stars
    His reply to Carrie just points out how some of those who attain positions in government think they are entitled and forget that they are working for and paid by tax paying citizens . He should apologize to her.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    His reply to Carrie just points out how some of those who attain positions in government think they are entitled and forget that they are working for and paid by tax paying citizens . He should apologize to her.
    exactly!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Which is your favorite song from the following that you think that it deserves to be the fifth official single ?

Do you think about me
    VS
    Good in goodbye
    VS
    Wine after whiskey
    VS
    Cupids got a shotgun

Vote in this link:

http://www.carriefans.com/forums/blo...ot-shotgu.html (Do you think about me VS Good in goodbye VS Wine after whiskey VS Cupids got a shotgu)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Rep. Holt may claim that he's "sticking to lawmaking", but he's conveniently glossing over the fact that this Bill (and similar ones in nine other states) has been drafted closely following guidelines drawn up by a lobbying group representing corporate business interests. This group has frequently recommended legislative approaches that favour minimizing controls over business practices in areas like health and safety, environmental protection, anti-discrimination, chemical additives - as well as animal protection.

Carrie is a Tennessee resident, presumably a registered voter, pays State taxes, employs other State residents, and brings business, finance, visitors and publicity to the State. She has just as much right to lobby her representatives as the group that promoted this bill.
    epicamends, teesharky, gna and 5 others like this.

Concert Stars
    this makes me mad..he is so mean!!

Concert Stars
    Tony Kanal ‏@TonyKanal 8h .@NathanRunkle & @MercyForAnimals explain AgGag's true goal: hide horrific animal abuse from the public http://bit.ly/XM8TNl #StopAgGag

He is the bassist for No Doubt and Carrie is following him now.
    mbh, rainbow1 and Suellen like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie admirer View Post
    Which is your favorite song from the following that you think that it deserves to be the fifth official single ?

Do you think about me
    VS
    Good in goodbye
    VS
    Wine after whiskey
    VS
    Cupids got a shotgun

Vote in this link:

http://www.carriefans.com/forums/blo...ot-shotgu.html (Do you think about me VS Good in goodbye VS Wine after whiskey VS Cupids got a shotgu)
    Please DO NOT post this in SO MANY threads!!! Have this all over the forum is very annoying.

Response will come as people read it and desire to respond.
    Marie2011 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    This bill is up for vote, etc. in many states. It is really troubling that more people are not on the bandwagon to stop it from passing. Kudos to Carrie for standing up for her rights as a tax paying, voting citizen. The bill will prohibit free press, actually promote more abuse and it is very disturbing that the food coming from these places can be tainted and cause serious illness or death. It is not the small farmer ---but the corporate farmers that we have to worry about. I am angry that the politician took the stance telling Carrie to sing ---unfortunately that is the way most politicians feel any more. They only listen to the masses that protest and then they "talk" (or come up with a lot of excuses) their way out of most situations. The Governor in Tennessee does not have to sign the bill--he can just ignore it and it will automatically pass as both the house and senate passed it (by a short margin) (he can stop it from passing by vetoing it). We vote them in office---and then they forget us.....
    rainbow1 and mbh like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    There are actually plenty of people arguing against the bills and many of them are not approaching it from an animal rights standpoint. It s also a first amendment issue. One TN newspaper vowed to ignore it as it is a clear violation of freedom of the press. Here's another article: 'Ag-gag' bills harm free speech: Column

It's pretty telling that the bills sponsors claim it is an attempt to protect animals by requiring immediate reporting but one of them introduced another bill earlier that would have outlawed undercover videotaping altogether. I smell a rat. I suspect that if it becomes law organizations like the Human Society will simply ignore it, go ahead and document the abuse, then report it to the authorities and defy them to prosecute for waiting.
    epicamends and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    A similar bill is up for passage in Arkansas & there are many fighting against it here as well. Good for Carrie.
    mbh, pgk and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    There are actually plenty of people arguing against the bills and many of them are not approaching it from an animal rights standpoint. It s also a first amendment issue. One TN newspaper vowed to ignore it as it is a clear violation of freedom of the press. Here's another article: 'Ag-gag' bills harm free speech: Column

It's pretty telling that the bills sponsors claim it is an attempt to protect animals by requiring immediate reporting but one of them introduced another bill earlier that would have outlawed undercover videotaping altogether. I smell a rat. I suspect that if it becomes law organizations like the Human Society will simply ignore it, go ahead and document the abuse, then report it to the authorities and defy them to prosecute for waiting.

Agree. Maybe if a few activists get arrested under newlaw-- they csn challenge statute's constitutionality all the way to Supreme Court and gain more attention to issue.

Concert Stars
    Carrie Underwood Denounces Tennessee "Ag Gag" Bill, Fights Back Against Bill Co-Sponsor | American Idol, Carrie Underwood | mjsbigblog

I loved what one person commented on here:

"I agree with both sides. However, I will say that the tweet that Andy Holt sent about Carrie was so uncalled for. Kudos to Carrie for keeping calm. I would’ve climbed through the computer screen and smack him"

And another comment that I liked:

http://twitter.com/bentley1530 Bentley1530

"This Ag gag bills which have been proposed in several states seem so un-American to me. And I hate when any politician or pundit says an artist or athlete should shut up and sing or shut up and play ball as if they no longer had the rights of any American to speak their mind or fight for what they believe in. Also with most stars worried about backlash from the public and their corporate partners, I applaud anyone of them who speaks out even if I disagree with their position so go Carrie."
    rainbow1 likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    ^^^
    Its nice to see people standing up for her right to speak out. It makes absolutely for them to say they agree with both sides. There are two sides to all issues and I'm sure there has been some grandstanding by advocates. However there are already laws against libel and slander. There is no doubt that the impetus for all of these ag gag laws is the agriculture industry lobby and they are designed to protect the industry not the animals. Holt introduced a bill earlier that would have made it illegal to go undercover. How would that have protected the animals? This law also applies only to livestock. If their concern is the animals why does it not apply to all animals?
    teesharky likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Agree. Maybe if a few activists get arrested under newlaw-- they csn challenge statute's constitutionality all the way to Supreme Court and gain more attention to issue.
    Besides the substantive issues the bill is trying to stop - evidence of cruelty, food safety, sexual harassment & illegal attempts to quash unions, the bill has a chilling effect on free speech & press and will be ruled unconstitutional.

As l understand it, the bill would make it illegal for a reporter to film an Ag business activity even if the act was in plain sight & filming took place off the premises State legislatures suffer from so much arrogance & ignorance they make easy targets for trade group lobbies. When the DMCA bills were being pushed to states a few enacted the proposed law from the RRIA whole cloth. It became a joke in the tech community because the language made NAT illegal. NAT is the basic firewall and function that makes all routers work. After the law was enacted it made all home, business & govt routers illegal & every time a packet was routed - thousands of times a second - a separate violation.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    teesharky and mbh like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast