• 4 Post By teesharky
  • 1 Post By cole

Thread: Carrie Underwood Begs Governor to Veto 'Ag Gag' Bill

Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood Begs Governor to Veto 'Ag Gag' Bill

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Politics Carrie Underwood Begs Governor to Veto 'Ag Gag' Bill

Posted by Jeff Woods on Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Carrie Underwood is tweeting her outrage at the legislature's adoption of the "ag gag" bill, which would curtail prosecutions of animal cruelty at factory farms and slaughterhouses, and the country superstar is imploring Gov. Bill Haslam to veto the bill. "I'm begging you," Underwood tweets.
    The bill makes it a crime to videotape animal cruelty or abuse and then fail to turn in the evidence to authorities within 48 hours. That's to stop animal rights activists from accumulating enough documentation to prove that animal cruelty is routine in big agribusiness. Under this bill, farmers can claim the abuse is a one-time occurrence and proceed with their business as usual. This bill also would have stopped the Humane Society from compiling evidence of soring in the walking horse industry and tipped off trainers to the organization's investigation.

The bill comes from the agribusiness industry via the American Legislative Exchange Council, the right-wing front for corporate-written legislation. "Ag gag" bills were introduced in 10 states this year, according to the Humane Society. It's a good candidate for a veto from Haslam. Earlier this week, we asked the governor about it and he said he hadn't given it any thought yet. But that was before the legislature debated it.
    The House passed the bill last night but only with the bare minimum 50 votes. The Senate adopted it on Tuesday.
    Update: His press secretary, David Smith, isn't giving any clues as to what the governor might do. "He’ll review it, like he does all bills, when it gets to his desk," Smith says.
    opry051008, Mirasa45A and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    This story is moving fast. Good to see Carrie's celebrity status is still up there. lol.

Concert Stars
    so cool this is getting so much news!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    so cool this is getting so much news!
    Carrie is in the spotlight again.

rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

Concert Stars

There is a "hater" on there already. I disagreed with most of the comments by this person.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Taylor Swift troll.

Concert Stars
    ^^I agree, but what is with this person saying that Carrie doesn't tweet her own stuff that she has a staff to do it
    And the "Carrie didn't even say a prayer for Boston, she tweeted a pic of the pony. Boy this person sure keeps track of Carrie

Concert Stars
    One of my radio stations has also put the article on their website

THE WOLF Sacramento » Carrie Underwood Sounds Off About Tennessee ?Ag Gag? Bill

Carrie Underwood Sounds Off About Tennessee ‘Ag Gag’ Bill
    rainbow1, opry051008 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    ^^I agree, but what is with this person saying that Carrie doesn't tweet her own stuff that she has a staff to do it
    And the "Carrie didn't even say a prayer for Boston, she tweeted a pic of the pony. Boy this person sure keeps track of Carrie
    That must have been the infamous HAz-Bin psycho. He is a rabid Taylor Swift troll who trashes Carrie on every site, every article, every video, etc-- before any of us Carrie fans even know about the articles. He has about 10 fake accounts on every site, and uses fake names-- but the same IP address, so he can make it appear that everyone agrees with him. He is a sick, evil, twisted jerk, and he needs serious help.

Only Haz Bin Taylor Tard troll would notice that Carrie re-tweeted things about Boston instead of doing her own tweets. Does it really matter??>?

Tonight, Carrie tweeted on all subjects, Texas and Boston etc-- so the Haz Bin jerk can suck it. He is truly evil.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I don't like it when celebs comment on politics - even when I agree with them. The first article sounded like they were disagreeing on semantics - this one makes it sounds like complete opposites. Both seem to have their bias. I wonder where the truth lies? IMO - it usually lies somewhere in between. But if Carrie is going to take a stand on something political you know it will be for animals.

Carrie Guru
    WOW, Carrie is very passionate about her love for animal. Good for her.

Concert Stars
    This is one of the reasons I love her so much! Her passion for animals! I feel the same...

Concert Stars
    Gosh, I'm praying this bill does not get passed. I will never understand why people treat animals the way they do.

Concert Stars
    Guys, please sign this petition to criminalize Ag Gag bills!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...SvsKr#AgGagBad

We need a lot more signatures!
    opry051008 likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by utlovescarrie View Post
    I don't like it when celebs comment on politics - even when I agree with them. The first article sounded like they were disagreeing on semantics - this one makes it sounds like complete opposites. Both seem to have their bias. I wonder where the truth lies? IMO - it usually lies somewhere in between. But if Carrie is going to take a stand on something political you know it will be for animals.
    The issue has to do with a lot more than animals. It touches on consumer protection, freedom of speech and freedom of the press. I don't know exactly how the TN law is written and since I don't live in TN I don't have a stake in this particular law. From what I understand, animal rights groups have been going undercover and videotaping treatment of animals in some industries and publicizing what they consider to be abuse. There have been criminal charges filed in some cases. There has been backlash from the industry who feel that posting videotapes is unfair as what they consider to be standard practices may 'appear' to be cruel. (I don't necessarily agree with them I'm just stating their side of the argument). That has resulted on efforts to control the videotaping. The TN law apparently requires groups to turn over the tapes to authorities within 48 hours. The animal rights groups argue that limits their ability to conduct investigations and build a case. Keep in mind also that this same law would presumably apply to journalists who routinely conduct similar investigations. What I don't know is if turning them over to authorities prohibits them from doing anything else with them. If it prohibits them from using them in a story or posting them for publicity (which I suspect it does but i have not researched) then in my mind it is a clear violation of freedom of speech and the press.

Here's another opinion if anybody is interested:

'Ag-gag' bills harm free speech: Column
    Last edited by sco; 04-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Signed

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by utlovescarrie View Post

I am not a vegetarian but when you see how chickens, cows and pigs are treated at the corporate farms, I really feel like becoming one. The stuff I have seen makes it hard to eat chickens - they are crammed into cages and sometimes there are dead chickens in there for days. California passed a proposition that makes it illegal for corporate farms to do this. But what Carrie is standing up for is not only for the animals but for us as consumers also. I want to know that the meat I eat is good for me to eat. I would like to know what lobby group got this law through because I am pretty sure that it was corporate farmers.

•