Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Underwood: The biggest Idol ever? (Orlando Sentinel)

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Underwood: The biggest Idol ever? (Orlando Sentinel)

Underwood: The biggest Idol ever?

By Jim Abbott, Orlando Sentinel Music Critic
    10:43 a.m. EST, December 20, 2012

When it comes to American Idols, it's tough to top the first one.

Without Kelly Clarkson's consistent career and a likable persona maintained in the decade since winning the show's inaugural season, "American Idol" might not have become a pop-culture institution.

Most of the show's recognizable contestants — Clay Aiken, Fantasia Barrino, Ruben Studdard, Taylor Hicks, Daughtry — have burned brightly, but relatively briefly, in the public imagination. Yes, Jennifer Hudson is an Oscar winner with a breathtaking voice, but a list of other enduring successes would be a short one.

Carrie Underwood's name belongs on that list.

When Underwood — who performs Friday at Amway Center — prevailed during the show's fourth season in 2005, she seemed destined for the somewhat limited universe of the country charts.

And she did quickly conquer that realm with her smash 2005 album, "Some Hearts," the best-selling debut release by a female country act in history. The album yielded four No. 1 singles: "Jesus, Take the Wheel," "Don't Forget to Remember Me," "Wasted" and "Before He Cheats."

Two years later, that album's follow-up, "Carnival Ride," generated another four chart-topping songs: "So Small," "All-American Girl," "Last Name" and "Just a Dream." Her third studio release, "Play On" (2009), took her to the top of the charts again with "Cowboy Casanova," "Temporary Home" and the title track.

Underwood has sold 14 million albums, more than any other "Idol" winner. She has won five Grammys (including best new artist) and a truckload of country-music awards. She is now on tour showcasing her latest CD, "Blown Away," but also taking her career in interesting directions off the country road.

The singer will be cast as Maria von Trapp in NBC's live, one-time broadcast of "The Sound of Music," set to air at the end of 2013. The three-hour program will be based on the Broadway musical, not the famous 1965 film version (but just try to push the notion of Underwood as the new Julie Andrews out of your head).

It's not the singer's first foray into acting. She made her feature-film debut in the 2011 movie "Soul Surfer" and showed a knack for comedy in an appearance on the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother."

Any of those credits are better than Clarkson's painful romp in "From Justin to Kelly," though far short of Hudson's award-winning turn in "Dreamgirls."

Another reason to put Underwood, 29, atop the "Idol" heap?

Like Clarkson, she exudes niceness, always a welcome quality in pop royalty.

At a recent concert in Des Moines, Iowa, Underwood soldiered through a 90-minute set despite losing her voice after a previous show. She reportedly cut only a few songs from the set list but was apologetic enough to donate the night's paycheck to charity:

"I feel real guilty about making any money on this show tonight," Underwood told the crowd. "So whatever I'm making is just going to go right back into this community."

Finally, Underwood is an Idol for the ages because she apparently exerts enormous influence in areas where lesser pop stars don't register a blip.

When Underwood's husband, professional hockey star Mike Fisher, was traded from the NHL's Ottawa Senators to the Nashville Predators in 2011, an Ottawa radio station sparked a mini-backlash with a stunt threatening to ban the singer's music from its airwaves.

Fisher responded to the controversy by stating that "obviously, Carrie had nothing to do with the move or the trade or anything, so to imply something like that was just wrong."

Nevertheless, The Hockey News included Underwood on its 2011 list of the "100 People of Power and Influence in Ice Hockey."

Kelly Clarkson didn't make the list.

Link: Carrie Underwood Orlando: Amway Center to host Carrie Underwood Orlando show - OrlandoSentinel.com
    Last edited by Pi314CA; 12-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Ahhhh. Love this writeup. Thanks for posting!
    Pi314CA and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Yikes, I am not too thrilled.
    Writer found a way to fill 4 paragraphs without saying anything nice about her. Just accomplishements.
    Did not seem like a fan.
    Oh well, whatch gonna do!
    glenn7 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    My take is the author likes Carrie. I enjoyed reading the article.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars

BA Tour

It is dated 12/20 and states concert is today 12/20? Concert is Fri. 12/21/12, hope peep don't read and show up to-nite and not looking at the date on their tickets.
    mbh likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting, great article about Carrie.
    Pi314CA and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Writer found a way to fill 4 paragraphs without saying anything nice about her. Just accomplishements.
    Did not seem like a fan.
    I think you are reading things into this that just weren't there.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Love this writeup!
    mbh likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn7 View Post
    It is dated 12/20 and states concert is today 12/20? Concert is Fri. 12/21/12, hope peep don't read and show up to-nite and not looking at the date on their tickets.
    I noticed that, so I sent the author an email.

Update: author replied and changed "today" to "Friday" in the article. He says that this online article is what will be in print in tomorrow's paper.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It is still funny that she was named one of The Hockey News included Underwood on its 2011 list of the "100 People of Power and Influence in Ice Hockey."
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Her third studio release, "Play On" (2009), took her to the top of the charts again with "Cowboy Casanova," "Temporary Home" and the title track.
    Uh...?

Aside from that, cute writeup. Especially the end lol.

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    lol, the last part... poor Kelly is never going be on the "Most Influential Women in Hockey" Well Carrie's never going to marry Reba's stepson (side note: did anybody notice that Kelly's engagement ring looks ridiculously like Carrie's!?)
    I really do love this article, though. Carrie is at the top of the 'Idol heap' and deserves her place there

Concert Stars
    this writeup is wonderful...LOVE the title!!
    mbh likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan13 View Post
    lol, the last part... poor Kelly is never going be on the "Most Influential Women in Hockey" Well Carrie's never going to marry Reba's stepson (side note: did anybody notice that Kelly's engagement ring looks ridiculously like Carrie's!?)
    I really do love this article, though. Carrie is at the top of the 'Idol heap' and deserves her place there
    So I'm not the only one who noticed that!

Huge Carrie Follower
    I noticed the ring too and couldn't believe it.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The rings are not the same. Both rings were designed by Johnathon Arndt and both diamonds are yellow canary color. However, if you look at the rings' designs they are quite different, having completely different cuts. They appear similar at a distance because they are both yellow diamonds. I'm not a fashionista or jewelry expert by any means, but I believe the trend is toward colored diamonds.
    JB172 and bluejeanbaby like this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Did not seem like a fan.

I agree. I do see a difference though. A few years ago a guy like this one would have focused on his dislikes and minimized her talent and achievements. Carrie is a bona fide superstar and while he may not be a fan she has established a solid enough reputation that belittling any of her talents would make him look like a big time fool. So he didn't. He didn't gush. He simply reported SOME not all of her undeniable stats. This must have been very difficult for him as he doesn't strike me as a fan. The article gives, somewhat reluctantly, a factual review of Carrie's achievements which lead to the conclusion that Carrie is at the top of the heap.

Given how this must have been a tough pill to swallow I'll overlook the last couple of lines where he is either trying to add some humour to his article or he's just being sarcastic. (he had to get a dig in)
    Gator likes this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan

Do you really think it looks like Carrie's ring? Have you seen them side by side.\? With the exception of the color of the diamond the settings are quite different.

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Do you really think it looks like Carrie's ring? Have you seen them side by side.\? With the exception of the color of the diamond the settings are quite different.
    From a distance, yah. They do look the same, both have the same color, cut, and ring designer and they are both massive. I just thought it was a crazy coincidence, that's all

Concert Stars
    Obviously she is the biggest idol winner, Her album sales have been consistent and she didn't have two flop eras and a relatively under-performing era in a row. Kelly's biggest thing since Breakway was Stronger, everything else was basically a disaster.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast