Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: TOC 2BC song review

TOC 2BC song review

Carrie Underwood used Twitter to announce that her new single would be ‘Two Black Cadillacs,’ the darkest song on a delightfully stormy new album called ‘Blown Away.’ The lyric pushes the normally plucky country superstar to the edge of evil. It’s as far as she can go without falling off the cliff of believability.

‘Two Black Cadillacs’ will draw comparisons to ‘Goodbye Earl’ from the Dixie Chicks or even ‘Gunpowder and Lead’ by Miranda Lambert. Underwood’s mid-tempo husband killer isn’t as empowering as those hits, however. It’s theater that stays on stage.

“Two black Cadillacs driving in a slow parade / Headlights shining bright in the middle of the day / One is for his wife / The other for the woman who loved him at night / Two black Cadillacs meeting for the first time,” she sings to begin the song. The radio single is unlikely to include the minute-long instrumental tail that takes the cut to over five minutes on the album.

A strong chorus keeps the story from wearing thin after repeated listens. Vocally, Underwood is brilliant as always, and lyrically, she, Hillary Lindsey and Josh Kear have penned a tight story. Like a good movie, however, it is susceptible to fatigue unless there are one or two great scenes to return to. The chorus is that scene.

“And the preacher said he was a good man / And his brother said he was a good friend / But the women in the two black veils didn’t bother to cry.”

The song’s best lines come late:

“It was the first and the last time they saw each other face to face / They shared a crimson smile and just walked away / And left the secret at the grave.”

Musically, the arrangement is made to fit the story. A piano trickles during the introduction before more brooding strings and guitar take over. Compared to Underwood’s other hits, this song doesn’t stand out after one digests the macabre storyline. So, maybe it’ll only sell a million singles and reach No. 2.

3 1/2 stars
    robinannhunt likes this.

The song deserves more.

So, maybe it’ll only sell a million singles and reach No. 2.
    Since when is this bad?
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Concert Stars
    link please?

Weird, they seem to LOVE the song and then only give it 3.5/5? And say that it doesn't stand out enough against her other singles? Hmmm I definitely disagree with them there, I think this song is amazing, one of her best songs/co-writes ever, and a HUGE standout.

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Weird, they seem to LOVE the song and then only give it 3.5/5? And say that it doesn't stand out enough against her other singles? Hmmm I definitely disagree with them there, I think this song is amazing, one of her best songs/co-writes ever, and a HUGE standout.
    2nd best song off the album It does stand out indeed. They are out of their minds lol

Concert Stars
    this song deserves more!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    Ha ha, I'm thnkin they love Red though.

Concert Stars
    3.5/5 is a good review guys haha we cant always have 5/5
    robinannhunt likes this.

I love this line

"So, maybe it’ll only sell a million singles and reach No. 2."
    pklongbeach and Schrodinger like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I don't think comparisons with "Goodbye Earl" and "Gunpowder and Lead" really get to the heart of what Carrie and her co-writers were trying to do with this song. "Goodbye Earl" does stem from the murder ballad tradition, but I think there are two aspects which make it significantly less sinister than TBC. Firstly the two women in GE have more justification for their action, which is taken "in extremis", after one of them is put in intensive care, by a man who ignored a court restraining order. Secondly, much of the latter part of GE is softened by comedy touches (made even more apparent by the video). By contrast, there's no comedy in TBC - and much less justification - which makes it much more chilling and more central to the "woman scorned" revenge tradition.
    "Gunpowder and Lead" is more of a rumbustious "I'm coming to get you song". Call it empowering if you like, but it comes across to me as a more predictable fantasy, whereas TBC's matter-of-fact acceptance of the deed, understated as to detail, but highlighted by the funeral imagery, and lines like the lack of reaction to the preacher's words, the veils and roses, the crimson smiles - actually make the scenario more chillingly believable.

TBC is a song in the "Southern Gothic" tradition - this is apparent in the lack of any real justification, the predominantly slow music, the Blues touches, and the focus on chilling, small but unexpected details in the narration.

The recent song I'd most compare it with is neither of the two the reviewer names - but something more like Matraca Berg's "Your Husband Is Cheating On Us." Although that song supplies more background detail, and doesn't actually end in a killing at all (though that comes as somewhat a surprise after the build up), I see similarities in type - the focus on building a story, the slower pace of delivery, the stylistic input from Blues, and the sinister feel to the details highlighted by the singer's narration. I actually see Carrie's decision to bring a song of this general type to the Mainstream as a bigger step than either of the two examples the reviewer named.

Carrie Follower
    Odd review. I do think that Two Black Cadillacs isn't as immediate as a lot of her singles, but it definitely stands the test of time IMO.

Concert Stars
    Everyone, I mean everyone I know loves Two Black Cadillacs! Country fans and no country fans..

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Carrie Underwood, ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ – Song Review

Carrie Underwood, ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ – Song Review

Carrie Underwood used Twitter to announce that her new single would be ‘Two Black Cadillacs,’ the darkest song on a delightfully stormy new album called ‘Blown Away.’ The lyric pushes the normally plucky country superstar to the edge of evil. It’s as far as she can go without falling off the cliff of believability.
    ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ will draw comparisons to ‘Goodbye Earl’ from the Dixie Chicks or even ‘Gunpowder and Lead’ by Miranda Lambert. Underwood’s mid-tempo husband killer isn’t as empowering as those hits, however. It’s theater that stays on stage.
    Two black Cadillacs driving in a slow parade / Headlights shining bright in the middle of the day / One is for his wife / The other for the woman who loved him at night / Two black Cadillacs meeting for the first time,” she sings to begin the song. The radio single is unlikely to include the minute-long instrumental tail that takes the cut to over five minutes on the album.
    A strong chorus keeps the story from wearing thin after repeated listens. Vocally, Underwood is brilliant as always, and lyrically, she, Hillary Lindsey and Josh Kear have penned a tight story. Like a good movie, however, it is susceptible to fatigue unless there are one or two great scenes to return to. The chorus is that scene.
    And the preacher said he was a good man / And his brother said he was a good friend / But the women in the two black veils didn’t bother to cry.”
    The song’s best lines come late:
    It was the first and the last time they saw each other face to face / They shared a crimson smile and just walked away / And left the secret at the grave.”
    Musically, the arrangement is made to fit the story. A piano trickles during the introduction before more brooding strings and guitar take over. Compared to Underwood’s other hits, this song doesn’t stand out after one digests the macabre storyline. So, maybe it’ll only sell a million singles and reach No. 2.

Taste of Country Rating: 3 1/2 Stars
    jaylee50 and Gator like this.

Carrie Follower
    I don't know what to make of the last sentence. Half sarcasm-half truth?

Hhmm.. I am confident TBC will go all the way to the top.

Concert Stars
    Either way, i think it is odd that the reviwer seems to like it so much than proceedes to give it such an average grade.

Concert Stars
    Whoever wrote that review is an idiot. This song will be a number one song and sell more than a million easily. IMO, it's the best song on the cd.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Also,this song DOESNT sound like anything she's released before.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    The song deserves more.

Since when is this bad?
    I remember the days of 45RPM records where selling 100,000 was considered fantastic. By all measures this song will be extremely sucessful.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast