Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree26Likes
  • 13 Post By teesharky
  • 6 Post By judes
  • 3 Post By mbh
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 2 Post By opry051008

Thread: Albany New York Concert Review: Times Union Paper :)

  1. #1
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,708
    Concert Stars

    Albany New York Concert Review: Times Union Paper :)

    y GREG HAYMES ALBANY – Blown Away.

    It’s the title of Carrie Underwood’s latest album.

    And it’s – not coincidentally – the name of her current tour, which made a stop at the Times Union Center in downtown Albany on Tuesday night.
    But it also serves as a damn good review of her concert.

    There were a couple of missteps along the way, but for the most part, the Season Four “American Idol” champion delivered a top-notch arena-rock performance with all of the bells and whistles that you might expect – with a couple of surprises along the way.
    Along with the inaugural season winner Kelly Clarkson, Underwood has certainly become one of the two top “Idol” alums, and while her focus has been on country music, we all know that contemporary country certainly isn’t limited to twang-laced songs about drinkin’ and cheatin’ anymore.
    Backed by an eight-piece band that moved all around the arena stage on magnificent, mobile, modular platforms, Underwood went through five different stage costumes during her hour and 45-minute blockbuster performance. Her vocal firepower was equal to her fashion sense, and she fired up rock sing-alongs (“Undo It”), stellar ballads (a splendid cover of Randy Travis’ “I Told You So”), contemporary gospel (“Jesus Take the Wheel”), straight-up rock anthems (“Cowboy Cassanova”) and high school homecoming rallying cries (“All American Girl”) with equal aplomb.

    She managed to mix up such decidedly non-country influences as Afro-pop (“Nobody Ever Told You”) and reggae (“one Way Ticket”). And she earned big props from the crowd by dedicating the deeply emotional “Temporary Home” to the Shenendehowa/Shaker students involved in last weeknd’s fatal car accident.


    But the big photo-op moment of the night was when she and half of her band lifted off the stage and floated over the crowd (seemingly supported by a batch of gigantic Japanese lanterns) while belting out such nuggets as “Thank God for Hometowns,” “Crazy Dreams” and “Do You Think About Me,” before landing back on main-stage turf for a celebratory “One Way Ticket,” during which the crowd was bombarded with giant beach balls, Hawaiian leis and oodles of confetti.


    But it was the final encore of “Blown Away” that really knocked the socks off of the crowd, with a stunning visual display from the set and projection designers, as the faux torando blew away the faux interior of the midwestern farm house before our eyes. The visuals were nearly as powerful as Underwood’s vocals, and she (and her crack tech team) made sure we knew we weren’t in Kansas anymore…

    (continued at site)


    Carrie Underwood at the Times Union Center, 12/4/12 - Arts Talk - Capital Region arts and entertainment news - timesunion.com - Albany NY

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    The reviewer sounds like he was knocked off his feet by the concert - great ! He's right, the production on the Blown Away material combined with Carrie's vocals is an event in itself - great review!

  • #3
    Insane Carrie Fan liz278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,335
    Concert Stars
    Another great review!

  • #4
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Smokyiiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    6,430
    Concert Stars
    Wonder what the heck he meant by: There were a couple of missteps along the way?
    He talked glowingly about everything so why in the world did he put these nine words in the beginning of his article?

  • #5
    mbh
    mbh is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    y GREG HAYMES ALBANY – Blown Away.

    It’s the title of Carrie Underwood’s latest album.

    And it’s – not coincidentally – the name of her current tour, which made a stop at the Times Union Center in downtown Albany on Tuesday night.
    But it also serves as a damn good review of her concert.

    There were a couple of missteps along the way, but for the most part, the Season Four “American Idol” champion delivered a top-notch arena-rock performance with all of the bells and whistles that you might expect – with a couple of surprises along the way.
    Along with the inaugural season winner Kelly Clarkson, Underwood has certainly become one of the two top “Idol” alums, and while her focus has been on country music, we all know that contemporary country certainly isn’t limited to twang-laced songs about drinkin’ and cheatin’ anymore.
    Backed by an eight-piece band that moved all around the arena stage on magnificent, mobile, modular platforms, Underwood went through five different stage costumes during her hour and 45-minute blockbuster performance. Her vocal firepower was equal to her fashion sense, and she fired up rock sing-alongs (“Undo It”), stellar ballads (a splendid cover of Randy Travis’ “I Told You So”), contemporary gospel (“Jesus Take the Wheel”), straight-up rock anthems (“Cowboy Cassanova”) and high school homecoming rallying cries (“All American Girl”) with equal aplomb.

    She managed to mix up such decidedly non-country influences as Afro-pop (“Nobody Ever Told You”) and reggae (“one Way Ticket”). And she earned big props from the crowd by dedicating the deeply emotional “Temporary Home” to the Shenendehowa/Shaker students involved in last weeknd’s fatal car accident.


    But the big photo-op moment of the night was when she and half of her band lifted off the stage and floated over the crowd (seemingly supported by a batch of gigantic Japanese lanterns) while belting out such nuggets as “Thank God for Hometowns,” “Crazy Dreams” and “Do You Think About Me,” before landing back on main-stage turf for a celebratory “One Way Ticket,” during which the crowd was bombarded with giant beach balls, Hawaiian leis and oodles of confetti.


    But it was the final encore of “Blown Away” that really knocked the socks off of the crowd, with a stunning visual display from the set and projection designers, as the faux torando blew away the faux interior of the midwestern farm house before our eyes. The visuals were nearly as powerful as Underwood’s vocals, and she (and her crack tech team) made sure we knew we weren’t in Kansas anymore…

    (continued at site)


    Carrie Underwood at the Times Union Center, 12/4/12 - Arts Talk - Capital Region arts and entertainment news - timesunion.com - Albany NY
    Awesome! ANOTHER fantastic review!
    rainbow1, teesharky and jbrown like this.

  • #6
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,359
    Concert Stars
    Saw the tweets from Tee last night! I think she was knocked off her feet too!!

  • #7
    Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,059
    Tee tweeted her smart phone to death!

  • #8
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    wonderful review!!

  • #9
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Wonder what the heck he meant by: There were a couple of missteps along the way?
    He talked glowingly about everything so why in the world did he put these nine words in the beginning of his article?
    I agree. Either explain yourself or leave the sentence out.

    Btw, "The crowd: Despite the fact that there were a lot of cowboy hats in the crowd, it was a pretty mainstream arena-pop audience." How on earth did the reviewer know that it was mainly a mainstream arena-pop audience?
    Gator and Smokyiiis like this.

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Smokyiiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    6,430
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I agree. Either explain yourself or leave the sentence out.

    Btw, "The crowd: Despite the fact that there were a lot of cowboy hats in the crowd, it was a pretty mainstream arena-pop audience." How on earth did the reviewer know that it was mainly a mainstream arena-pop audience?
    Excellent question! And yes, I agree that he should have left that entire sentence out of his review. Instead he says it at the very beginning like: TAKE THAT! then immediately sings high praises of the entire night (how could it possibly be otherwise, it's CARRIE for goodness sake!)

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Wow, this is an excellent, very well-written review.

    I'm stoked that Carrie is finally getting the respect she deserves from critics; she has come a long way, and it shows.

    I especially loved these parts:

    And she earned big props from the crowd by dedicating the deeply emotional “Temporary Home” to the Shenendehowa/Shaker students involved in last weeknd’s fatal car accident.

    But it was the final encore of “Blown Away” that really knocked the socks off of the crowd, with a stunning visual display from the set and projection designers, as the faux torando blew away the faux interior of the midwestern farm house before our eyes. The visuals were nearly as powerful as Underwood’s vocals, and she (and her crack tech team) made sure we knew we weren’t in Kansas anymore…


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. [Dec 4 2012] Albany, NY Times Union Center
      By opry051008 in forum Concerts & Events: Reviews, Photos & Videos
      Replies: 65
      Last Post: 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •