• 2 Post By ydumarp
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 6 Post By gaycarebear
  • 2 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By Burst

Thread: Country Universe Top Singles Of 2012

Country Universe Top Singles Of 2012

CU's Top Singles of 2012

Seven writers - Kevin Coyne, Leeann Ward, Dan Milliken, Tara Seetharam, Jonathan Keefe, Sam Gazdziak, and myself - individually listed our twenty favorite albums and singles of 2012, and used a points system to combine our individual lists into collective lists. Our Best of 2012 feature will include countdowns of forty albums and forty singles to be revealed over the course of the next few days. Today we kick off with the first half of our Top 40 Singles countdown, to be followed tomorrow by our Top 20. Our Top 40 Albums countdown will follow shortly thereafter. Enjoy, and please be sure to share your own favorites in the comments section. Thank you to all for being a part of the Country Universe family in 2012. We look forward to sharing more great music in 2012.

#23 Good Girl
    Carrie Underwood
    Individual rankings: Kevin - #6; Dan - #16

A rockin' little record that exudes Underwood's growing confidence as a singer and a songwriter. A much-needed shot of adrenaline into the arm of country radio. - Kevin John Coyne

Edit:

#17 Two Black Cadillacs”
    Carrie Underwood
    Individual rankings: Kevin – #4; Tara – #4; Ben – #18

A haunting Southern Gothic tale of revenge, heavy on the catharsis and light on the narrative. Underwood fills in the gaps with a spot-on performance – imbuing it with chilling fury, sinister joy, and just enough poise to suggest she knows tantalizingly more than we do. - Tara Seetharam

#11 “Blown Away”
    Carrie Underwood
    Individual rankings: Kevin – #2; Dan – #7; Tara – #14; Ben – #15

An epic single with both a theme and a production big enough to contain the overwhelming vocal powerhouse that is Carrie Underwood. Give her points for being courageous enough to tackle this topic on record, but get down on your knees and offer praise and gratitude for being talented enough to pull it off. - Kevin John Coyne
    http://www.countryuniverse.net/2012/...ngles-of-2012/
    Last edited by Claire2004; 12-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    GG shoulda been higher. ;D

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great writeup, but I agree, GG should've been higher. A great song that brought a lot of personality to radio.
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

The top 20 list is up.

#11 Blown Away
    #17 Two Black Cadillacs

Concert Stars
    Bummer I thought BA would be higher. Oh well.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Bummer I thought BA would be higher. Oh well.
    But we should all be thankful that THREE of Carrie's songs made the list.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The biggest gripe I have is Creepin beat BA. I can't stand that song. Springsteen is a much better Church song. It's also interesting to look at each reviewer's ranking. For example, Ben is very much a traditionalist. Looking at his rankings, the more traditional sounding songs the higher he will rate them, up to a point.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    They never hesitated to confirm radio won't have anything to do with a lot of these songs/artist - I agree, what a shame!! I also would have put BA and TBC higher but I'm also glad that 3 of hers made the list. I'm one of the few that doesn't agree with their 1st choice - not a favorite of mine at any time.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    BA, TBC, and GG should be higher. All three are very different from what Carrie has done before, and certainly showed major artistic growth.

I disagree with the rankings of a few of these songs, especially "Springsteen" and "Merry Go Round." I found both to be quite 'safe' and overrated. I never cared for "Creepin', either. But I do love reading the individual rankings, and I love that you can tell Kevin and Tara are such big Carrie fans. I would've put "So You Don't Have To Love Me Anymore" at #1. A beautiful, classic-sounding song that should've gotten more recognition than it did.

You can always tell that the CU writers put a lot of thought into these lists, and I always enjoy reading them.

I especially loved Tara's blurb about TBC; it sums my feelings about the song and Carrie's vocal performance perfectly:

A haunting Southern Gothic tale of revenge, heavy on the catharsis and light on the narrative. Underwood fills in the gaps with a spot-on performance imbuing it with chilling fury, sinister joy, and just enough poise to suggest she knows tantalizingly more than we do. - Tara Seetharam
    DizzyDollyDee and teesharky like this.

I obviously think they all should be higher, but BA especially. Blown Away did very well on radio and is a very deep, well-written, well-produced and well-sung song. It literally blows away most of the top ten. At least all three Carrie songs made it!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    Where is Country Music Masterpiece WANEGBT?!?!?!? BUMMER!

Concert Stars
    Hmm thought some of those would've been higher!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    It is so much a matter of individual taste. I am surprised at the love of Creeping....I like Eric Church and saw him when he came out with his last album. He has come a long ways and is something different from the other boys. Just not loving that song and the video I find Creepy, not Creeping. I have heard much about Kellie Pickler's album. I really would have thought with all the love I have been hearing for her that you would have seen some of hers on here. Surprised to see ML get trounced for having two awful singles, but they were good to the Pistol Annies.

•