Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By Manchs
  • 1 Post By liz278
  • 1 Post By sco

Thread: Music's Top 40 Money Makers 2013

Music's Top 40 Money Makers 2013

Billboard ranks the highest-paid musicians of the past 12 months.

16. Carrie Underwood

$11,942,956.65

Now a bona fide arena-level headliner, Underwood's career is clicking on all cylinders, topping 1 million in physical units and nearly 400,000 digital album sales and 5.5 million digital downloads.

Music's Top 40 Money Makers 2013 | Billboard
    12 million in 12 months? Hum, I'll take that. She's right behind Taylor Swift and Brad Paisley. Kenny Chesney was the top Country Artist.

Concert Stars
    so freaking awesome!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post

12 million in 12 months? Hum, I'll take that.
    i will too!

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    Billboard ranks the highest-paid musicians of the past 12 months.

12 million in 12 months? Hum, I'll take that. She's right behind Taylor Swift and Brad Paisley. Kenny Chesney was the top Country Artist.
    I'd take it as well but those numbers are undoubtedly gross not net. I'm a little confused how Forbes and Billboard got such different numbers but maybe Forbes was calculating a different time period. Either way she's undoubtedly made more now than she could ever spend in a lifetime (especially if you add in Mike's $4 million contract). She can just concentration the music.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'd take it as well but those numbers are undoubtedly gross not net. I'm a little confused how Forbes and Billboard got such different numbers but maybe Forbes was calculating a different time period. Either way she's undoubtedly made more now than she could ever spend in a lifetime (especially if you add in Mike's $4 million contract). She can just concentration the music.
    Yea, different time periods. Forbes was May 2011 to May 2012. BB is from Jan 2012 to Jan. 2013.

Junior Carrie Follower
    wait whaaaaat??? i thought it was from MAY-MAY, an i was betting on that carrie was gonna make it atleast top 10 cause of the release of BA was in MAY 2012 and the tour ended MAY 2013, oh well but hey she still making more money than any of us ever will (well if i dont make it in the buisness lmao jk )

Concert Stars
    What is really amazing is that Jason Aldean is #8!

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Does this take into account endorsements, and other performances outside her tour? No matter the time period, the discrepancy between Forbes estimate and this one is HUUUUUGEE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bs63093 View Post
    wait whaaaaat??? i thought it was from MAY-MAY, an i was betting on that carrie was gonna make it atleast top 10 cause of the release of BA was in MAY 2012 and the tour ended MAY 2013, oh well but hey she still making more money than any of us ever will (well if i dont make it in the buisness lmao jk )
    She could still do it when Forbes releases the May 2012-May 2013 list.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Does this take into account endorsements, and other performances outside her tour? No matter the time period, the discrepancy between Forbes estimate and this one is HUUUUUGEE!!!
    Of course the time period matters. Like Jason said, Forbes was from May 2011 to May 2012. Carrie basically had just Remind Me and Good Girl. Billboard was from January 2012 to January 2013. Carrie had Blown Away (album), Good Girl, Blown Away, a good part of TBC's chart run and the whole first leg of the Blown Away Tour. The time period DOES matter.

Concert Stars
    Not too shabby, indeed! Way to go Carrie!

If anybody deserves to make that much - she certainly does! And how nice to know that it is in good hands and will be spent/invested wisely.

Concert Stars
    ^^With her parents teaching her to spend wisely, etc. I am sure that she has learned to invest and give to charity because that is what her father & mother taught her. Plus I am sure that Mike is just as wise with money. I am also sure that we will never know (and I don't want to know) how much they give to charity.
    PRGuy79 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    2013 Money Makers Methodology

The data used to compile Moneymakers was supplied by Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen BDS, YouTube and Billboard Boxscore. Artists are ranked by U.S. earnings, and Billboard calculated a variety of income streams, including touring, recorded-music sales, publishing royalties and revenue from an array of digital music and video services for downloads, as well as on-demand and noninteractive streaming. Due to a lack of sufficient data, our figures don't include revenue from sponsorships, merchandise sales or synchronization data.

For album and track sales, we assumed a royalty rate of 20% of retail, minus producers' fees. We treated all streaming revenue as derived from a licensing deal and thus split that revenue in half to calculate the artist's take. We also applied corresponding statutory mechanical rates for album and track sales and the Copyright Royalty Board-approved formulas or rates used for the various streaming channels, and further estimated the share of songs written by the artists. For all artist revenue, we subtracted a manager's fee of 10%. For box office, we credited each artist with 34% of gross receipts, typically what's left after the promoter's fee, the artist manager's cut and other costs are subtracted.

The crazy thing is, this was actually not Madonna's highest-grossing tour, she earned even more money world-wide, she's sold "MDNA" with the tour so the cost of the tour is higher, she receives very little airplay, and the things that were not included on this (e.g. scent) would've put her at a way higher amount of money earned.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    2013 Money Makers Methodology

The data used to compile Moneymakers was supplied by Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen BDS, YouTube and Billboard Boxscore. Artists are ranked by U.S. earnings, and Billboard calculated a variety of income streams, including touring, recorded-music sales, publishing royalties and revenue from an array of digital music and video services for downloads, as well as on-demand and noninteractive streaming. Due to a lack of sufficient data, our figures don't include revenue from sponsorships, merchandise sales or synchronization data.

For album and track sales, we assumed a royalty rate of 20% of retail, minus producers' fees. We treated all streaming revenue as derived from a licensing deal and thus split that revenue in half to calculate the artist's take. We also applied corresponding statutory mechanical rates for album and track sales and the Copyright Royalty Board-approved formulas or rates used for the various streaming channels, and further estimated the share of songs written by the artists. For all artist revenue, we subtracted a manager's fee of 10%. For box office, we credited each artist with 34% of gross receipts, typically what's left after the promoter's fee, the artist manager's cut and other costs are subtracted.
    Thanks for that info. I was curious what the artist take typically is for tour revenue. 34% sounds like a reasonable estimate. I was guessing that expenses were at least 50%. I'm sure there are some tours with higher expenses than others. Carrie probably has fairly high expenses but probably not much higher than average.

Concert Stars
    All of Carrie's private parties and concerts aren't included in this either....and I read on Twitter, for instance, that The Voice isn't included in Blakes.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    All of Carrie's private parties and concerts aren't included in this either....and I read on Twitter, for instance, that The Voice isn't included in Blakes.
    Judging from the methodology somebody else posted that is probably true. All of these publications are estimating. Unless they've seen their tax returns they don't know what any artist actually makes. I give Billboard credit for publishing how they calculated the numbers. I've often wondered how the bands are paid. Do they get a percentage or a flat fee per gig?
    rainbow1 likes this.

•