Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Toronto Review: Carrie Underwood Triumphs at the ACC

Concert Stars

Toronto Review: Carrie Underwood Triumphs at the ACC

Carrie Underwood triumphs at the ACC

Published on Monday December 10, 2012 Share on twitter Share on facebook

RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR Carrie Underwood performs at the Air Canada Centre on Dec. 9, 2012.

By Ben Rayner Pop Music Critic

1 Comments
    Well, that makes total sense.
    There are pop stars whose popularity will forever remain a source of bafflement to their doubters, and then there are pop stars who — whether you’re personally on board with what they do or not — waltz across the stage with such undeniable ownership of their craft that it immediately becomes obvious why they’re there.

Carrie Underwood falls into the latter camp.

· Photos: Carrie Underwood at the ACC

Yes, from the looks of the splashy touring production the 29-year-old Oklahoma native led into a packed-out and thoroughly “gone girly” Air Canada Centre on Sunday night, an enormous amount of money has been invested in solidifying Underwood’s burgeoning status as one of America’s most bankable A-list entertainers. And yes, by the expansive, arena-ready sound of it, an enormous amount of money also went into ensuring that her most recent album, this past May’s million-selling Blown Away, was stacked with tunes readymade to be played in expansive arenas such as the Air Canada Centre.

The deep degrees of delight and devotion Underwood inspires in her fans are pretty hard to wave off, however, when you’re plunked down in the middle of a 16,000-strong, multi-generational Ladies’ Night Out well versed and loudly reveling in every spunky, saucy reach of her Everygal songbook, from “Some Hearts” and “Before He Cheats” onto “All-American Girl” and “Cowboy Casanova” and more blustery (and violent-natured) newbies such as “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun” and “Two Black Cadillacs.” Were we to render the rise of Carrie Underwood as an equation, it would look a bit like American Idol victory + “Jesus, Take the Wheel” x “Sick of waiting for another Shania Twain album” + “Too tough of taste for Taylor Swift” = 15 million albums and 25 million singles sold worldwide. Something to that effect, anyway. You get what I’m saying: the market might be alien to most, but it is what it is and it’s definitely there. In droves.

-------------------continued at site-----------------------

Awesome Toronto review ! Carrie Underwood triumphs at the ACC - http://thestar.com http://m.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/1299970--carrie-underwood-triumphs-at-the-acc …

Thanks Tee. I don't know why the reviewer treated her like she is a pop star lol but two things that stood out the most for me:

American Idol victory + “Jesus, Take the Wheel” x “Sick of waiting for another Shania Twain album” + “Too tough of taste for Taylor Swift” = 15 million albums and 25 million singles sold worldwide
    like, lol and:

The deep degrees of delight and devotion Underwood inspires in her fans are pretty hard to wave off, however, when you’re plunked down in the middle of a 16,000-strong, multi-generational Ladies’
    Biggest crowd so far!

Concert Stars
    Ottawa: 14,000
    Toronto: 16,000

.... Canada ROCKS!
    PRGuy79, mbh, rainbow1 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    Ottawa: 14,000
    Toronto: 16,000

.... Canada ROCKS!
    I feel like she's getting more and more popular there, which is awesome to see That's probably why they have been adding more shows there, her tour is a total success.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Agree. I don't really care about the pop artist thing as long as it is a good review-- which it is!

and 160000! Wow!

Carrie is a superstar! ha ha

I really liked this guys writing style to be honest. He was funny.
    Smokyiiis, PRGuy79 and rainbow1 like this.

Well, apparently the author is a big fan of indie music, so I'd say whatever he called Carrie's music, it was a pretty good review and maybe, just maybe, he really likes Carrie now.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    I think it's a very good review. Carrie is not his cup of tea but he appreciates that there's a huge following for her and writes the review accordingly. This is how reviewers should write a great review not just write their own prejudices.

Btw, don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but there's no way that there were 16K people there. Even Taylor and Rihanna's sold out numbers were about 15K and with Carrie's big stage it will be less.

Concert Stars
    Wow, love the guys style of writing too. Energetic, clean, and plopped right down in the middle of 16000 Carrie fans..... This is a spectacular review....whatcha think, 5 stars for sure, huh?
    teesharky likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Wow, love the guys style of writing too. Energetic, clean, and plopped right down in the middle of 16000 Carrie fans..... This is a spectacular review....whatcha think, 5 stars for sure, huh?

I also like his math......"it would look a bit like American Idol victory + “Jesus, Take the Wheel” x “Sick of waiting for another Shania Twain album” + “Too tough of taste for Taylor Swift” = 15 million albums and 25 million singles sold worldwide".
    Manchs, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    I feel like she's getting more and more popular there, which is awesome to see That's probably why they have been adding more shows there, her tour is a total success.
    Agreed, we Canadian do love her......this also give her more confidence to explore the rest of the world....and which she has started doing. So happy for her.

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I think it's a very good review. Carrie is not his cup of tea but he appreciates that there's a huge following for her and writes the review accordingly. This is how reviewers should write a great review not just write their own prejudices.

Btw, don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but there's no way that there were 16K people there. Even Taylor and Rihanna's sold out numbers were about 15K and with Carrie's big stage it will be less.
    Why you gotta be so mean?

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    Why you gotta be so mean?
    Sorry. I'm gun-shy after the thread that posted the first set of boxscore numbers for the BA tour.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I don't get the greatness of this review,guess I'm not a big fan of his style.
    I do think it's a good and fair review.

16K or 13K or whatever the number turns out to be for this one - Canadians sure do love them some Carrie Underwood.
    DaisyTweets and glenn7 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    16K or 13K or whatever the number turns out to be for this one - Canadians sure do love them some Carrie Underwood.
    We do, we do and I think Carrie's team is finally catching on.

Within 7 months in Ontario Canada alone, Carrie will have performed at 7 venues.
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    We do, we do and I think Carrie's team is finally catching on.

Within 7 months in Ontario Canada alone, Carrie will have performed at 7 venues.
    I envy you all. She's shunning the south for the most part in the second leg.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    I envy you all. She's shunning the south for the most part in the second leg.
    I'm sorry Donna. I wish she would have covered both of our areas.

Concert Stars
    wow...Go Canadians! WE ROCK! XD
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm sorry Donna. I wish she would have covered both of our areas.
    Just means I have to travel a bit farther then I want.
    Glad that I'm fortunate enough to be able to.
    rainbow1 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    Glad that I'm fortunate enough to be able to.
    I'm glad. I guess you're like me, I have a separate line in my yearly budget called "Carrie". lol.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Agree. I don't really care about the pop artist thing as long as it is a good review-- which it is!

and 160000! Wow!

Carrie is a superstar! ha ha

I really liked this guys writing style to be honest. He was funny.

160k, damn, that's gotta be a record.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast