Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472

    Carrie Underwood is rooting for a female to win 'American Idol' Season 12

    Country superstar Carrie Underwood is only one of four female winners of FOX's hit TV show, American Idol. The Oklahoma-native nabbed the illustrious crown back in 2005 and has since gone on to sell 15 million albums and achieve an impressive string of No. 1 Country hits, including her most recent chart-toppers, "Good Girl" and "Blown Away."


    "You never know who or why people vote a certain way," Carrie told the media in Nashville, according to The Boot. "The way the voting goes has a lot to do with the audience watching the show. I don't know how I pulled off a win the year I was on. That year, they said a guy was gonna win and they were wrong, fortunately. Thank goodness."


    Underwood joins an elite club of four powerhouse female champs: Kelly Clarkson (2002), Fantasia Barrino (2004) and Jordin Sparks (2007). Despite the uncanny current trend of white male guitar-toting winners (David Cook, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, Scotty McCreery, Phillip Phillips), the blonde belter still is holding out hope for another young lady to snatch back the title. "I'm always excited to watch the show and definitely will throw in some votes of my own," she said. "I would like to see another female take it home, I think it's time."

    http://www.examiner.com/article/carr...idol-season-12

  • #2
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Fantasia and Jordin would never win if they were on the show now.

  • #3
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128
    ^^Sometimes I try to imagine if the season 4 contestants were competing now in 2013, Carrie's win will probably be not so easy. Maybe Mario Vasquez (the contestant who dropped out of top 12) or Constantine will even win instead of Carrie lol.

  • #4
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Fantasia and Jordin would never win if they were on the show now.
    I honestly do not think any of the female winners could win in today's climate, even Carrie.

    What is hurting the show so much is the aging demographic. It isn't that young show it used to be, thus the reason they tapped Nicki for the panel.

  • #5
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    I think you guys are underplaying Carries impact the season she won.
    Also, the changes that have been made over the years have created an evolution in the way people view the contestants.
    When Carrie won it was still basically a singing competition. That is not the case anymore.

    but if Carrie came in this year with the exact same story behind her, I would have the exact same reaction to her that I did 8 years ago.
    And I would probably vote like a fool.
    I'm sorry to have to point this out, but Carries overall singing ability trumps most of the theorys of how people vote on the show. ITs the combination of her singing and her J'e nesa Quoi that put her where she is and would again in my belief.

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan thunder92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    No where
    Posts
    4,891
    Concert Stars
    ^yeah, but Carrie had no stage presence when she started and I feel now you need it. It should be about the singing, but now its more about the extras I feel.

  • #7
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think you guys are underplaying Carries impact the season she won.
    Also, the changes that have been made over the years have created an evolution in the way people view the contestants.
    When Carrie won it was still basically a singing competition. That is not the case anymore.

    but if Carrie came in this year with the exact same story behind her, I would have the exact same reaction to her that I did 8 years ago.
    And I would probably vote like a fool.
    I'm sorry to have to point this out, but Carries overall singing ability trumps most of the theorys of how people vote on the show. ITs the combination of her singing and her J'e nesa Quoi that put her where she is and would again in my belief.
    Actually no. Yes, Carrie is talented and was awesome during Season 4. But that was 9 years ago. The voting demographic for the show has changed. It's aged, look at the past 5 winners. It's not about singing ability anymore (not to discredit the WGWG b/c they are talented in their own right). It's about which cute guy wins.

  • #8
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    Actually no. Yes, Carrie is talented and was awesome during Season 4. But that was 9 years ago. The voting demographic for the show has changed. It's aged, look at the past 5 winners. It's not about singing ability anymore (not to discredit the WGWG b/c they are talented in their own right). It's about which cute guy wins.
    I do agree with you on all of this.
    But, I also believe that it only takes someone to come along a break a mold to remind us that molds are made to be broken.
    We thought no cd would ever sell like SH did again because of the changes that were going on in tech.
    Well, Adele and Taylor sure proved that theory wrong.
    I guess I still believe that Carrie does have that indifinable something that allows a wider range of people to get behind her.
    There were plenty of young girls voting for her.
    (of course she was going against a scary man with long hair and a beard to, ha ha)

  • #9
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Smokyiiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    6,464
    Concert Stars
    Have to agree with Jason on this one.....hate that that's the trend but it is what it is.....

  • #10
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,157
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
    ^yeah, but Carrie had no stage presence when she started and I feel now you need it. It should be about the singing, but now its more about the extras I feel.
    Please define for me, in layman's terms, what exactly is stage presence? Thanks.

  • #11
    Insane Carrie Fan thunder92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    No where
    Posts
    4,891
    Concert Stars
    ^lol well I guess there is no definition. I just dont think the small town girl who never had any experience before would work now.

  • #12
    Insane Carrie Fan Marie2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,862
    I am going to wait and see aka after the hollywood rounds before deciding whether or not i want female to win for this season of AI.

  • #13
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    I honestly do not think any of the female winners could win in today's climate, even Carrie.

    What is hurting the show so much is the aging demographic. It isn't that young show it used to be, thus the reason they tapped Nicki for the panel.
    You have a very valid point, Jason.

    I would give Carrie a better chance than Kelly to win and I would like Carrie's chances to win if she was on now but it wouldn't be a sure thing.

  • #14
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Audra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,595
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    Please define for me, in layman's terms, what exactly is stage presence? Thanks.
    I think it's just what it says, stage presence....they seem to look now for people that have experience on stage and are comfortable performing in front of a crowd, or especially in front of the 4 judges and not get nervous or stressed or anything like that. the past they didn't truly look for that true stage presence but now it's apparent that they want someone that has that.

  • #15
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    idol is looking for today's carrie underwood. not 2005 carrie underwood.
    Becca

  • #16
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    yes it's about time a girl wins!!

  • #17
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,409
    Some of you made very good points. Honestly,I think Carrie would get very far for sure, based on her outstanding voice and likeability, but it would be much harder for her to pull off a win.

    Back then, both the judges and audience were looking for a great singer and someone with great potential. Now, with audience seemingly became "veterans" in looking for a superstar, everyone wants a winner who is already a complete package - good singer, marketable looks, good songwriter or could play an instrument or two. I think S7 completely changed the criteria for a winner, tbh. And the success of Kelly and Carrie (and Jordin and Daughtry) makes it harder too, since they set the bar so high. People now sort of expect the winner to become successful right after the show.

    I agree with Becca that they want today's Carrie/Kelly, but they are forgetting both of them were very raw talent back then.


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 7
      Last Post: 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
    2. Carrie Underwood: Who Will Win American Idol Season 11?
      By Liatush in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 05-23-2012, 07:41 AM
    3. Who Is Carrie Underwood Rooting For On 'American Idol'?
      By LouisaJessie in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM
    5. Replies: 24
      Last Post: 06-06-2011, 09:35 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •