• 3 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 1 Post By Daraebe
  • 1 Post By PRGuy79
  • 2 Post By cyberzoney
  • 1 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By desubear
  • 1 Post By pandy

Thread: Carrie Underwood, 'Sound of Music' Role to Honor Broadway Over Big Screen

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Carrie Underwood, 'Sound of Music' Role to Honor Broadway Over Big Screen

Carrie Underwood, 'Sound of Music' Role to Honor Broadway Over Big Screen - The Boot

Carrie Underwood is slated to portray Maria von Trapp in a live NBC broadcast of "The Sound of Music" this coming holiday season. This is a new venture for the singer, who has stayed mostly with music since winning Season 4 of "American Idol." Her only acting credentials so far are her small role in the movie "Soul Surfer," along with the various characters she has played in her many music videos.

"The whole experience will be amazing," Carrie says, her voice exuding excitement. "I love the movie, and I've always loved musicals. I have a huge respect for people singing live, genuinely talented people getting up and presenting themselves to the world.

"Marrying all that stuff -- being on TV, a live event and a musical -- bring things to a new generation and lets people really get an appreciation for big events like that and live music. I'm excited to be part of one of the greatest musicals of all time.

This particular production of "The Sound of Music" will be based on the original Broadway musical, and will be a three-hour live event that producers hope will offer a fresh take on the 1959 stage play combined with the "spontaneity" of a live performance. Performers will sing live with no allowances for lip-synching to recordings.

The original Broadway production, with music by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, starred Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel. It opened on November 16, 1959, and has since been recreated time and again on Broadway, through touring companies and in local productions. It is based on a true story from pre-World War II Austria, when a nun, Maria von Trapp, leaves the abbey to take care of widower Captain von Trapp's seven children, who all prove to be talented singers.

Julie Andrews portrayed the role of Maria in the 1965 movie version of the story, which co-starred Christopher Plummer. Among the songs from the musical are "Edelweiss," "My Favorite Things," "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," "Do-Re-Mi" and the title song. It was the last musical written by the famous duo, as Hammerstein died nine months after the show opened on Broadway.

Carrie says she would love to meet Julie Andrews, because she grew up listening to her. "I think the most important thing is to not try to copy her. We are doing the musical, not the movie version, so I think it would be important to not go the route of Julie Andrews. It's more important to me to read the script and get into the musical space and not the movie space of the production."

Carrie says she does not know who else will be starring in the musical with her, but says, "My mom wants to be a nun. She said she doesn't have to say anything, she just wants to be in it."

Before Carrie begins rehearsing for the live event, she continues her "Blown Away" tour this weekend, traveling to Las Vegas on March 2 and Ontario, Calif. on March 3.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Proud Mama wants to be a nun. Have to say she is expressing her wish to the right person. I think Carole will portray a nun. To be Carrie's mom must be so exhilerating. And we all know, we're all proud of Carrie, and can hardly wait to experience this musical event.

Concert Stars
    For some reasons, I am REALLY REALLY excited for this!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I love that Carole wants to be a nun. I hope she gets to share the stage with Carrie, even if only for a moment in a non-speaking or singing role.
    rainbow1, Pi314CA and HuiZ like this.

Concert Stars
    Sounds good! I find it odd that no one else has been cast yet though. If they wait much longer no big names will be available and they will be stuck with d list people. Hope they cast someone soon.
    desubear likes this.

Concert Stars
    so cant wait for this!

Concert Stars
    Can't wait for this. Did they really forget her role on HIMYM? lol

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Sounds good! I find it odd that no one else has been cast yet though. If they wait much longer no big names will be available and they will be stuck with d list people. Hope they cast someone soon.

They could very well have people casted and not announced things yet. Carrie may not know who is in the cast until close to rehearsals or later this year
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Carole Underwood as a nun! I love it. She has an angelic face, for sure. Carrie's mom would be perfect for this!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Many top rated actors would have interest in the main characters since it is something that could be a yearly holiday broadcast and could become a classic. There is not only the actor selection but the ever important monetary discussions. I think they already have actors who are interested and they are negotiating and narrowing the options based on character fit.
    rainbow1 and JB172 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberzoney View Post
    Many top rated actors would have interest in the main characters since it is something that could be a yearly holiday broadcast and could become a classic. There is not only the actor selection but the ever important monetary discussions. I think they already have actors who are interested and they are negotiating and narrowing the options based on character fit.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they already have people on board but just haven't said anything yet.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they already have people on board but just haven't said anything yet.
    I can't wait until the announce it. But at the same time I'm almost dreading it too, because guaranteed no matter who is chosen they won't be seen as "good enough" for everyone. lol

Concert Stars
    Could be just part of their PR strategy. They will probably 'leak' info sporadically to keep people interested.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraebe View Post
    They could very well have people casted and not announced things yet. Carrie may not know who is in the cast until close to rehearsals or later this year
    True. But the thing is, don't they sometimes make the two leads audition together to see if they have chemistry? Hugh Jackmann had to audition for 5 hours for Les Mis. lol He said he was exhausted when it was over.

Sometimes they have the lead (Carrie) go through lines with her love interest to see if they fit together on screen. So I thought for sure by now, they would have picked a Captain Von Trapp.

Junior Carrie Follower desubear's Avatar
    True. But the thing is, don't they sometimes make the two leads audition together to see if they have chemistry? Hugh Jackmann had to audition for 5 hours for Les Mis. lol He said he was exhausted when it was over.

Sometimes they have the lead (Carrie) go through lines with her love interest to see if they fit together on screen. So I thought for sure by now, they would have picked a Captain Von Trapp.
    lol. im new here and everything, but i can tell you worry a lot. I'm sure things are going fine with TSOM and I bet most of the cast has been assigned, and carrie was probably told not to reveal details to maintain public interest in the undertaking
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ ha ha yes I worry too much-- lol. But when it comes to SOM-- it is an excited happy type of worry-- not a bad or negative worry. I am just really excited about it and I am dying to hear some details of who she will perform with.

Concert Stars
    THREE HOURS of Carrie. What a treat.
    robinannhunt likes this.

•