Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By simonplay
  • 1 Post By DizzyDollyDee
  • 1 Post By MelissaD

Thread: Review: C2C Country Music Festival

Review: C2C Country Music Festival

Review: C2C Country Music Festival

Oh, you're going to make me cry," said LeAnn Rimes to the crowd at Sunday night's C2C event.

We had just given her a huge and warm ovation for a new song called Borrowed, all about the tumultuous relationship problems that saw her check into rehab with stress and anxiety last summer.

And then she really did cry when she explained how writing her new album had helped her to deal with that pain (she met her new husband Eddie Cibriani while they were both still married to other people and got a really hard time over it in the US media).

The waves of applause and love from Sunday night's crowd took her by surprise and led to a moving moment when we saw tears well up on the monitor screens and she tried her best to gulp back sobs.

But then her whole performance was astonishing. Though only third on the bill and with none of headliner Carrie Underwood's huge stage production, LeAnn Rimes stole this show on the pure emotion in her voice, one of the most powerful and affecting instruments in popular music. And one that seems undiminished by years of personal turmoil.

Although she has by far the biggest UK profile of Sunday's four American acts – thanks to a hit duet with Ronan Keating and a fondly recalled contribution to the movie Coyote Ugly – LeAnn's placing on the bill reflected the current pecking order in country music back home in the States.

Both headliner Carrie Underwood and second-on-the-bill Darius Rucker sell more records and T-shirts these days. But as a musical artist LeAnn Rimes is in a league of her own.

This new C2C (Country To Country) festival, the first in many years to tempt big US names away from the lucrative American touring circuit, is planned as an annual event to chip away at our prejudice against the very words "country music".

Despite the breakthrough hits of country-pop princess Taylor Swift and years of cult success by alt-country acts like Steve Earle and Ryan Adams, most non-believers can't see behind the stetsons and rhinestones of the past.

You could still spot one or two cowboy hats around the O2 on Sunday, but they were mostly on the heads of pretty young girls who could have been out on a hen night. And the stetson count on stage? Zero. The two male stars both wore baseball caps.

(OK, this was a two-day festival and Saturday night's headliner Tim McGraw has never been photographed WITHOUT a stetson, but we can let that pass).

Here's a run-down of Sunday's show, artist by artist.

CARRIE UNDERWOOD

No dancers, no costume changes and absolutely no lip-synching... but Carrie's performance had more in common with slickly produced spectaculars by pop acts like Madonna or Britney Spears than with most people's preconceptions of a country show.

In fact with her dramatic lighting, arty back projections, killer heels and a slinky black outfit showing off her sexy legs, she could be the one to follow in the dainty footsteps of Taylor Swift and score her own country-pop hits on this side of the Atlantic .

It helps that she's already known to many as the winner of American Idol in 2005, where our own Simon Cowell predicted with some accuracy that she would be a megastar. And when you consider that her best songs, such as Some Hearts and Good In Goodbye, are emotion-packed anthems full of killer hooks and giant choruses – just the kind of thing that goes down well on The X Factor in fact – it can only the negative vibe of that word "country" that's holding her back in Britain.

Or maybe it's song titles like Jesus Take The Wheel (which on Sunday morphed into the hymn How Great Thou Art) that don't go down well on these irreligious shores, even though when you sit down and listen it's a brilliant, original and thought-provoking number.

There was more than touch of Shania Twain in her upbeat watch-out-girls number Cowboy Casanova and the cod-reggae of new song One-Way Ticket had the whole stadium united in synchronised arm-waving.

Most of all, this was a SHOW, a big occasion with an energy level that never once faltered and a 30-year-old star with a great voice and commanding presence. It doesn't matter what kind of music you think you like, how could anyone not like this?

Compere for the whole weekend was the great veteran DJ Bob Harris, and he told the crowd: "You've all been part of a little bit of history. Let's hope this rolls and rolls and we have these wonderful Nashville artists here year after year from now on."

So will C2C be back again? The arena wasn't quite sold out and most of those present seemed to be fans who knew the words already. But at the end of the night Carrie Underwood urged the whole crowd to tell all their friends what a great time they had and maybe make a few country conversions.

At the risk of invoking religion again, amen to that...

