Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan

Carrie Underwood weighs in on artists' lip-synching

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 5:45 PM PST
    Updated: Jan 23, 2013 4:47 PM PST
    Reported by Jimmy Carter

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

In the wake of questions over Beyonce's rendition of the national anthem at Monday's presidential inauguration, one artist who knows the pressure of the spotlight spoke out Tuesday in Nashville.

"Because if I'm up there singing one of my songs, and I mess up the words, who cares? I'll laugh it off, and they'll laugh it off, and it's funny," Underwood said. "But when you have something so important, for some big, important event - and all eyes are on you - that's a lot of pressure."

Underwood, who is nominated for two Grammy Awards for her chart-topping hit, Blown Away, stopped by the Nashville Grammy chapter's party at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel.

While the U.S. Marine Band later backed off its initial comments that Beyonce had performed with a pre-recorded version of the anthem, and the singer herself has not yet commented, Underwood said she doesn't second-guess others' performances.

"I don't sit around and say, 'Are they or aren't they? I'm not sure.' But I can speak for myself, I don't - if I were sick, I would sing sick. That's not my cup of tea," Underwood said.

Underwood added that she hasn't performed with a voice track.

"I've never tried it, so I don't know what it's like. So, for me, I would really respect somebody a lot more if they got up - even if they were sick or whatever - and gave it their all," she said.

A representative for Hendersonville, TN, resident Kelly Clarkson said she sang live to perform My Country, 'Tis of Thee at the inauguration Monday.

Link: http://www.wsmv.com/story/20653341/c...s-lip-synching (w/video)

Concert Stars
    Carrie, always the consummate professional, and honest. I am thrilled that she added that she's never tried using a voice track. It's on the record once again. Thanks for posting.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Carrie, always the consummate professional, and honest. I am thrilled that she added that she's never tried using a voice track. It's on the record once again. Thanks for posting.
    I too love that she once again gives her honest opinion.

Concert Stars
    She did technically sing with a backing track during the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade way back when... but they make all the performers do that.

I love that she always sings live, and people think it's a recording.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    If you guys went a downloadable link i happened to have it from downloading it with realplayer.. Here's the link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/609uek (let me know of you have problems) .

Thank you for posting Pi!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awesome, gotta love our girl.

Concert Stars
    I to, went right to the Macy's day Parade in my head.
    You gotta be careful what you say.
    But I agree, I imagine she was refering to "choosing to sing to a track".
    I guess there is a difference.
    But she probably should not have said never.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think it's something that is better not to comment on. There are certain venues where lip synching is clearly not acceptable and I truly admire Carrie for standing her ground and singing live even when she is sick. However, things such as the National Anthem at the Super Bowl or I guess even the Inaugeration are a HUGE platform and people don't want it messed up. Singing to a track is the safest thing, because if your voice falters, I suppose the track is there to back you up (not really sure how it works). In very cold weather or windy weather, it would be very easy for your breath to get taken away and interrupt the song. I watched some of the entertainment shows last night that said Whitney Houston's highly praised SSB was either lip-synched or sung to a vocal track. We all know Whitney can sing it, they just didn't want the risk taken.

While, I reiterate, I admire Carrie's stance on it, I don't think it was necessary for her to say she would never do it, implying that those that might choose to do so to eliminate unanticipated problems are lesser artists for it. The show I watched last night also talked about artists who have a lot of dancing and choreography singing to vocal tracks, because otherwise (let's be honest) the singing would suffer during their performance (like Madonna and Britney). Their fans expect the songs to sound like an album track AND the artist to put on a highly intricate show/dance.

Finally, sometimes I do think Carrie says things in the moment and forgets little things like the Macy's parade where no one sings live. Also, I remember in one of her interviews or specials she talked about how the recording of an album was all new to her with Some Hearts and she didn't know what she was doing. Perhaps the studio setting for recording Some Hearts was greatly different or more elaborate, but it almost made it sound like she had never recorded before or had never sung with those studio headphones on, but we all know she had recorded demos and albums when she was younger. So, I never quite understood her comments saying that she had no clue what to do in a studio when she recorded Some Hearts.

Concert Stars
    I totally agree that a discussion about lip syncing amoung artists is a bad idea.
    It's not their place to judge. And in the case of an artist giving their opinion, it can only get them in trouble.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I highly doubt the general public will remember Carrie singing at the Macy's parade. Only those of us that follow her career closely are going to remember that.

As for the general issue of artists commenting on other artists' lip-syncing, I don't think that it is appropriate. However, I think the media baits celebrities into commenting on the spot. Carrie was asked this question on a red carpet, and was likely caught off-guard. She was probably trying to be as tactful as possible while still getting her opinion across. I do have to admire how Carrie is feeling like she can voice her true opinions more in the last few years whereas earlier in her career, she would often give more politically correct answers that weren't going to ruffle any feathers.

Concert Stars
    Carrie just stated she wouldn't do it. Never really talked about other artists. I don't see a problem with that at all

i guess she did say she would respect someone more. But I still don't think it was negative

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    IMO no artist ever should be allowed on a stage never-ever, ever lip-syncing, anywhere anytime, any place. The first time lip-synching happened is in late 1989 during a live performance on MTV. All the greats like Julie Andrews, Elvis, Gene Kelley Dancing and singing in the rain, etc never did.

Carrie Guru
    I think the difference with the Macy's parade is that Carrie sang with a back track but didn't actually LIP-SYNC. They played the track that everyone heard but she was just singing, she wasn't trying to match her lips to the track. That's what she meant when she said she'd never tried it before.

It's always nice for us if Carrie keeps her opinions to herself because she doesn't get in trouble that way. But this is the new Carrie and we'd better get used to it.

I agree with thunder92, Carrie didn't really say anything wrong. She states that there's a lot of pressure in situations like that but she respects the person more if they go out and gives it everything they've got and it's often more rewarding. Sure it's gonna rub some people the wrong way but it's the way she feels.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 5:45 PM PST
    Updated: Jan 23, 2013 4:47 PM PST
    Reported by Jimmy Carter

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

"Because if I'm up there singing one of my songs, and I mess up the words, who cares? I'll laugh it off, and they'll laugh it off, and it's funny," Underwood said. "But when you have something so important, for some big, important event - and all eyes are on you - that's a lot of pressure."

Underwood, who is nominated for two Grammy Awards for her chart-topping hit, Blown Away, stopped by the Nashville Grammy chapter's party at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel.

Underwood said she doesn't second-guess others' performances.

"I don't sit around and say, 'Are they or aren't they? I'm not sure.' But I can speak for myself, I don't - if I were sick, I would sing sick. That's not my cup of tea," Underwood said.

Underwood added that she hasn't performed with a voice track.

"I've never tried it, so I don't know what it's like. So, for me, I would really respect somebody a lot more if they got up - even if they were sick or whatever - and gave it their all," she said.

A representative for Hendersonville, TN, resident Kelly Clarkson said she sang live to perform My Country, 'Tis of Thee at the inauguration Monday.

Link: http://www.wsmv.com/story/20653341/c...s-lip-synching (w/video)

Well, Carrie is just stating her SELF-IDENITY ragarding THIS MATTER - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT - "Who am I, in this kind of situation? What do I stand for, in this kind of situation? How do I maintain my SENSE OF SELF, in this kind of situation?" ...... Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and SOME American Idol alumni PERFORMED IT LIVE - GREATLY - MANY TIMES. MY PROBLEM with what Beyonce did is that - it will tarnish the GREAT PERFORMANCES "LIVE" OF "MANY ARTISTS" - because THE PUBLIC WILL HAVE A SUSPICION that "THEY ARE DOING THE SAME THING" LIKE BEYONCE DID.

Carrie wisely understood that it is better - FOR THE PUBLIC to understand "WHO SHE IS"! ...... In that kind of situation!

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I think the difference with the Macy's parade is that Carrie sang with a back track but didn't actually LIP-SYNC. They played the track that everyone heard but she was just singing, she wasn't trying to match her lips to the track. That's what she meant when she said she'd never tried it before.

It's always nice for us if Carrie keeps her opinions to herself because she doesn't get in trouble that way. But this is the new Carrie and we'd better get used to it.

I agree with thunder92, Carrie didn't really say anything wrong. She states that there's a lot of pressure in situations like that but she respects the person more if they go out and gives it everything they've got and it's often more rewarding. Sure it's gonna rub some people the wrong way but it's the way she feels.

VERY WELL SAID!

It is a lesson as relevant to ANY ARTIST - as to aspiring GREAT VOCALIST - "live" AND "studio recording"!

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post

I don't know about the majority, but I've *ALWAYS* wanted Carrie to speak her mind muuuuuch more. I have no interest in diplomatic speech and political correctness.

Concert Stars
    Love her view on this!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love the way Carrie presents her opinions, and I think it's great that's she's not afraid to shy away from much of anything since marrying Mike. She has the right to speak her mind, as anyone does; and unlike most celebrities, she does it VERY well. She speaks her mind without being rude or putting others down; I love that.

It's not surprising to me that Carrie has never lip synced; she seems to value authenticity above all else. She also seems keenly aware of the criticism Idol winners/contestants receive; her desire to be as authentic as possible may have been strengthened by the doubt others had in her talent coming off Idol. People expected her to be a fake, manipulated Barbie doll; instead she came out right away and said "this is who I am, and this is who I'll always be."

Carrie is one of the few artists brave enough to sing the superbowl national anthem live; that alone takes an enormous amount of faith and pride in your talent. I respect Carrie for being one of the few artists who would rather screw up and laugh it off, then fake it and be perfect. She truly is an artist in every sense, and it's becoming clearer with each album and interview. I'm really proud of her.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I respect her opinion. She didn't say anything bad, just her honest feelings.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast