Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Pushing the Boundaries in Country Music- Grammy Blog (Carrie Mention)

The GRAMMYs ‏@TheGRAMMYs Pushing The Boundaries In #Country http://grm.my/XIZZeQ GRAMMY Blogger @shesabigstar debates traditional vs. current Country music

rtists such as Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, and Tammy Wynette, among others, are synonymous with the history of country music. While the foundation of the genre may have been built on the more traditional sounds, the influence that other genres are having on contemporary country artists is evident today more than ever.
    GRAMMY-nominated artist Jason Aldean brought Ludacris into the country world, teaming with the rapper on a remix of his 2011 GRAMMY-nominated hit "Dirt Road Anthem." That same year the pair performed the song live on "The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!! — Countdown To Music's Biggest Night." Though an arguably unlikely pairing from a traditional perspective, the two Georgia-based artists found the crossover more natural than most may have expected.
    "Even though our music is totally different, our roots are the same," Aldean said in an interview with People magazine in 2011. "It wasn't that much of a stretch." The crossover was so successful that the two released the remixed version on iTunes later that year.

Since winning season four of "American Idol" in 2005, Carrie Underwood has shot to the top of the country and pop music charts. While her music often incorporates traditional country elements, Underwood also tows the line between country and pop, as evidenced on her dance-ready GRAMMY-nominated song "Blown Away." Underwood is always quick to assert her country roots, but her cross-genre influences have helped bring new fans to the country scene.

-------------continued at site______________________________________________ _____

http://www.grammy.com/blogs/pushing-...ies-in-country

Obsessed Carrie Fan Eder Rodrigues's Avatar
    "Underwood also tows the line between country and pop, as evidenced on her dance-ready GRAMMY-nominated song Blown Away."

Concert Stars
    ^the lyrics may to be the dance type but the music is imo

Yeah, I've always felt that the drumbeat in BA is kind of dance-like. I could totally see it being remixed into a dance song (although the lyrics would not make sense as a dance song. lol).

Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I commented in the link...

Nice article too

Concert Stars
    nice article...kinda can see the dance thing in the song!

Concert Stars
    Like I said before..... I ALWAYS DANCE ON BLOWN AWAY. LOL

Concert Stars
    ha ha me too! And Good Girl.

Really? I can't imagine dancing to BA. It's so serious. lol

Also.. "tows"??

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    "Blown Away" is a perfect example of how to make a great pop-country song. The layering, vocal effects, and production give it the feel of a pop song, but the lyrics tell a great story. I wasn't crazy about "Blown Away" when it first came out, but now I can't get enough of it. Love it. It pushes the envelope, indeed.

Concert Stars
    ^ I remember some traditionalist blogger called it a disco song. lol

Junior Carrie Follower
    lol disco? If I had to pick another genre, I'd say BA is more brit pop (ie Adele, Florence and the machine) than anything else, what with the drums and the production. I don't think the blogger has listened to much pop recently since most of it is already a dance track with vocals added to it.

Just because it's poppy doesn't mean it's dance...

Concert Stars
    I do a mean Samba every time I hear Blown Away on the radio. All the people in the ohter cars kind of look at me funny though.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Thanks for that visual, Ron. It will be in my head all day!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think the Grammys are right in their assessment of Carrie having her heart in the authenticity of Country Music (even if they do seem a tad confused over the "toe the line" metaphor!)

What always surprises me though is the suggestion that these Pop influences in commercial Country Music are new. The people they mention as synonymous with the history of the format also incorporated Pop influences (and some they could have mentioned - Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves - even more so). It's been a feature of the "Nashville Sound" all through - there is no period since the 50s when commercial Mainstream Country could be considered free from Pop influence.

Here, for example, is an artist Carrie's sometimes compared to, Connie Smith. The musical arrangement in this seems more Pop influenced than several of Carrie's own current tracks

Concert Stars
    Again, I think it all boils down to intentions.
    I believe when artists like K.Rogers / D.Parton / J.Cash / T.Wynette / Chrystal Gayle ........(long long list), were making "their music", I think they believed they were making country music.
    Yes it infused a popular sound or style of the period. But that is natural for any artist living in a certain time being influenced by what they hear.
    When Carrie Underwood sets out to make music I believe in my whole heart her intentions are to make country music for the country genre to be played at country radio (she almost drives me nuts with her commitment to it)!
    But others (who shall remain nameless) set out to make music, I believe it in created and designed to gain expossure in as many areas as they can possibly get it in. That intention makes a big diffenrence when defining something.
    I believe J.Aldean set out to make a country song and added the rap. And I think it worked really well as a modern country song.
    But a song like WANEGBt can never be mistaken for a country song. And the comparisons to "new country aritsts" blurring the lines should never be made.
    BA was writen as a country song. Carrie picked it up and took it too the studio and came up with an epic / theatrical / event!
    But I still believe she set out to make a country song.
    Intentions are everything.

I like the fact that Carrie and Taylors latest efforts keep getting called out cause it makes a very improtant distiction.
    "What were the artists intentions"???? Both ladies have made it abundantly clear in interviews.
    Carrie said she was trying to make a country song. Taylor said she was trying to make a pop song.

I thnk it is only fair to make such distictions.

(did I just go off on a tangent??)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I think the Grammys are right in their assessment of Carrie having her heart in the authenticity of Country Music (even if they do seem a tad confused over the "toe the line" metaphor!)

What always surprises me though is the suggestion that these Pop influences in commercial Country Music are new. The people they mention as synonymous with the history of the format also incorporated Pop influences (and some they could have mentioned - Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves - even more so). It's been a feature of the "Nashville Sound" all through - there is no period since the 50s when commercial Mainstream Country could be considered free from Pop influence.

Here, for example, is an artist Carrie's sometimes compared to, Connie Smith. The musical arrangement in this seems more Pop influenced than several of Carrie's own current tracks

Ha ha, though I completely agree with what you are saying, the minute that "shuffle" starts, there is no question that is was intended for a country audience. Poppy, yes, but country? Absolutely!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great article but BA is too sad to dance too

Junior Carrie Follower
    ^ Shhhh! Don't apply more logic as to why the blogger was wrong

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast