Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

Here are the Carrie parts. But I suggest you read the whole are as there are some other interesting comments.

Best Hosts: There really aren’t enough superlatives to describe the effervescent duo of Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood — they’re simply the best. If you were to look through the last five years of Oscar/Grammy/Tony/Emmy telecasts, you’d be hard pressed to find one joke that could compete with Paisleywood’s opening monologue. Their goofy (and increasingly saucy) hosting style always brings the laughs, and they keep the show moving briskly. On top of that, they both performed their own singles, delivered heartfelt tributes to Andy Griffith and Connie Smith, and demonstrated impressive “Gangnam Style” technique. Do better than that, Seth MacFarlane.
    Worst Losing Facial Expression: While we’re on the subject of Underwood losing to Lambert in that category, we may as well talk about her wounded disposition when her name was not called. The Idol winner has always struggled to pick up brass at awards shows, but last night, one really got the feeling than Underwood, who’s publicly proud of Blown Away, thought she might finally take home the Female Vocalist trophy. Alas, it was not meant to be. I’m not accusing Underwood of being a sore loser — you could just read all over her face that she truly wanted the validation.
    Best Pipes: Carrie Underwood may not have won Female Vocalist of the Year, but she certainly performed like one. (And EW readers named her most deserving in yesterday’s poll.) “Blown Away” is no easy vocal, but Underwood sang the windswept single with her gigantic belting voice (that last note!) and ample dramatic gusto. In terms of range-stretching, note-pummeling power, Underwood was second to none last night.
    Full article: CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast | The Music Mix | EW.com

Does someone have the video of the FVOTY announcement? When they were announcing the nominees, my stream froze, so I didn't see Carrie's face.

Thanks for posting, Cary.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    Does someone have the video of the FVOTY announcement? When they were announcing the nominees, my stream froze, so I didn't see Carrie's face.

Thanks for posting, Cary.
    I think someone posted it in CMA thread. I thought she looked disappointed that she did not win. As the article stated it just looked liked she really wanted to win this one.
    Manchs and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    It wasn't bad. She smiled but you could tell she was disappointed.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
    It wasn't bad. She smiled but you could tell she was disappointed.
    I totally agree it wasn't bad but I really felt for her and I guess that is why her not winning upset me last night. I really wanted that win for her!

She is probably thinking like the rest of us what do I have to do to win an award again. I know awards aren't everthing but dang its been 4 years now since she has won one.

Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    I think someone posted it in CMA thread. I thought she looked disappointed that she did not win. As the article stated it just looked liked she really wanted to win this one.
    Thanks. I decided to click the link and there was a video. You could tell she was nervous and disappointed. Can't blame her.
    nccountrygal and rainbow1 like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    FANTASTIC article! Thank you so much. "Carrie and Brad" is THE BEST OF THE BEST in - "Chemistry in hosting CMA Awards", "VOCALS" and "Creating SOMETHING BIGGER, MORE OUTSTANDING and MORE LASTING "CREATIVITY" AND "can stimulate CHANGE and PROGRESS". As long as their FRIENDSHIP and CHEMISTRY is "ENDURING and SUBSTANTIAL" - I am EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!!!! "Carrie and Brad" is SOMETHING FAR MORE IMPORTANT - "WORTHY OF LASTING"!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not care about the awards.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Carrie seemed sad before the winner was even announced.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Honestly, I think Carrie feels worse for us. She knows how bad we want her to win these awards. I just hope she doesn't blame herself because it's not her fault at all!!!! She is the best, and we all know it. and that's what really matters...when the ones you love performing for, love all that you do
    teesharky and carriefan13 like this.

Concert Stars
    I think alittle more is being made of the face than need be.
    I admit she looked abit distracted before it was announced. But as huge a show as she was so involved in, how can you blame her.
    But when the name was announced her expression changed right away.
    These women know eachother well and I am sure are happy for eachother.
    If anything, I think there has got to be a feeling when you know you are not part of an "in clique".
    You can definately feel it. I have a feeling she knew what was coming and may not have wanted to deal with it.
    But as clear as it is that there is a major voting block going on, she must have known there was a slim chance of winning.
    We can imagine all sorts of things about whats going on, but when you are "in it", it's real obvious when you are "not the one"!
    teesharky and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Maybe Jason can call up Carrie and have a drink with her and talk about the CMA's - "So that CMAs huh? So weird. You not getting FVOTY and me not getting MOTY and EOTY. And we lost to a married couple!"

