• 1 Post By Countrygirl64
  • 1 Post By cmarieu
  • 3 Post By epicamends
  • 9 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: Carrie Underwood and Celine Dion's 'Alone' covers 'cool, but not rock'

xor

Carrie Underwood and Celine Dion's 'Alone' covers 'cool, but not rock'

Ann and Nancy Wilson, alias Heart, always are interested when TV music-competition entrants attempt their songs.

Being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Thursday, April 18 -- with HBO then televising the ceremony Saturday, May 18 -- the sibling music veterans are very aware of contestants on such shows as FOX's "American Idol" and NBC's "The Voice" often making use of classic Heart songs.

"'Alone' has been done by people like Carrie Underwood," Nancy Wilson tells Zap2it, "and it's a really interesting thing. Rock and roll has a way that it feels like rock and roll, but when Celine Dion did 'Alone,' it turned into something completely different. Whenever we've heard other people sing Heart songs, it's usually not rock. It's cool, but it's not rock."

Indeed, covers of Heart tunes aren't limited to amateur singers. "I've heard a lot of people do 'Barracuda' in different ways," Ann says, "and there have been a few 'Crazy on You's." Nancy adds such songs "are not easy to sing, The playing field is pretty narrow by the time somebody tries any of those, but there have been a few brave people."

Read more at site: ?American Idol?s? Carrie Underwood and Celine Dion?s ?Alone? covers ?cool, but not rock? according to Heart sisters - Zap2it

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Nice they mentioned her first.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Ann and Nancy come across so arrogant. They should be grateful that anybody from this generation would remember them enough to sing their songs. Most artists are delighted that others do covers of their songs. Female rockers died out in the 80's girls.
    jaylee50 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirl64 View Post
    Ann and Nancy come across so arrogant. They should be grateful that anybody from this generation would remember them enough to sing their songs. Most artists are delighted that others do covers of their songs. Female rockers died out in the 80's girls.
    Interesting comments from them, especially since Carrie PERFORMED that song with them all those years ago. Did dang good, too. Yea, they definitely come across as arrogant - their heyday was decades ago. They definitely should be grateful there are people out there keeping their songs alive.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Neat that they mentioned Carrie first.

I got the impression that they think it's cool that other artists have covered their songs, but just that they are vastly different from Heart's original version.

Carrie is a country artist, Celine is pop, and Heart is rock; of course they're going to have different approaches to the song. Any artist SHOULD bring their own style to a cover song, and I think Carrie accomplishes that particularly well.

A lot of older artists complain about younger artists covering their songs, so I'm glad that Heart at least complimented Carrie.

Edit: The comments on artists covering Barracuda/Crazy On You did come across as arrogant, though. Nancy basically seems to be saying "These are tough songs to sing, but you're brave if you try to touch them." Yeah, maybe, but I'm sure you're original is good enough. .

I love this version Alone - Heart ft. Carrie Underwood

jaylee50 likes this.

I think Carrie's version of "Alone" is pretty rock. Maybe with a slight country tinge to it, but she sticks pretty darn close to the original (as she tends to with most covers).

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    But I didn't hear her say anything specific about Carrie other than the fact that Carrie covered the song.. Heart specifically mentions Celine and her version not Carrie.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think that what they're saying is that it's a really interesting thing when Carrie does it, because she preserves the feel of it as a [Progressive] Rock 'n' Roll song. That would be consistent with what they've said in the past - she's one of the few cover artists they've praised.
    If you look at a Carrie version you can see that she preserves the mood of the song, alternating the less traditional elements, such as the ticking clock motif and Nancy Wilson's high vocals, with the raw energy of a Roick song, accompanied by strong guitar riffs from her band

If you compare it with Celine Dion's version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvdjxQlJfA
    the music is more orchestral in feel, and her vocal is more polished and reminiscent of a concert stage. Dion may be a superb singer, but I think she's not attempting to be a Rock singer - that is why the song appears something different.
    Carrie has a natural feel for Rock music and can combine an impressive vocal with an interpretarion of the music that I feel is truer to its roots.
    jaylee50, pgk, epicamends and 6 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Carrie's version is amazing...I don't care what anyone says!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I think that what they're saying is that it's a really interesting thing when Carrie does it, because she preserves the feel of it as a [Progressive] Rock 'n' Roll song. That would be consistent with what they've said in the past - she's one of the few cover artists they've praised.
    If you look at a Carrie version you can see that she preserves the mood of the song, alternating the less traditional elements, such as the ticking clock motif and Nancy Wilson's high vocals, with the raw energy of a Roick song, accompanied by strong guitar riffs from her band

If you compare it with Celine Dion's version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvdjxQlJfA
    the music is more orchestral in feel, and her vocal is more polished and reminiscent of a concert stage. Dion may be a superb singer, but I think she's not attempting to be a Rock singer - that is why the song appears something different.
    Carrie has a natural feel for Rock music and can combine an impressive vocal with an interpretarion of the music that I feel is truer to its roots.
    You hit the nail on the head, as always, Faraway. You echoed my thoughts on Celine's version, too. Celine is a pop artist, and I think her version comes across as more polished and (dare I say) stiff. She's an excellent singer, but her version has no spirit of the original, and I can see where it falls flat.

As Jess already mentioned, Carrie tries to stay as true to the originals as possible when she sings covers, and it shows. She doesn't change up the arrangement or try to make it something it shouldn't be; I think her vocal performance reflects that, too. She still brings the grit and attitude, which is a tough thing to do, with respect to rock songs. I always hear a lot of people say things like, "Carrie sounds like a country singer," or she's making it sound "too country," and I have to disagree. The tone of a singers voice shouldn't automatically mean they 'fit' in a certain genre, and I think Carrie's one of the few that has the ability to sing anything and make it her own, while staying true to the original. She can't really win here, either. She doesn't have the tone of a rock vocalist, so her vocal will probably come out a bit softer and perhaps with less grit, unless she has injected some of that into the performance herself. However, she's still got the power, and she always seems to strike a balance of bringing her own flavor it and staying true to the original.

Carrie grew up on rock, though, and I can sorta see that influence in her when she performs any rock song. She almost becomes a completely different artist, and it's nice to see that she has vastly different influences.

•