C2C Country Music Festival review starring Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker, LeAnn Rimes and Brantley Gilbert - Brian Hancill - Mirror Online

Concert Stars
    good review...and of course Carrie wouldnt be lip synching!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I wonder about the comment regarding religion and I just have to wonder too about this paragraph:

In fact with her dramatic lighting, arty back projections, killer heels and a slinky black outfit showing off her sexy legs, she could be the one to follow in the dainty footsteps of Taylor Swift and score her own country-pop hits on this side of the Atlantic .

Also the writer loves LeeAnn.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ yeah the writer does.
    I wonder about the religion line too.Anyone there want tell first hand how HGTA went over?

ok review,not great ,not bad

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I picked up and didn't care for the "follow in the dainty footsteps" comment at all. Too bad he didn't notice who actually sings and who doesn't.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    I didn't particularly care for this review. He made her sound to poppy and all show even though he loved her voice. Way more about fashion than substance here.

Concert Stars
    It was a good review. Hated the Taylor comment-lol- but otherwise it was good.

In all fairness-- Carrie didn't exactly dress country yesterday. lol So his comments about her fashion were fair. But he loved her voice and had a good time, so that is a good review.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I took the line about TS to mean that Carrie could be following TS success in UK as a pop artist. He seems to imply that Carrie's stage settings, her appearance and to a great extent her music lend well to pop success abroad.

I think Leann's emotional breakdown grabbed the heart strings of the audience who responded with a standing ovation in a show of appreciation. This critic is definitely a Leann fan. And she may have stolen the spotlight for that portion of the show.

I thought his review of Carrie was very favourable . His comment about HGTA I thought referred to religious leanings of the crowd.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Hahaha, I'm sorry, but what a joke! It's clear that this reviewer gave Leann the edge simply because she has toured the UK several times before, and therefore has the larger following there for right now. But I looked up all of the songs from Leann's set - and while she IS a very good singer, she had nothing on Carrie's performance from that night. Carrie exhibited far superior vocal range, power, and dexterity. Leann's performance was nice, but it wasn't on the level of Carrie's. Carrie's songs require far greater vocal stamina and ability, and she was the CLEAR powerhouse on stage that night. Maybe they just liked the fact that Leann kept getting emotional and crying during her set.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Hahaha, I'm sorry, but what a joke! It's clear that this reviewer gave Leann the edge simply because she has toured the UK several times before, and therefore has the larger following there for right now. But I looked up all of the songs from Leann's set - and while she IS a very good singer, she had nothing on Carrie's performance from that night. Carrie exhibited far superior vocal range, power, and dexterity. Leann's performance was nice, but it wasn't on the level of Carrie's. Carrie's songs are far more challenging to sing, and she was the CLEAR powerhouse on stage that night. Maybe they just liked the fact that Leann kept getting emotional and crying during her set.
    Crying because it's the first time (in a long time) that she got to play in front of THAT many people? Awe. Flop. Bye girl.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    Crying because it's the first time (in a long time) that she got to play in front of THAT many people? Awe. Flop. Bye girl.
    liveasong likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Or crying because she was Carrie Underwood's opening act? #Diss

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    so much for all the leann bashing here. I just saw here a few weeks ago, and she has never sounded better;

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    so much for all the leann bashing here. I just saw here a few weeks ago, and she has never sounded better;
    I loved LeAnn when she first started out and even later on in her career. My problem with her music now is (as evidenced by that video you posted) if I didn't know the lyrics to the song already I'd wonder just what the heck she was singing because it's all so warbled anymore. And I hate that, because she used to be one of my favorites. Now...not so much.

I also really liked the video I saw of her singing Amazing Grace acapella at the festival, although she seemed to be singing "wrench" instead of "wretch" LOL.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    I like Leann. She has a phenomenal voice. Carrie's vocal did pack a lot more PUNCH than Leann's did at O2 though. That's all I was saying. But I guess they're two different styles of singing and some may have a stronger preference toward one than the other. The reviewer obviously prefers Leann's.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieChick View Post
    I loved LeAnn when she first started out and even later on in her career. My problem with her music now is (as evidenced by that video you posted) if I didn't know the lyrics to the song already I'd wonder just what the heck she was singing because it's all so warbled anymore. And I hate that, because she used to be one of my favorites. Now...not so much.

I also really liked the video I saw of her singing Amazing Grace acapella at the festival, although she seemed to be singing "wrench" instead of "wretch" LOL.
    Her diction does get stranger and stranger, I've noticed it as well. It's almost like she's swallowing the words?

•