Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Ultimate Carrie Fan reneeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Miami Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,004

    Revenge Videos by Female Artists: Good or Bad for Women?

    http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/reve...202300904.html

    Country star and American Idol winner Carrie Underwood released a video today for her new single, "Two Black Cadillacs." In the grand tradition of country music, the song tells of two women who discover they are sleeping with the same man and plan to exact revenge.

    The title refers to the two black Cadillacs at the man's funeral—one for his wife, one for his mistress. But they are also the cars that the women use to mow the man down, murdering him for his crimes. At the end of the song, the two women share "a crimson smile," leaving their secret "at the grave."

    What could be better than murdering your cheating ex-boyfriend? Having his wife as your accomplice. See, women really can be friends.

  • #2
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    I really hate pieces about this subject. I didn't read it, but I hate when people discuss the merits of music. Just let music be music. Imo, EVERYTHING deserves to be turned into art. I'd listen to a song about a rapist, I'd watch a TV show about a serial killer, I'd read a book about Nazis (in fact, I DO do these things).

    Not sure if this was in the article, but I also really dislike when people demand this song be more "justified" -- like the women should have a better reason to kill him. Turn on any crime show. Women DO kill men that have cheated on them. In fact, this is probably the most common type of murder in history (or at least the vice versa is). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But even if it was far-fetched (which like I said is laughable), it's a story. Chill out.

    /rant

  • #3
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    ^^ I totally agree...like just let it be...

  • #4
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I really hate pieces about this subject. I didn't read it, but I hate when people discuss the merits of music. Just let music be music. Imo, EVERYTHING deserves to be turned into art. I'd listen to a song about a rapist, I'd watch a TV show about a serial killer, I'd read a book about Nazis (in fact, I DO do these things).

    Not sure if this was in the article, but I also really dislike when people demand this song be more "justified" -- like the women should have a better reason to kill him. Turn on any crime show. Women DO kill men that have cheated on them. In fact, this is probably the most common type of murder in history (or at least the vice versa is). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But even if it was far-fetched (which like I said is laughable), it's a story. Chill out.

    /rant
    And who says we're supposed to agree with what the women in the song did? It's not like Carrie's saying this guy deserved to be killed. haha

  • #5
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I really hate pieces about this subject. I didn't read it, but I hate when people discuss the merits of music. Just let music be music. Imo, EVERYTHING deserves to be turned into art. I'd listen to a song about a rapist, I'd watch a TV show about a serial killer, I'd read a book about Nazis (in fact, I DO do these things).

    Not sure if this was in the article, but I also really dislike when people demand this song be more "justified" -- like the women should have a better reason to kill him. Turn on any crime show. Women DO kill men that have cheated on them. In fact, this is probably the most common type of murder in history (or at least the vice versa is). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But even if it was far-fetched (which like I said is laughable), it's a story. Chill out.

    /rant
    Amen. And I'll also add something else: double standards. A man can probably get away with this kinda thing easily, while women are usually questioned for it. Carrie obviously took a big risk releasing this song as a single, but I'm glad she did. If anything, there are too many things that are TOO safe in our society nowadays; it's nice to hear a woman sing something gutsy.

  • #6
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    Actually I disagree, if Jason aldean released a song like this (even if it was just a story) there would be a major uproar.
    Becca

  • #7
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Geez, it is a song & video and nothing more than that.

  • #8
    New Carrie Fan n8van2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    14
    Does the writer of the article not understand the part at the end of the video where the 2 women get in the possessed car which then (presumably) kills them?

  • #9
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,621
    Concert Stars
    The more talk this video elicits, the better it is. Carrie and her team created a masterpiece.

  • #10
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,374
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by n8van2 View Post
    Does the writer of the article not understand the part at the end of the video where the 2 women get in the possessed car which then (presumably) kills them?
    No!!!

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Cps235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,678
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I really hate pieces about this subject. I didn't read it, but I hate when people discuss the merits of music. Just let music be music. Imo, EVERYTHING deserves to be turned into art. I'd listen to a song about a rapist, I'd watch a TV show about a serial killer, I'd read a book about Nazis (in fact, I DO do these things).

    Not sure if this was in the article, but I also really dislike when people demand this song be more "justified" -- like the women should have a better reason to kill him. Turn on any crime show. Women DO kill men that have cheated on them. In fact, this is probably the most common type of murder in history (or at least the vice versa is). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But even if it was far-fetched (which like I said is laughable), it's a story. Chill out.
    /rant
    I couldn't agree with you more Nicole. By the way, where's the link button? Lolol. Seriously, people need to chill. It's not that deep.

  • #12
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    The "like" button has gone extinct. RIP.

  • #13
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by n8van2 View Post
    Does the writer of the article not understand the part at the end of the video where the 2 women get in the possessed car which then (presumably) kills them?
    you meant that cant happen in real life? damn it!
    Becca

  • #14
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Pitocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    1,132
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Actually I disagree, if Jason aldean released a song like this (even if it was just a story) there would be a major uproar.
    Becca
    100% totally and completely wholeheartedly agree with this. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my revenge songs so so so so so so so much, but if a man were to ever release a song like BHC or TBC or Gunpowder and Lead by Miranda.......disastrous

  • #15
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    Well, it's nice to have something in country music the women can do that the men can't since country radio is dominated by men


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 38
      Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM
    2. Revenge
      By Casper in forum TV Shows
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM
    3. The “Hit” List: Top 11 Revenge Songs
      By Naco1776 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
    4. VH1 Honors Women Who Rock: 100 Greatest Women in Music- on 2-13-12
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
    5. Miranda Lambert Gets Revenge Tips From Carrie Underwood, Beyonce
      By Naco1776 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •