Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Review: Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away' tour establishes the former 'American Idol' w

Concert Stars

Review: Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away' tour establishes the former 'American Idol' w

By John Gonzalez

AUBURN HILLS, MI -- From the day aspiring country singer Carrie Underwood blew into living rooms as a contestant on "American Idol," the Oklahoma native set out to do it all:

Tour, record, win awards, write hit songs and at the same time establish herself as a leading lady in country music.

Of course, the often shy singer with a goofy sense of humor -- watch her the next time she co-hosts the Country Music Awards with duet partner Brad Paisley -- might not come out and directly say she wants to be the next Loretta Lynn or Reba McEntire

But her nearly two-hour, 22-song set Sunday night at The Palace of Auburn Hills clearly establishes herself as country music's best female entertainer.

That's meant as no disrespect to hard-driving country star Miranda Lambert or pop princess Taylor Swift. But Carrie Underwood combines both styles into a flawless masterpiece that she only defines.

Her current "Blown Away" tour is a mix of modern technology, multi-media elements, traditional country music, high fashion and great music, all backed by a talented seven-member ensemble of musicians and vocalists.

She plays all the hits, dating back to her 2005 smash "Jesus Take the Wheel" right on through "Blown Away," which is the title track of her current multi-platinum album and the night's fitting encore.

She connects with the fans on every level; at times waving to audience members while in the middle of a song or talking about how those "American Idol" auditions in St. Louis changed her life forever.

Female fans make up the majority of her fan base: Teens in plaid shirts and cowboy hats, twentysomethings in boots and a skirt, and moms bringing their young daughters.

Carrie Underwood pays homage to traditional country, singing her remake of Randy Travis' masterpiece "I Told You So," then tosses back her golden locks on a cover of Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion."

And she changes costumes often enough to make Reba proud.
    "The Blown Away" tour is a complete package of pop, rock and Carrie Underwood at her best. And at the heart of her show is that powerful, God-given voice.

Opening the show is country newcomer and recent winner of the American Music Awards Best New Artist, Hunter Hayes. Many of those female fans were there just for him. He's a natural showman who is creating quite a stir in country music.

Singles such as "Storm Warning" and "Wanted" have made him a breakout star. But it's clear he has a lot more going for him than just a smile that makes the young girls scream.

He's a talented guitarist, songwriter and even duet partner, returning to the stage to sing "Leave Love Alone" with Carrie Underwood. The young fans ate it up.

http://www.mlive.com/entertain...nderwoods_blown.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    By John Gonzalez

Of course, the often shy singer with a goofy sense of humor -- watch her the next time she co-hosts the Country Music Awards with duet partner Brad Paisley -- might not come out and directly say she wants to be the next Loretta Lynn or Reba McEntire

But her nearly two-hour, 22-song set Sunday night at The Palace of Auburn Hills clearly establishes herself as country music's best female entertainer.

That's meant as no disrespect to hard-driving country star Miranda Lambert or pop princess Taylor Swift. But Carrie Underwood combines both styles into a flawless masterpiece that she only defines.

Her current "Blown Away" tour is a mix of modern technology, multi-media elements, traditional country music, high fashion and great music, all backed by a talented seven-member ensemble of musicians and vocalists.
    "The Blown Away" tour is a complete package of pop, rock and Carrie Underwood at her best. And at the heart of her show is that powerful, God-given voice.
    This has to be my favorite review thus far! This guy had lots of nice things to say

Concert Stars
    Excellent review!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Super Review!!!

Concert Stars
    This might be my favorite review ever!!
    Suellen and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I liked it!!

Concert Stars
    Can we plaster this everywhere?!!!!!!!!

Concert Stars
    Definitely one of my favourite reviews!! Thanks for posting!
    Suellen likes this.

Concert Stars
    Fantastic write-up! There is no doubt that Carrie is the best vocalist and entertainer. It is so nice to see it acknowledged by a critic.
    DizzyDollyDee and Suellen like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Love a critic who knows his business and appreciates an awesome artist - I'd give him a pay raise if I could!!!hahaha

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Very cool review

Concert Stars
    Oh my goodness, a reviewer who has his facts correct?! :O no way.
    lol, superb review. I especially liked the part where he called Blown Away multi-platinum
    liveasong, Suellen and carriefan13 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    A great and glowing review. Thanks for posting. John Gonzalez didn't end his review, like so many, with Before fHe Cheats. He actually stayed and saw the entire show, and what a great concert it was.
    Suellen likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow love it! I'd love to see this kind of review after every single solitary tour stop!!!!

Carrie Guru
    Aaah, I've been saying this for a long time

Concert Stars
    amazing review!

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    You guys....carrie and miranda just rt the story :d
    LAMBERT.jpg

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Amazing review! Bummed I couldn't see the show, but I'm crossing my fingers I can go when she comes around in April.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    By John Gonzalez

AUBURN HILLS, MI -- From the day aspiring country singer Carrie Underwood blew into living rooms as a contestant on "American Idol," the Oklahoma native set out to do it all:

Tour, record, win awards, write hit songs and at the same time establish herself as a leading lady in country music.

She plays all the hits, dating back to her 2005 smash "Jesus Take the Wheel" right on through "Blown Away," which is the title track of her current multi-platinum album and the night's fitting encore.

She connects with the fans on every level; at times waving to audience members while in the middle of a song or talking about how those "American Idol" auditions in St. Louis changed her life forever.

Female fans make up the majority of her fan base: Teens in plaid shirts and cowboy hats, twentysomethings in boots and a skirt, and moms bringing their young daughters.

Carrie Underwood pays homage to traditional country, singing her remake of Randy Travis' masterpiece "I Told You So," then tosses back her golden locks on a cover of Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion."

And she changes costumes often enough to make Reba proud.

Opening the show is country newcomer and recent winner of the American Music Awards Best New Artist, Hunter Hayes. Many of those female fans were there just for him. He's a natural showman who is creating quite a stir in country music.

Singles such as "Storm Warning" and "Wanted" have made him a breakout star. But it's clear he has a lot more going for him than just a smile that makes the young girls scream.

He's a talented guitarist, songwriter and even duet partner, returning to the stage to sing "Leave Love Alone" with Carrie Underwood. The young fans ate it up.

http://www.mlive.com/entertain...nderwoods_blown.html
    WOW! Fantastic review! "Carrie Underwood" is "THE BEST OF THE BEST". Carrie ALSO has "THE BEST OF THE BEST" husband, Mike Fisher. Carrie ALSO has "THE BEST OF THE BEST" "best friend", Brad Paisely. Thank you so much, "Jesus" - for taking the wheel of Carrie's LIFE.
    Suellen likes this.

Concert Stars
    It was an amazing show. I haven't seen her live in a while and was 'blown away' but how much better she gets year after year. This is a review from The Detroit News.

Yes, there was a flying stage, and the production was packed with all sorts of moving video screens that morphed into different shapes and configurations.
    But behind the razzle-dazzle at Carrie Underwood's concert at The Palace of Auburn Hills Sunday, there was something almost quaint about the show. The focus was on Underwood, the 29-year-old former "American Idol" winner, as she sang songs from her four hit albums. Take away the tricks and doo-dads and the show could have unfolded at a tiny country western club.
    Underwood, to her credit, sang live for the entirety of the 23-song, 110-minute show, and was in good voice throughout. Vocally, the highlight came during the encore, when Underwood sat down at the edge of a bed on stage for "I Know You Won't," a ballad from her "Carnival Ride" album. She gave the kind of assured, bravura performance that helped her win the "Idol" crown in 2005.
    Elsewhere, Underwood performed a mix of upbeat songs, ballads and bad girl anthems, backed by her sturdy seven-piece band and a single backup singer. She went through several costume changes, mostly wearing a series of gowns fit for a march down a red carpet, and she slipped into a T-shirt and a pair of cut-off jeans when taking to a stage that flew over the floor crowd for a six-song set in the middle of the concert.
    Underwood isn't a dancer, and she didn't try to fake her way through any choreography at the show. She sang her songs and sang them well, and gave the crowd of around 12,000 plenty to be happy about.
    Opener Hunter Hayes joined Underwood for a duet of "Leave Love Alone," and Underwood showed off her rock side with a feisty cover of Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" late in the show. She closed the night with "Blown Away," the title track from her 2012 album, and even as she was surrounded by the flying debris from an on-stage mock tornado, her vocals were still the star of the night.
    agraham@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: Review: Carrie Underwood shines in Sunday concert at The Palace | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast