• 10 Post By Claire2004
  • 1 Post By Kenny_Chisholm
  • 1 Post By Claire2004

Thread: Country Universe Top Albums of 2012

Country Universe Top Albums of 2012

CU's Top Albums of 2012
    by Ben Foster
    January 2, 2013

As reflected by the title of our web site, our choices for Top 40 Albums of 2012 span the farthest reaches of the country music universe. In previous years, the Country Universe staff has counted down twenty albums and forty singles, but this year our album picks included such a wide variety that we were able to stretch our Top Albums countdown to a full forty slots. What did we miss? That’s where you, our readers, come in. Please join in the discussion, and share which albums you had in heavy rotation over the past year.

Blown Away
    Carrie Underwood

Individual rankings: Kevin – #1; Tara – #5; Ben – #16

The hardest-working woman in country music. She could’ve coasted on the material of others, but she’s put the work in to develop into a great songwriter in her own right, with a distinctive point of view that is becoming just as essential to her artistry as those powerful pipes that made her a star in the first place. She’s said that “Blown Away,” one of the few songs she didn’t write, set the tone for the album. What a blessed discovery that song was then, as it challenged Underwood to be bolder than she ever dared before. She consistently sings about and writes about strong women who refuse to be defined by their relationships with men and who ultimately triumph over the ones who compromise their physical or emotional well-being. “Good Girl” might be the most obvious cautionary tale to the young girls that make up a good chunk of her audience, but here’s hoping they also hear her calls to reject the media’s narrow definitions of beauty (“Nobody Ever Told You”) and the judgment-free reminiscence of first-time love on “Do You Think About Me.” Leave it to Carrie Underwood to kill off two men and still preserve her distinctive position as country music’s best role model. - Kevin John Coyne

Top Tracks: “Blown Away,” “Do You Think About Me,” “See You Again”
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » CU’s Top Albums of 2012

Huge Carrie Follower
    consider good or?

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Kelvin clearly belongs on this forum along with the rest of us. He is one huge fan.
    rainbow1 likes this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Interesting. No 'Four The Record' or 'Red'. Since individual ratings were all over the place wonder how they arrived at the final placement. I can see that they are looking at quality rather than commercial success and it's great to see 'Blown Away' recognized.
    On a side note I see they give ' 100 Proof' a very high rating. This album has received high praise from tradionalists in country music yet the singles released from it went nowhere on radio. Can an artist and even a label survive in the business if their product has marginal to insignificant success?

^^Four The Record was released 2011, they ranked it #4 for their list that year:
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Top Twenty Albums of 2011, Part Two: #10-#1
    pgk likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great comments about "Blown Away" and Carrie as an artist!

Junior Carrie Follower abdulmajeed's Avatar
    I love See You Again!

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Interesting. No 'Four The Record' or 'Red'. Since individual ratings were all over the place wonder how they arrived at the final placement. I can see that they are looking at quality rather than commercial success and it's great to see 'Blown Away' recognized.
    On a side note I see they give ' 100 Proof' a very high rating. This album has received high praise from tradionalists in country music yet the singles released from it went nowhere on radio. Can an artist and even a label survive in the business if their product has marginal to insignificant success?
    ..also the ranking of # 2 and #3...I never even heard of those artists or their music in the radio...at least not on my country radio stations

Plus don't understand their overall ranking. For Blown Away, individual ranking was #1, #5, and #6...but final ranking was @ #11....(just wondering)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    ..also the ranking of # 2 and #3...I never even heard of those artists or their music in the radio...at least not on my country radio stations

Plus don't understand their overall ranking. For Blown Away, individual ranking was #1, #5, and #6...but final ranking was @ #11....(just wondering)
    The final ranking was 16 not 6. That one ranking is probably why it finished #11. Although looking at the rest of the top 10, I'm not sure how they did their rankings.

Concert Stars
    not bad comments

•