Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Music Video Review: Carrie Underwood, 'Two Black Cadillacs'

If you thought Carrie Underwood wasn’t capable of pouring out a deliciously sinister and creepy music video, you simply haven’t even scratched the surface of who Carrie is as an artist. When she decided to release “Two Black Cadillacs,” a tale of revenge, lust and murder, I was marveled at her for taking such a huge risk with her material. The new single, which currently sits at No. 11 on Mediabase, is the kind of song that could take an artist’s career to the next level, and so far, it has done just that.

An unnamed little birdie revealed to me the song’s epic music video. It’s set for official release on Wednesday, Jan. 23 on ET and VEVO. Fortunately, for me, I didn’t have to wait.

After watching it about 20 times, I have a few thoughts…

First off, the music video is a solid endeavor in storytelling and bringing the song’s dark lyrics to life. I would be lying if I said it’s her best video to-date, but I’m realistic. It’s not…but it is one of her best. It is rather polarizing, honestly. On one hand, there are a few moments that leave me impressed with the American Idol alum. But on the other hand, there are times when I wish she would have taken a more literal retelling of the story. Regardless, fans will love it.

The best part of the video?

The husband’s death revelation at the end.

Overall Grade: A-

http://www.jasonthegleek.com/2013/01...ack-cadillacs/

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    thanks!

Concert Stars
    Oh My Goodness, Thank you for your review. This is just getting better and better. WOW

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I must confess, I'm a little worried, Jason - especially about this bit:
    "there are times when I wish she would have taken a more literal retelling of the story"

But maybe my fears of a contrived let out are groundless (and if they're not, I can always put it down to the label and the director)

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I must confess, I'm a little worried, Jason - especially about this bit:
    "there are times when I wish she would have taken a more literal retelling of the story"

But maybe my fears of a contrived let out are groundless (and if they're not, I can always put it down to the label and the director)
    Don't worry. The video is worth the wait. I'm just saying overall I wish there was more "storytelling" to it. Much like the song itself, the video is rather vague in some parts, which does add to the mystery...

Who is Carrie? the wife? the mistress? who? who?? who??? LOL

Junior Carrie Follower underwoodfanfrance's Avatar
    Thanks so much for the review! I can't wait!

Concert Stars
    OH, Jason...now you have us even more on edge!!!!

Concert Stars
    Tx jason. . You gave us good intel without giving anything away.

i wish you liked it a bit more but perhaps this is a polarizing video as you said. Some of us will adore it and some will wish for literal interpretations of the song.

I think the song itself is very vague though and leaves much open for speculation and guessing as the lyrics don't give us many details at all- which is why I always begged for another verse.

So it makes sense to me that the video would go far beyond the lyrics of the song as the lyrics are too sparse to give us anything. I am happy the video goes farther then the sparse lyrics personally. I want the whole story.

ps- can you tell us if it is based on a movie ?? Tx!

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Tx jason. . You gave us good intel without giving anything away.

i wish you liked it a bit more but perhaps this is a polarizing video as you said. Some of us will adore it and some will wish for literal interpretations of the song.

I think the song itself is very vague though and leaves much open for speculation and guessing as the lyrics don't give us many details at all- which is why I always begged for another verse.

So it makes sense to me that the video would go far beyond the lyrics of the song as the lyrics are too sparse to give us anything. I am happy the video goes farther then the sparse lyrics personally. I want the whole story.

ps- can you tell us if it is based on a movie ?? Tx!
    I can't say what movie b/c that would give away the ending.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    Will most of us like the ending?

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thanks Jason!

Concert Stars
    Oops i just read your full review and I see you said it is based on a horror movie- yay!! i am gonna guess either The Twilight Zone or Night of the Living Dead as you guessed.

Carrie does love her horror films. Lol

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks, Jason.

The sparseness in the song lyrics is part of the Southern Gothic tradition. Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe", for example, left people guessing, and a film and book speculated on the relationship and exactly what Biliy Joe McAllister threw off the Tallahatchee Bridge - but it was never revealed.

However, Carrie did talk about this song a little when the audio was first released - and she did say "they kill him". She was one of the writers, so that theme must have been the original intention.
    I do think that if an accident, suicide, or third party is introduced into the video, some will see it as "sanitizing" the narrator's part in the story, and blunting some of its edge.

Nevertheless, however the story turns out, I'm sure the video will be atmospheric, suspenseful and well-filmed. It's main purpose will be to attract more interest to the song, and I certainly look forward to that.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, excellent review, Jason! I can't wait. I'm a little disappointed you don't consider it her best video, but if it is as polarizing as you stated, there will be lots of different opinions. I'm intrigued to see it, thanks so much for the little tidbits.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post

Tx! Lol i appreciate you giving us tidbits but not ruining our surprise. this us gonna be epic!

Ty
    I can already tell a lot of people are going to hate this twist - whatever it is- lol. Personally, I'm glad that she's having fun and not doing what's predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    I can already tell a lot of people are going to hate this twist - whatever it is- lol. Personally, I'm glad that she's having fun and not doing what's predictable.
    Yea. I agree. Some are gonna love it...but I think there will be a lot of people that HATE the twist. Personally, I think it's pretty cool.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I have a feeling there will be some serious debates on this board on Wednesday about this video and the twist . To me, just from the trailer this video looks to be something I'll enjoy. I just have a good feeling about this video, so I hope it really delivers.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    is the horror movie it's based on a good one or just a cheesy one as so many are?

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast