Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By Ann055
  • 2 Post By teesharky
  • 2 Post By epicamends

Thread: Carrie Underwood: "It's a Fun Time for Country"

Carrie Underwood: "It's a Fun Time for Country"

Carrie Underwood: 'It's a fun time for country' - latimes.com

Carrie Underwood performs with her band on stage at Staples Center. (Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times / October 17, 2012)

By Gerrick D. Kennedy
    November 2, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

Sure, Carrie Underwood might have lost out to brassy spitfire Miranda Lambert at the 46th Country Music Assn. Awards in Nashville on Thursday. But the host – who pulled off the duty for a fifth time with fellow country star Brad Paisley – is reveling in all the attention the genre is currently getting.

With country-pop sweetheart Taylor Swift sitting at the top of the Billboard charts, a soapy ABC drama anchored in Nashville and Underwood's tour itinerary expanding – this year included her first dates in Europe and Australia and she extended the regularly sold-out trek well into 2013 – Underwood boasts, “It’s a fun time for country.”

When we caught up with Underwood ahead of her recent “Blown Away” tour stop and CMA gig (CMT will re-broadcast the ceremony Nov. 19 at 9 p.m.) she weighed in on all the attention Nashville has been getting.

This tour was your first to go internationally. Country is so closely associated with America, were you at all nervous about how you would be received in Europe and Australia?

Australia was definitely open to it, they have Keith Urban and they were really open to us. I wasn’t too worried about Australia, but I was about going to the U.K. I pictured just a lot of British people in the audience singing my song back to me -- and it was hard for me to envision. But it was really great. Everywhere we went there were fans waiting outside. I was pleasantly surprised at the reception.

A common criticism in your genre is when artists gravitate toward pop sounds. How do you balance between tradition and achieving crossover success?

I grew up listening to everything. I have such a love for music, but I don't want to make the same album over and over again. I love that I can sing a song like “Blown Away” and then turn around and sing a song like “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun.” One has this amazing country story line with the music that fits the song. I’m not gonna try to make it something that it's not. I'm not gonna think, 'I need to "countrify" this by adding more fiddles and steel guitar.' We do creatively what the song wants. And “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun.” you couldn’t get more country than that.

I love being able to explore like that. When a song like 'Before He Cheats,' 'Blown Away' or 'Cowboy Casanova' manages to have some crossover success, it does it 'as is.' I've never been one for doing remixes. Then I've gotta decide which version am I gonna be tonight: country Carrie or pop Carrie? I'd rather just make country music that anybody can get into no matter what they listen to."

NOTE: Please click link to read remainder of article. Also, there are photos from the CMAs as well.

Carrie Underwood: 'It's a fun time for country' - latimes.com

Concert Stars
    Nice article! Thanx!
    Ann055 and rainbow1 like this.

I love this quote:

I grew up listening to everything. I have such a love for music, but I don't want to make the same album over and over again. I love that I can sing a song like “Blown Away” and then turn around and sing a song like “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun.” One has this amazing country story line with the music that fits the song. I’m not gonna try to make it something that it's not. I'm not gonna think, 'I need to "countrify" this by adding more fiddles and steel guitar.' We do creatively what the song wants. And “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun.” you couldn’t get more country than that.

I love being able to explore like that. When a song like 'Before He Cheats,' 'Blown Away' or 'Cowboy Casanova' manages to have some crossover success, it does it 'as is.' I've never been one for doing remixes. Then I've gotta decide which version am I gonna be tonight: country Carrie or pop Carrie? I'd rather just make country music that anybody can get into no matter what they listen to.
    Ann055 and liz278 like this.

Concert Stars
    loving all these awesome articles!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Keep those great articles comin

•