Then again, that's probably not a good idea since Jason's recent fling was with a Carrie look-alike.
    nccountrygal and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymusicfan15 View Post
    Honestly, I think Carrie feels worse for us. She knows how bad we want her to win these awards. I just hope she doesn't blame herself because it's not her fault at all!!!! She is the best, and we all know it. and that's what really matters...when the ones you love performing for, love all that you do
    I Agree

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    I just re-watched that segment like 5x and I did not read sadness or disappointment at all on Carrie's face. She had more of what I thought was a 'concentrated' look, almost like she was thinking of 'hosting duties' or something. But as Robin pointed out, that expression was before the announcement of the winner. When one of the presenters said "oh, shoot", it seemed that Carrie had a confused look on her face momentarily. Then when she heard Miranda's name, she smiled and clapped. Anyway, that's my take on it.
    pkc4rls, liz278 and Pi314CA like this.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    Exactly...I mean if WE as fans, total outsiders knew she had little chance of winning, you know Carrie knew. She was already bummed before they even started to announce it. Which is why I'm glad Miranda didn't act like she was totally shocked when she won. I'm really hoping the ACM's give Carrie credit where credit is due.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Carrie and Brad really are the best hosts! They should get a special award just for that haha
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Hmm...interesting
    "Worst Potential Trend: I take nothing away from Blake Shelton or Miranda Lambert — I do like them (especially Lambert) — but I hope that their Ken-Barbie status isn’t what’s making them win so many awards. Shelton’s Entertainer of the Year win especially shocked me, as Red River Blue is merely an okay album and he hasn’t really toured this year due to his commitment to The Voice. I processed it as a reward given to Shelton for his representation of the country brand to the mainstream. (He seemed to take it the same way in his gracious, endearing speech.) While Shelton is certainly a charming guy (but please, enough with the constant drinking humor. We get it! You like drinking!), the award didn’t feel totally merited based on his music career — especially with Jason Aldean in the room. My suspicion is that Shelton’s status as one-half of the biggest power couple in country earned him some extra voter affection."

Concert Stars
    I didn't watch and won't watch (can't stand to watch Miranda win again) - it's funny that they talk about Carrie's face, when all through the night Taylor looked like this was the last place she wanted to be. But yet again they don't talk about Taylor
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I processed it as a reward given to Shelton for his representation of the country brand to the mainstream.
    Carrie has done that way better than Blake ever did. But of course, Blake has the country cred and to some people, Carrie does not.

Junior Carrie Follower Patkid26's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Really great article. Agreed with just about all of it! Glad they mentioned that most people thought Carrie deserved Female Vocalist.
    rainbow1 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUnderwoodismyHero View Post
    Hmm...interesting
    "Worst Potential Trend: I take nothing away from Blake Shelton or Miranda Lambert — I do like them (especially Lambert) — but I hope that their Ken-Barbie status isn’t what’s making them win so many awards. Shelton’s Entertainer of the Year win especially shocked me, as Red River Blue is merely an okay album and he hasn’t really toured this year due to his commitment to The Voice. I processed it as a reward given to Shelton for his representation of the country brand to the mainstream. (He seemed to take it the same way in his gracious, endearing speech.) While Shelton is certainly a charming guy (but please, enough with the constant drinking humor. We get it! You like drinking!), the award didn’t feel totally merited based on his music career — especially with Jason Aldean in the room. My suspicion is that Shelton’s status as one-half of the biggest power couple in country earned him some extra voter affection."
    That quote is pretty accurate, in my view. Shelton does get support within the industry because he gives the brand wider exposure. Eric Church has a point that TV judging is not the most appropriate way to guage a musician's talent - but in terms of entertainment profile, the media exposure is going to trump Opry appearances every time. That, of course, is in the eyes of the industry voters - but they're the ones making the call. Some may see Shelton's image as slightly stereotyped, but, as a recognizable image of "Country", many will still see it as likeable and charming. There'll be dissenters, of course - but many will see him as as figure who's bringing some more focus to the format.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast