Country Universe - Concert Review: Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes

Concert Review: Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes
    by Kevin John Coyne

Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes

The Blown Away Tour
    Prudential Center
    Newark, NJ
    December 1, 2012

There’s a desirable sweet spot in every big performer’s career where they finally have a large number of hits to fill out a two-hour show, a compelling enough current album to sustain audience interest between the hits, and the appropriate level of earned confidence to take some bold risks in staging and presentation.

Carrie Underwood just hit that sweet spot. Her Blown Away Tour hit Newark on Saturday, playing to an arena packed with fans of all ages. It’s an arena show, too, filled with pyrotechnics and special effects and a backing band that shook the cheap seats on the more rocking numbers. Opening with “Good Girl�, Underwood tore through an opening section which included a healthy mix of hits from all four of her studio albums.
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Concert Review: Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes

My favorite paragraph:

When you combine her precision with the very few liberties the band took with the studio arrangements, and you could be forgiven for thinking you were listening to an actual studio recording. She really is that good. She somehow elevated the fan favorite “I Know You Won’t” to staggering new heights, and that’s a song that seemed superhuman even as a studio recording. I repeat, she really is that good. But most impressive was when she revisited older tracks like “Jesus, Take the Wheel” and “Wasted”, and actually improved on them, showing how much she has grown in interpretive skill and vocal nuance since the beginning of her career.

A couple of moments in the review I didn't necessarily agree with, but overall a fantastic review. I particularly loved this part:

she just might be the most significant country artist of her time, in addition to being the flat-out best singer.

Concert Stars
    And that's just about the best flat out review that I've ever read!!! thank you, Kevin!!!

Concert Stars
    That was an outstanding review! I hope Carrie reads it! Best one yet!
    Cathie Wynkoop and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Has Flat On The Floor been added to the setlist?! or is that a typo?! LOL DON'T TEASE ME COUNTRY UNIVERSE!

Concert Stars
    I loved this review! Thanks for posting!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yes thanks and thanks to Tee for tweeting it to Carrie! Awesome review!

I'll take this quote too:

When you combine her precision with the very few liberties the band took with the studio arrangements, and you could be forgiven for thinking you were listening to an actual studio recording. She really is that good. She somehow elevated the fan favorite “I Know You Won’t” to staggering new heights, and that’s a song that seemed superhuman even as a studio recording. I repeat, she really is that good. But most impressive was when she revisited older tracks like “Jesus, Take the Wheel” and “Wasted”, and actually improved on them, showing how much she has grown in interpretive skill and vocal nuance since the beginning of her career.
    rainbow1, Smokyiiis, Gator and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Another great review.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Wow. Truly a great review.

Huge Carrie Follower
    i have been a solid/faithful carrie underwood fan since day one. for the past 7 years, there was never a day when I didn't pray that the critics, industry, and casual listeners give her the recognition and kudos which she so greatly deserves. There was a time in the beginning when this was true, but that was because she was a a new artist and she just caught everyone off-guard. As a continuing artist, this is more difficult.

But i can still see a glimmer of hope.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I am so very encouraged by the sheer numbers of fantastic reviews this tour. I hope Carrie is on cloud nine as it is obvious how hard she is working to obtaibn her goals. The Detroit review was just as good, maybe better. Love it...
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Concert Stars
    I absolutely love this review and am delighted that Kevin not only WENT to see Carrie in NJ but that he wrote about his experience in this review and shared it on the Country Universe page. They are well respected there. Especially love how much he enjoyed IKYW and many others.....
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILHUNK View Post
    i have been a solid/faithful carrie underwood fan since day one. for the past 7 years, there was never a day when I didn't pray that the critics, industry, and casual listeners give her the recognition and kudos which she so greatly deserves. There was a time in the beginning when this was true, but that was because she was a a new artist and she just caught everyone off-guard. As a continuing artist, this is more difficult.

But i can still see a glimmer of hope.
    I have the same feeling as you Neilhunk.....but on the other hand, I'm also a bit of "old school".. Those awards are great to have....but I think what she having now are more rewarding than the thropies. Now more people, from all areas, appreciate her and her music more also realize how great her vocals are. She is establishing herself and she is here to stay....not something here and hear today and gone tomorrow. Plus the rest of world is getting to know her now..
    NEILHUNK likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I agree on all counts. getting awards and gaining new fans years after your opening salvo, makes it all the more sweeter. because it means they continue to value you.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    what a great review!!

"most significant country artist of her time"
    he got that right
    DaisyTweets and glenn7 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    WOW!! Great review, they just keep coming. The reviewer is just telling us fans facts we have known for a very long time now.
    DaisyTweets and maddkat like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ agreed!!!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitocco View Post
    Has Flat On The Floor been added to the setlist?! or is that a typo?! LOL DON'T TEASE ME COUNTRY UNIVERSE!
    May be Carrie added FOTF to her setlist because when I when to Carrie's concerts in October here in California I didn't hear Carrie sing FOTF.

Concert Stars
    I love FOTF but I have to say I love SS much more. I'll just be delighted to hear her sing whatever the heck she feels like singing when she comes my way in the Spring!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast