Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: 5 Biggest Jaw-Droppers

Concert Stars

2012 CMA Awards: 5 Biggest Jaw-Droppers

Be prepared for five spit takes:
    Best & worst moments of the 2012 CMA Awards
    1. Taylor Swift Goes Home Empty-Handed: Despite being the butt of one of the night's big jokes (more on that later), the record-breaking pop star—wait, country-pop star—failed to capitalize on any of her three nominations, not even for Best Musical Event, for her song from The Hunger Games! Sure, she was between albums this past year, but her Speak Now Tour was a raging success. And was there anyone in Nashville last night who's made more headlines than Swift? Now, don't tell us that the CMAs are all about the music or something!
    ABC/KATHERINE BOMBOY-THORNTON
    2. Swift Rebuke: Minus a very strange joke about trying to induce labor for pregnant Sugarland belle Jennifer Nettles, hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood let their fellow artists be and kept most of their punchlines pegged to current events. They even danced "Gangnam Style" for way more than the allotted time it takes to make sure a gag doesn't get old. But Taylor Swift's latest breakup took center stage: Paisley marveled over the Schwarzenegger-for-Swift trade made by the Kennedy family and then went on to talk about them "never, ever, never, ever, etc" getting back together. "Maybe she'll write a song about it," Paisley got in one last dig. "She'd never do that," chided Underwood. Yeesh, excuse Taylor for breathing!
    Shocker? Jason Aldean hit the red carpet with wife Jessica
    ABC/KATHERINE BOMBOY-THORNTON
    3. Blake Shelton Steals the Show: We've never seen anyone so stunned by his own good fortune. The Voice judge (he called it his "side job," FTW) walked away with a leading three wins: Male Vocalist of the Year, Song of the Year (he accepted with wife and Female Vocalist of the Year Miranda Lambert to make for one of the ceremony's most emotional moments) and—the big enchilada—Entertainer of the Year, his first time winning the CMA Awards' top prize and easily the most jaw-dropping moment of the night for him. "You can tell this time I really didn't think I was gonna win," he said onstage after doing a literal double take in his seat.
    Jason Kempin/Getty Images
    4. Kelly Clarkson Goes Full Country: We've seen this before, with Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow, Gwyneth Paltrow and other stars from different genres who end up stumbling upon a country-friendly hit and decide to stay put for a spell. And Clarkson had that big, Grammy-nominated hit in 2010 with Jason Aldean, "Don't You Wanna Stay." But now she's landing nominations for Female Vocalist of the Year and channeling Dolly Parton on the very "Islands in the Stream"-reminiscent "Don't Rush," her new duet with Vince Gill. All right, Kelly, welcome to the party! But don't forget to thank American Idol—Carrie always does.
    Jason Kempin/Getty Images
    5. Hunter Hayes Forgets Someone: After Carrie Underwood made a big show of introducing her adorable touring partner, Hunter Hayes, before his first-ever CMA Awards performance, it seemed only reasonable that he would return the love at some point. So after the 21-year-old "Wanted" singer had accepted his statue for New Artist of the Year, we flipped back and watched again, thinking we had to be mistaken. But we weren't. He forgot to thank Underwood! Good luck packin' those arenas on your own, kid.
    2012 Cma Awards 5 Biggest Jaw Droppers | E! Online

Concert Stars
    Wow at number 5. He was so surprised I'm certain it just slipped his mind!!!!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Ok, # 5 is way out of line.

The kid just won his first CMA which also happens to be one of the biggest ones to win, he was clearly in a state of surprise & shock and didn't know what to say.

Come on E! cut the young man some slack.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars

Cma

No. 5 was the very 1st thing that popped into my mind even before Hunter started to speak, don't forget the thank Carrie. Still so happy for him.
    rainbow1 likes this.

opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I was waiting for Hunter to say something about the tour also but you know the mind is befuddled upon winning and everything is a big whirl. At least he and Carrie got some tour coverage here- Congrats to Hunter! - maybe if you're not country you may be surprised about Swift but I thought it should have been Jason Aldean's night- Swift may be in the category of OK she's won enough, next - KC country? she sounded more POP than ever on that song- Blake Shelton is not someone on my radar - I like Miranda though

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    I was waiting for Hunter to say something about the tour also but you know the mind is befuddled upon winning and everything is a big whirl. At least he and Carrie got some tour coverage here- Congrats to Hunter! - maybe if you're not country you may be surprised about Swift but I thought it should have been Jason Aldean's night- Swift may be in the category of OK she's won enough, next - KC country? she sounded more POP than ever on that song- Blake Shelton is not someone on my radar - I like Miranda though
    I agree; I really thought this was Jason's award to lose. He had a stellar year. ANd if he didn't win, I actually thought it would go to Taylor. I was not expecting Blake to win.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    This seems to be writen by a T fan. Numerous mentions and all slanted towards her. Thats cool.
    But just for the record? If Taylor did not intentionally make her love life known and publically announce that all her songs about her temporary boyfriends, no one would care!

The shock was that Jason didn't win. The winner, for me, was not much less industry manufactured than if T had won.

Concert Stars
    ^^ I was thinking the same thing - if Taylor invites the press into her dating life to make PR for her album release then she has to expect things like this to come of it -
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Not just expect it, anticipate it!
    If people don't talk, that is when she is disappointed.
    As long as she is getting attention during the openning monologue of the 2012 CMA Awards, she is succeeding at what her intentions were.
    Lets not pretend!

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Ok, # 5 is way out of line.

The kid just won his first CMA which also happens to be one of the biggest ones to win, he was clearly in a state of surprise & shock and didn't know what to say.

Come on E! cut the young man some slack.

I agree. E! is making too a big a deal out of this. IMO it's just a case of absolute shock of winning his first CMA. He has expressed plenty of times his appreciation and admiration for Carrie in his tweets and interviews, there's no doubt that he's thankful of the opportunity Carrie gave him. Give the kid a break, E!

Anyway, congrats Hunter for the CMA win.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Why did Kellie Pickler cut off her hair? Voted for Carrie for best dressed.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Slightly annoyed (but not at all surprised) about the poor Taylor slant in the media. That joke was just a play on words for a song Taylor actually wrote.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_Rocks_The_House View Post
    Why did Kellie Pickler cut off her hair? Voted for Carrie for best dressed.
    She did it for a friend of hers that has cancer.
    glenn7 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I agree. E! is making too a big a deal out of this. IMO it's just a case of absolute shock of winning his first CMA. He has expressed plenty of times his appreciation and admiration for Carrie in his tweets and interviews, there's no doubt that he's thankful of the opportunity Carrie gave him. Give the kid a break, E!

Anyway, congrats Hunter for the CMA win.
    I Agree With You
    Claire2004 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
    Slightly annoyed (but not at all surprised) about the poor Taylor slant in the media. That joke was just a play on words for a song Taylor actually wrote.
    And really, for all the silliness in that song, it was very mock-worthy.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Hil
    I noticed he didn't thank Carrie, but of course I would. lol.....

Carrie Guru
    I didn't think that Hunter needed to thank Carrie in this particular instance. Imao she didn't have anything to do with his talent and the success of his single or winning the award. Carrie didn't thank Brad or Kenny or whoever she toured with when she won.

Concert Stars
    agree with this article!!!

while i would of have love hunter to thank carrie, just to here the name carrie underwood, he didn't have to and didn't and i am ok with that, but it would of have been awesome if Hunter had thanked Carrie in his acceptance speech.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast