Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: NHL lockout throws wrench into Carrie Underwood, Mike Fisher's plans

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar

NHL lockout throws wrench into Carrie Underwood, Mike Fisher's plans

By: Nick Patch, The Canadian Press
    Posted: 1:27 PM

TORONTO - Carrie Underwood and her NHLer husband Mike Fisher don't see each other as much as they'd like, so she had him in mind when she scheduled her fall tour such that it would kick off right around the time Fisher was due to report for camp with the Nashville Predators.

Then, of course, the NHL lockout came along. Suddenly, Fisher was grounded in Tennessee while his 29-year-old wife played the arenas he was supposed to — including Ottawa's Scotiabank Place and Toronto's Air Canada Centre this weekend.

"I'm jealous," Underwood said with a laugh Wednesday while in Toronto, preparing for a gig in London, Ont.

"I'm like: 'Now you're home and I'm not and you're supposed to be running around — that's why I scheduled my tour for this time. But now you're home.'"

The five-time Grammy-winning country singer says Fisher can't join her on tour because he has an obligation to keep himself in shape in preparation for a potentially sudden solution to the lockout ("the places we stay, they don't always have the best fitness equipment," she explains).

And while Underwood has become pretty well-versed in the winter sport — particularly for someone who grew up in the hockey-free environs of Oklahoma — she mostly wants the NHL to return for Fisher's sake.

"I know he misses it," she said. "I will be happy when he gets back to work."

Meanwhile, Underwood has work to do herself supporting "Blown Away," the adventurous fourth album she released in May. The chart-topping disc, which has since been certified platinum in the U.S. and gold here in Canada, saw the former "American Idol" contestant taking some risks with slightly moodier material (in addition to her typically grand arena-country show-stoppers).

While she's pleased about the sales, she says she didn't need the commercial returns to validate the album.

"I felt like ('Blown Away') one way or another kind of solidified my place in country music and in music," she said.

It follows, then, that she's since felt free to branch out.

Underwood was recently cast as Maria von Trapp in an upcoming live TV broadcast version of "The Sound of Music," slated to air on NBC sometime in 2013.

Underwood, whose highest-profile acting credits previously had been small roles in the 2011 film "Soul Surfer" and the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother," says she was drawn to the audacious nature of the project, which is based on the well-liked Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.

"I love the ambitiousness that the guys putting it on had," she said. "This is really gutsy, because it's not a remake of the movie. We're doing something totally different — we're doing the musical, live on TV. Everybody's singing live. And I really respect that.

"I feel like there needs to be more live music on TV. They're bringing back hopefully a love of musicals to a whole new generation, it seems noble and it seems awesome."

That said, it's not necessarily a precursor to more acting roles for the powerhouse singer.

"I would love to do singing/acting things that go together — more stuff like this — but there's so many times where a movie is like, some aspiring singer trying to make it in the music business," she says with a laugh.

"Stuff like that has been done a lot. This just seemed like something really fresh and new and fun and challenging. I definitely intend to work very, very, very hard to do this musical justice. It deserves the utmost care and respect."

In the meantime, she'll continue touring with what she says is her longest show ever, regularly coming in around 105 minutes. She then has nearly two months off following the final date of this leg of the tour on Dec. 22 before she hits the road again.

It would seem to create an ideal break for the holidays — but Underwood sighs that any such plans are once again at the mercy of the NHL.

"I have no idea," she said of her holiday plans. "It really depends on this dang hockey schedule. All of our plans hinge on that."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...182412101.html

Concert Stars
    Carrie expresses herself soooooo beautifully!!!!!

Carrie Guru
    She was in Toronto yesterday? I guess that's why there's a random picture of her in the Toronto Star mentioning her tour being here this weekend.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by countryfan2006 View Post

By: Nick Patch, The Canadian Press
    Posted: 1:27 PM

TORONTO - Carrie Underwood and her NHLer husband Mike Fisher don't see each other as much as they'd like, so she had him in mind when she scheduled her fall tour such that it would kick off right around the time Fisher was due to report for camp with the Nashville Predators.

Then, of course, the NHL lockout came along. Suddenly, Fisher was grounded in Tennessee while his 29-year-old wife played the arenas he was supposed to — including Ottawa's Scotiabank Place and Toronto's Air Canada Centre this weekend.

"I'm jealous," Underwood said with a laugh Wednesday while in Toronto, preparing for a gig in London, Ont.

"I'm like: 'Now you're home and I'm not and you're supposed to be running around — that's why I scheduled my tour for this time. But now you're home.'"

The five-time Grammy-winning country singer says Fisher can't join her on tour because he has an obligation to keep himself in shape in preparation for a potentially sudden solution to the lockout ("the places we stay, they don't always have the best fitness equipment," she explains).

And while Underwood has become pretty well-versed in the winter sport — particularly for someone who grew up in the hockey-free environs of Oklahoma — she mostly wants the NHL to return for Fisher's sake.

"I know he misses it," she said. "I will be happy when he gets back to work."

Meanwhile, Underwood has work to do herself supporting "Blown Away," the adventurous fourth album she released in May. The chart-topping disc, which has since been certified platinum in the U.S. and gold here in Canada, saw the former "American Idol" contestant taking some risks with slightly moodier material (in addition to her typically grand arena-country show-stoppers).

While she's pleased about the sales, she says she didn't need the commercial returns to validate the album.

"I felt like ('Blown Away') one way or another kind of solidified my place in country music and in music," she said.

It follows, then, that she's since felt free to branch out.

Underwood was recently cast as Maria von Trapp in an upcoming live TV broadcast version of "The Sound of Music," slated to air on NBC sometime in 2013.

Underwood, whose highest-profile acting credits previously had been small roles in the 2011 film "Soul Surfer" and the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother," says she was drawn to the audacious nature of the project, which is based on the well-liked Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.

"I love the ambitiousness that the guys putting it on had," she said. "This is really gutsy, because it's not a remake of the movie. We're doing something totally different — we're doing the musical, live on TV. Everybody's singing live. And I really respect that.

"I feel like there needs to be more live music on TV. They're bringing back hopefully a love of musicals to a whole new generation, it seems noble and it seems awesome."

That said, it's not necessarily a precursor to more acting roles for the powerhouse singer.

"I would love to do singing/acting things that go together — more stuff like this — but there's so many times where a movie is like, some aspiring singer trying to make it in the music business," she says with a laugh.

"Stuff like that has been done a lot. This just seemed like something really fresh and new and fun and challenging. I definitely intend to work very, very, very hard to do this musical justice. It deserves the utmost care and respect."

In the meantime, she'll continue touring with what she says is her longest show ever, regularly coming in around 105 minutes. She then has nearly two months off following the final date of this leg of the tour on Dec. 22 before she hits the road again.

It would seem to create an ideal break for the holidays — but Underwood sighs that any such plans are once again at the mercy of the NHL.

"I have no idea," she said of her holiday plans. "It really depends on this dang hockey schedule. All of our plans hinge on that."

NHL lockout throws wrench into Carrie Underwood, Mike Fisher's plans - Winnipeg Free Press

"Big Hairy Audacious Goals" - spend MORE TIME, spend MORE ENERGY and spend MORE IMAGINATION using her EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT - CARRIE UNDERWOOD.

"For better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkerred by failure, than to take rank with those POOR SPIRITS who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that KNOWS NOT VICTORY, NOR DEFEAT." - THEODORE ROOSEVELT, 1899.

KUDOS to Carrie!

Concert Stars
    Very good interview. I love Carrie's comments. She is fired up, hungry, and ready to work her butt off to do a great job on this! That is what I want to hear.

Cannot wait!
    carrieguy2, mbh and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Can we agree that Mike is not out of work, that he is really just on sabbatical.
    rainbow1, teesharky and HuiZ like this.

Concert Stars
    lol Well at least his shoulder should be 100%. lol A whole year off to rest it.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    i say we close this article before hockey fans jump off a cliff over today....

Thanks Players (ALL) and Owners (ALL) for completely screwing your fans over again and again... really appreciate it!

Ok don't really need to close the article but know I may come in here and scream how I hate mike, the lightning players (my team) and all the other players and owners a couple of times.

Enjoy your husband for the whole year because the NHL season is GONE!
    CrazyDreams1818, Cps235 and JB172 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by knewman19 View Post
    i say we close this article before hockey fans jump off a cliff over today....

Thanks Players (ALL) and Owners (ALL) for completely screwing your fans over again and again... really appreciate it!

Ok don't really need to close the article but know I may come in here and scream how I hate mike, the lightning players (my team) and all the other players and owners a couple of times.

Enjoy your husband for the whole year because the NHL season is GONE!
    It sure looks like that is where things are headed, it's hard to believe that both sides can be that damn stupid to throw away two whole seasons in less than 10 years but it looks like that is what is going to happen.

Concert Stars
    I thought I heard in the news that there was indication that they were close to making a deal. Not right?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I thought I heard in the news that there was indication that they were close to making a deal. Not right?
    Yeah um no.... not after todays nuclear bomb dropping

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I'm starting to think that Mike should just retire. At this rate the NHL coud be dead. He's got way too much to offer the world to sit around waiting for who knows how long.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by knewman19 View Post
    Yeah um no.... not after todays nuclear bomb dropping
    I didn't watch the news tonight, this was last night when I heard it. Oh great, as was said I can't believe this is what it comes to.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'm starting to think that Mike should just retire. At this rate the NHL coud be dead. He's got way too much to offer the world to sit around waiting for who knows how long.
    Does this year count on his two year contract? If so that only leaves next year, there have been hints from Carrie and Mike that he'll retire after this contract. Of course when that happens and Carrie is finished with whatever project she has going, out will come the baby bump watchers.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    Does this year count on his two year contract? If so that only leaves next year, there have been hints from Carrie and Mike that he'll retire after this contract. Of course when that happens and Carrie is finished with whatever project she has going, out will come the baby bump watchers.
    This would have been the last year on his old contract. The two year new contract starts next year.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    This would have been the last year on his old contract. The two year new contract starts next year.
    Ah got it, that is if there is a next year.

Concert Stars
    Is hockey over forever? Thanx, union BS and owner BS. So annoying.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Is hockey over forever? Thanx, union BS and owner BS. So annoying.
    It's probably realistically not over forever but this season may well be lost. They were supposedly making progress yesterday then everything blew up this afternoon. It's hard to tell if it is posturing or they really have given up. Supposedly the owners were 'insulted' by the players latest offer. I'm not sure why and I'm not sure why they didn't keep negotiating rather than just call the whole thing off. Apparently the owners are adamant about a maximum of five years for contracts. I'm not sure why that is so important since I don't think there is anything requiring longer contracts only allowing them.

Concert Stars
    Does he get paid this year, with them not playing? What was the nuclear bomb? We don't get much Hockey news out here in Okla.

Concert Stars
    Well, from the comments on different stories, most fans are really fed up with both of the sides. People who work during the season are not working and their families are suffering. I don't understand how these two sides cannot compromise. Idiotic is what it is.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast