Like Tree19Likes
  • 12 Post By gaycarebear
  • 1 Post By opry051008
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By HuiZ

Thread: Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley would rather host the CMA Awards than win

Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley would rather host the CMA Awards than win

Country superstars Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley hilariously hosted the 46th Annual CMA Awards on Thursday, November 1, for the fifth year running. Despite a dip in the overall ratings, the night was a huge success for ABC by scoring its top non-sports Thursday in over three years.

Paisley and Underwood, who have racked up a whopping 19 CMA awards combined, chatted to Action 7 News Detroit immediately following Country Music's Biggest Night. When asked if the two would rather win awards or host the event, Underwood admitted that "awards are wonderful." However, the "Blown Away" singer also noted that it's a great feeling being a Country music ambassador on the show. She continued:

"Please don't make it sound like I'm downplaying those at all [awards]. But, you know, we're kind of ambassadors for the entire format, and I really like that responsibility."

Known for his straight-faced dry humor, Paisley chimed in, commenting that they would "both give up the chance to even win one just to be able to host this."

Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley would rather host the CMA Awards than win - National Carrie Underwood | Examiner.com

Concert Stars
    if Carrie feels that way it makes me feel better!

Carrie Guru
    Jason, although this interview was aired on 7 news after the CMA's the interview itself actually took place before the CMA's.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Jason, although this interview was aired on 7 news after the CMA's the interview itself actually took place before the CMA's.
    that does make a difference.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That is so cool if only Carrie and Brad would host the ACMs then they are ambassadors for that award show too who agrees with me?

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    LIKE "Carrie and Brad" - I am EXTREMELY HAPPY FOR THEM to host the CMA AWARDS for a long time (ENDURING and SUBSTANTIAL - WORTHY OF LASTING) - EVEN WITHOUT winning the awards. THEY can EFFECTIVELY REPRESENT country music as "TRUE and GENUINE AMBASSADORS" of the genre for the TELEVISION AUDIENCE - using THEIR EXTRAORDINARY "CHEMISTRY and CREATIVITY". THE BEST OF THE BEST reviews of the PRESS about "their hosting" last November 01, 2012 SPEAKS VOLUMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    They're not saying they don't want awards (and it's only natural to feel disappointment if you're nominated, go through the build up, and then aren't called), - but what they are saying makes a lot of sense.

They're the anchors of the show - two artists out of all the people who could have been chosen - they're looking increasingly a "long term fit" for that role, and they've had good reviews for the job they do (this year, better than ever.). They're on screen for far longer than the award winners, and longer than the performers (not forgetting that they were performers themselves, in addition to the hosting role). They're the ones who had the big exposure, and made the big impact (I've already forgotten some of the detail of who won what, and would have to look it up to check - but no one who watched the show could really have forgotten Carrie and Brad). I'm not saying every artist would want to be in their place (there are skills and stresses involved) - but on purely career grounds, many artists would pass up an award to be given that amount of exposure.

Carrie also gets additional publicity for the costume changes, designed for TV spectaculars, watched for by many viewers, and all over the follow-up media (obviously, for some, there may be sexism arguments in the sociology of that media fixation, but from the perspective of a career entertainer - it was Carrie, not the winners, who got the bigger media buzz for that visual impact)

Also Carrie has often talked about her love for Country Music, and she's used the term "ambassador" before. I think that's important to her, and she does appreciate both the challenge and opportunity to take that role.

So, yes, there will, naturally, be disappointment - but I'd guess it's quite fleeting. There are many more things to think about (and several more award shows in the year ahead). I'd also guess that we fans are probably the ones feeling the disappointment most.

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    "Please don't make it sound like I'm downplaying those at all [awards]. But, you know, we're kind of ambassadors for the entire format, and I really like that responsibility."
    She has been an ambassador for the format since Idol days. One would think that's enough responsibility over the years to nab an EOTY nom. lol
    liz278 and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I kinda hope she feels like that because hosting is awesome!

•